What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Well. I just got mine from Canada this morning, and I have to say that I am very happy with it. The transfer looked great to me, except at the first(like everyone has pointed out)and the scene in the bar with Hagrid, those scenes are very grainy, but are the result of super35, I noticed the same thing in the theater, other than that, it was great. The sound was good too, it wasn't very active, but did the job , and was exactly like I remember it in the theater,the suurounds were used very well with the score, and other select scenes(the letters,the quiditch match,the keys). As for the extras, they stink, and that is coming from a very big Harry Potter fan, but they are better than no extras. All in all, I wasn't let down, but would have liked a 1 hour documentary and/or a commentary.

Derek

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I too got the Canadian version this morning, and I am very pleased with it on the whole. I've yet to get to the deleted scenes on disc 2, but the interviews available right from the main menu of the second disc are better than I was expecting. Disc 2 as a whole is well executed to be sure, just rather pointless to most ofus.

The transfer of the film itself I am honestly very pleased with, it represents what I saw theatrically, and actually betters the theatrical print viewings I saw in a few areas.

Dan

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I got my "Philosopher's" version from Canada yesterday and had time to watch the first hour of the movie and it looks/sounds really good to me. I am very pleased I decided to purchase this one.
It's also good to hear the original "English" version I wasn't allowed to hear in the theater.:emoji_thumbsup:
Rob

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My copy's on it's way.
BTW... has anyone seen this page? It's quite interesting. Most interesting for me was that many of the effects shots and not completely pan and scanned and actually have more CG work than the widescreen version. Still, I find the original 2.35:1 framing to be more agreeable (And you still do lose significant amounts on the sides.) Also, some shots cheat abit... they show information in the P&S version not on the widescreen version that would come into frame on the widescreen version a second or so later.

Oscar

Second Unit
Geez,what Adam said will make Joe Six Packs who will buy the disc and they will send an e-mail to any of us saying "YOU SEE! WIDESCREEN SUCKS! FULL SCREEN IS THE WAY TO GO!" :eek:
I will buy the Widescreen version, of course of the version with adult extras. ;)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, are you saying it was filmed at 1.85:1 and then matted to 2.35:1 for theatrical release. Then the P&S was made from the 1.85:1 material?

Has any other film ever done it this way?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Trying to make up my mind which version I will get. The US version at a B&M or order the Canadian version from Ent Warehouse.

Any help would be appreciated. Are the only differences the title and reference in the film to Philosophers's/Sorcerer's stone? Or are there other reasons to go for the Canadian version as well?

Also, anyone have a coupon code for Ent. Warehouse?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have only seen the Canadian version, but based on the reviews of the American edition, the overall content is identical, title changes excepted.

The title changes are on packaging, disc artwork, and 4-5 times spoken in the movie, along with one visual (a page from a book).

- Steve

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The trailers on disc 1 of the canadian version also show the correct title at the end.

Dan

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
John: Well, I found that with the exchange rates being what they were when I ordered it, fully shipped it was about the same as Amazon.Com before shipping.

Does anyone else hate Canada Post's tracking? It gives you nice detailed tracking through canada, but once it crosses the border, all you get is: "The item has entered the destination country."

Since it shipped from Ontario, I'm hoping it will just go down the state from the northwest, rather than down through the Midwest, back over to NYC, then up to Albany.

I could get it today, or sometime next week.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I have only seen the Canadian version, but based on the reviews of the American edition, the overall content is identical, title changes excepted.
The DVD's producer confirmed last week that the discs' contents (aside from the title change and few scenes of dialogue to reflect that) are identical around the world. That's why the disc 2 supplements feature a narrator. They could keep the content the same and just change the narrator's language for various countries. The DVD is available in 27 languages.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The hoops to see the deleted scenes are extremely annoying! I can't imagine in this day and age of video games any child will find these rudimentary games entertaining. Esecially since Harry Potter mainly skews towards middle schoolers.

The film itself looks wonderful (remembering that the theatrical prints weren't the sharpest) and I enjoy the novelty of owning the Philosopher's Stone version. But the extras are a waste (and the deleted scenes unexceptional since none of the Percy scenes are included).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just finished watching this on my Mits. 55' WS HDTV and I was VERY pleased with the sound and picture.
This is exactly the way I remember it in the theater.
I'm going to test it out on my Portable Panasonic DVD player this weekend when I have to fly home.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Jeff, are you saying it was filmed at 1.85:1 and then matted to 2.35:1 for theatrical release. Then the P&S was made from the 1.85:1 material?

Has any other film ever done it this way?
This is very common. Effects work is frequently output to Vistavision and, based on some making of footage I have been seeing recently, is increasingly being done protected for less wide ratios to ease the pain when panning and scanning effects shots in 2.35:1 films.

Regards,

Travis D

Second Unit
Anybody noticed that warner included 448Kbps Dolby on this? Does that mean the higher bitrate will now be featured on all releases or just the uber-special ones?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well, I finally broke down and bought it yesterd at a local Canadian b&m having never seen the film or read the books.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Kmart priced match for me - I had the actual ad. They had plenty of widescreen copies, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks