What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Mickey Mouse In Black And White" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Anyone noticed that "Mickey's Service Station" is in stereo? All the others are in the original mono sound so it's odd that this one should be in stereo. There are no real separation effects but it adds considerable spaciousness to the music.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I noticed the stereo audio on that one also. I think that was the last cartoon in series (chronological order). I would imagine it might have been one of the first few films to use stereo.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to watching this set over the last two nights. This is some really good stuff.
Minor nit-pic;
The short Maltin bit regarding stereotypes and what have you (I'll call it the disclaimer) is great but I wish they had done it differently. I wish they had made this the first thing that plays after you put in the disc (also having it selectable from the menu) instead of the Maltin intro. Instead, the disclaimer plays at the beginning of every short that contains problematic material.
Which leads me to my question. The disclaimer plays at the beginning of Gulliver Mickey and nothing in that short jumped out at me as being offensive/objectionable. Can someone enlighten me here? :b

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to bump this up, but I JUST now got around to watching this, having just got the ones that came out this week too, and there's a glitch on my Pioneer DVL-909 right at the end of "The Mail Plane" which is Title 7 on disc 2. During "The End" card it stutters and freezes when they sing "The mail must go through", and looking at the time counter it stops counting at 7:19. I checked it on my PS2 and 2 El Cheapo players and they played through fine, I also checked it on my Philips DVD recorder and while it also played fine on that the counter jumped to 14:20!
My DVL-909 has the Macrovision disabled, since on my TV it bends the top of the picture, so I prefer to watch this on that player, and I'm obsessive enough to care even though it's during the "The End" card. Has anyone else had problems with this part of the disc? It looks to be an authoring problem (rather than the individual disc) since it makes the time counter go nuts. I'm not sure if Disney would do anything about it at this point either.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Jesse,
I have a DVL-909 as well (un-modded). There are a number of discs I have that behave strangely in this player, but play fine in others. Nearly every one of them is a DVD-9 pressed by Technicolor, as most Disney titles are. Usually the freezing was near a layer change. I was wondering if it was an alignment issue, but I only use mine to play laserdiscs these days, so I never got it checked out.

Regards,

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The only other disc I have that this player has trouble with is Monsters Inc, freezes at the layer change. My home-recorded DVDs have played fine on this machine too. Since the Mickey disc makes the time counter act funny in 2 different machines I'm thinking it's an authoring problem, but has anyone else noticed this? I haven't had time to call Disney's 800 number, though I doubt they'd have much to say judging how they handled the Monsters Inc problem.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Does his response mean that there's no chance of getting the original 3 Little Pigs?"

I really think this is a moot point, because Walt personally ordered the change, and he wasn't in business to intentionally offend people. He was guilty of bad taste on more than one occasion, and he started receiving complaint letters about Pigs from Jewish audience members two weeks into the short's release (if memory serves). I think the modern company made the right decision and released the version Walt Disney would want you to see, and the version most people have grown up with since the late 30's. No complaints from me.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Mickey B&W short The Klondike Kid is missing its end title music....I know that almost every short on here has altered titles but this looks like it was done in the 40's or '50's....shame.

Joon Hartzell

Auditioning

I hate it when the DVD freezes. One time, I was watching 2001: Space Odyssey and the movie froze. It made me really mad.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to bump such an old thread!

Does anyone know if this set originally came with a Certificate of Authenticity? The reason being I sold mine on eBay recently, and the buyer is claiming that it is missing, but I don't ever recall there being one.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
No certificate in volume 1, however volume 2 does contain a certificate. Volume 1 also has the limited numbering stamped into the tin, whereas volume 2 is generic. As I recall, the certificates started appearing when the tin stamping stopped.

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator
I just checked mine. Volume One didn't come with a COA, but Volume Two did. The COA in Volume Two lists the individual # (XXX,XXX out of 175,000). Volume One has the number stamped into the outer metal case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks