What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
You're all welcome for the "pain in the ass" directions. ;)
However, I can't really take the credit. Most of those directions are given earlier in this thread. I just fleshed them out a bit.
Yes, there has never been any suggestion in the film or the book (of which I am aware) that Nicholas Flammel and Dumbeldore are the same person. They are collegues/friends who have done some work in Alchemy together. That much is written on the back of Dumbeldore's card. Harry (or Ron) sees his name on the back of the card on the Hogwart's express, but it is just another name so it is easily forgotten. The next time they hear it from Hagrid's slip is quite a long time after that (the story takes place over about 10 months after all). "Where have I heard that name before?" They can't find his name anywhere (which isn't surprising since he is over 600 years old and probably hasn't done much in "recent history" (except maybe some alchemy work with Dumbeldore) and they also just weren't looking in the right place. The theatrical cut seems to show Hermione making a "leap" and figuring that they should have been looking in an Alchemy book. With the deleted scene, it makes more sense when they read the back of Dumbeldore's card again and saw Flammel's name and that he worked in Alchemy. Then she realzies what book to look in. It would have worked so much better with that scene left in (bad Seamus acting aside).
The book fleshes it out a bit more. If I remember correctly, Dumbeldore states that Flammel gave the Stone to him for safe keeping (partly ?or mostly? because they feared the return of You Know Who). They had some sense that someone may try to steal it which is why Dumbeldore had it brought to Hogwarts (they were lucky, as the vault was broken into the next day!). Once they realized that You Know Who was really out there and trying to come back, Flammel agreed with Dumbeldore that it should be destroyed.
Dumbeldore even mentions Flammel's wife (don't remember if in the book and/or movie), so there realy wasn't any suggestion that they weren't completely separate people. I never even considered that for a second.
I agree that the boy playing Seamus wasn't too good, but he wasn't absolutely horrible either. I think the positives of showing how they made the "Flammel conncetion", showing them studying for and discussing final examinations, and setting up Neville's "stand" later on by far outweighs the questionable acting from Seamus Finnigan.
I also agree the subway scene with Hagrid would have set up his eagerness to have a dragon better.
I strongly feel that the potions class should not have been trimmed. Sure, it doesn't add much "story-wise", but it's heavy in showing the feel of the relationship between Harry, Snape, and Grifindor House. In the theatrical version, harry doesn't stand up for himself and get "cheekey" with Snape. The extended scene had it play out the way it did in the novel. Harry is a very nice person and is at first overwhelmed with this whole new world, but he does stick up for himself when others are being unreasonable towards him. Plus, I liked that while Snape was picking on Harry by pointing out what he didn't know, he also went on to say to the Entire Class "Well, why aren't you all writing this down!?" which kind of gave the feel that he realized that no one else (except for Hermione) knew those answers either.
And then when he told the Grifindors that 5 points will be taken from their house for "Potter's cheek" that showed how Snape likes to take points from Grifindor, from Harry in Particular, and also showed how Harry does tend to loose Grifindor points because of his actions on occasion (I mean, in the book we hear all the time "5 point from Grifindor, 5 points from Grifindor"). That makes it all the better when he wins them a great deal more points. I strongly hope to see the extended version of this scene in any future release.
Ok, I have a job to get back to. :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Agreed on the Snape scene...it would (and should) have fit perfectly into the movie. As it stands, it is almost too much a PITA to hunt down in the supplements, even with directions. Too bad.

- Steve

David Stucky

Auditioning
I got to the 7 cut sceens buy stoping the disc and starting track 81. This track will start with several bottles. Just select the round yellow bottle at the top. In the next sequnce select the red stone and poof you are there looking at the menus sceen for the 7 cut seens.

This is much easier than walking through all the other crap.

Thanks...

Dave

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
EXCELLENT, David!

I tried it and it works! Hit stop, then select track 81. That shows you the very end of the "key choice" (as if you already picked the correct one) and goes directly to the potion choice. Nice!

Thanks alot! Now people can forget about the hoop jumping.

This allows you to get to the deleted scenes VERY Quickly.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Thanks David.

Steve,

I am with you on keeping the extended Snape scene in. I also wished they would of kept the scene in with Harry discovering the name on the card. Those two scenes would of added only 2 minutes to the film, and would of really added to an already great film.

-Dean-

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching HARRY POTTER. A wonderful film, and the transfer looked nice on my 40" 16:9 Samsung. It's not perfect(a little grain here and there) but it should please most viewers. The sound was just fine; it wasn't demo quality, but it was well recorded(especially the score) and it fit the movie very well. I'm looking forward to the sequel. Definitely recommended. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Finally watched the film, thought the picture was pretty good, I didn't notice the grain much at all.
As for the film, I haven't seen a film in a long time where the director just tells the story! No pretentious egotisical signature styles to burden the film. Instead, the director just tells the story, although, it could've added a bit more class to the proceedings. Of course, the film could only have been in England where sets look authentic and have the best cinematographers and technicians. :)
Nice sound, but was expecting a bit more from the surrounds.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I just watched the DVD yesterday (bought it last week). The movie was just as much fun the second time at home as it was in the theater. The DVD presentation was fine to me, but my equipment is the limiting factor, so I wouldn't notice any DVD problems.
As for the "special" features: I consider this the worst set of special features I've seen. The inclusion of a second disc gave me high hopes, but all I've seen so far is an example of the worst point-and-click adventure games from 20 years ago. Everyone says kids will love this stuff, but I would have had even less patience for this as a kid than I do now.
Hopefully one of the many explanations posted here will get me to the actual content on the second disc easily.
In summary:
Good movie
Horrendous special features (they are "special" because they ride the short school bus :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks