What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Mickey Mouse In Black And White" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is there any way you can do a comparison on the shows on the "Behind the Scenes" DVD with tapes of their Disney channel airings?
James, you ask the impossible. I don't even know where
to get the tapes you suggest, and frankly, it seems a
little more involved than I want to get with this.
Sorry, buddy.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Thank you for the review!:emoji_thumbsup:
Can't wait to get this along with my Lilo and Stitch (!) on Dec. 3!!!!!

Alex S

Second Unit
I'm getting all 3 for Christmas.
:)
The Walt Disney Treasures are some of my favorite disks I own.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Jo_C wrote:

"One question that I just have to ask, guys...do these cartoons on the DVD collection have the original front and end credits (as opposed to the 'modified' reissue credits we've all seen through the years)?"

---

I don't know for sure, but I think the Goofy shorts and most of the other Disney shorts have their original credits. Have we really seen a lot of modified credits on Disney shorts? I think there are modified credits on quite a lot of the B&W Mickey shorts because the originals went missing, but how about the rest?

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Ron,

I was hoping you would review the new wave of tins. I cannot wait to get my hands on this and the Goofy sets. Last years Mickey and Silly Symphonies sets are incredible.

Once again, great review, and bravo to Mr. Maltin on preserving the original cuts of these early works of animation. How can we learn for something if all we try to do is forget them.

-Dean-

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's worth pointing out what a fantastic bargain these sets are. Many years ago I used to buy 8mm films and to buy just one Walt Disney sound cartoon must have been the equivalent of the cost of this DVD set containing over 34 cartoons! In those far off days I dreamt about being able to own a library of Disney cartoons. My dream has now come true!

Elvie

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! Thanks Ron for all the work you've done for the review :emoji_thumbsup:
I know what I'll be asking Santa for at xmas :)

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
(which didn't even have the bonus materials)!
The laser box had lots of bonus material, just not as much as the DVD. Is ALL of the laser's bonus stuff on the DVD? Is there any reason to keep it. Also, what about the 2nd B&W box that only came out in Japan (red box instead of white), are all of those cartoons included here also?

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
The laserdisc box (MM BW vol. 1) has the pencil test from Mail Pilot, numerous story sketches and the Academy Awards Nominees short in color from 1932.

Not sure about that color piece from 1932 but the rest of the material from the LD set seems to be included on the DVD set.

There is supposedly only one complete MM short on the DVD set that was not already on the LD set (The Karnival Kid), so the DVD set does definitely not include the contents of a second LD set.

BTW: About that Japanese "vol. 2" - it was mentioned on this forum a few weeks ago as well, but I have never seen it or heard about it (until then) and no one has been able to provide any real info about it - such as catalog # and contents.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
About that Japanese “vol. 2” - it was mentioned on this forum a few weeks ago as well, but I have never seen it or heard about it (until then) and no one has been able to provide any real info about it - such as catalog # and contents.
I was the one who mentioned it. I used to see one for sale in Tower in Greenwich Village back when they had lasers. I never bought it because they wanted $250 for it (it stayed in the bin for at least a year, so others obviously had the same problem with the price). Unfortunately, I don't recall which cartoons were in it.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Great review.

Leonard Maltin gave a similar speech about stereotypes
in the SILLY SYMPHONIES set,
and while he was talking, the "Jewish peddler" original
sequence of THREE LITTLE PIGS was shown in the background.
But, as far as I could see,
within the body of the actual cartoon itself,
the re-edited, "non stereotypical" version was
shown only.

Ron, is the "controversial footage" in this set
shown within the body of the work this time?
Or only during Maltin's comments?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see such an introduction before a release of Song of the South, or a truly uncut edition of Fantasia.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brenton,

Oops! A definite typo that the spellchecker
did not pick up. Thanks.

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
James, you ask the impossible. I don't even know where to get the tapes you suggest, and frankly, it seems a little more involved than I want to get with this.
Actually, Ron. There IS a MUCH easier way to tell if the programs were edited by using the time elapsed/time remaining function of your DVD player. Judging from the "Davy Crockett" episodes, Each actual episode should run 48 minutes followed by 5 minutes of footage from next week's "Disneyland" episode. If The time displayed at the end of each episode (Before "Next Week's" preview) is 0:48:xx, then that means Disney didn't tinker with it. If Disney removes the previews for "Next Week's Show," that wouldn't be tinkering in my eyes, just as long as the actual episode runs 48 minutes before end credits

Patrick Picking

Auditioning
I asked Leonard Maltin yesterday if any of these cartoons were edited and he said:

"Hi... These cartoons are shown intact. Period."

I then asked him if Song of the South would ever be released again and he said:

"I love this film, and so do a lot of people at Disney who are trying to get an OK to release it."

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Is this batch limited to 150K also like the first batch?

Great review Ron, I've got this one on a Christmas list.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
It's up for sale on eBay right now!
When I get home, I'll go over what's on the U.S. version and the Japanese version. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks