What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
These would have made the movie like only 3 minutes longer and I can't see why they were cut
I find that's the case with most deleted scenes in any film. They always seem to run less than a minute. I mean, would it have made a huge difference if the movie was 5 minutes longer?
Agree with your comments about story vs. time. Shame they seem to underestimate the attention span of kids. After all, most of them sat still long enough to read a 350-page book (and the larger ones that followed). That took much longer than 3 hours.
Thanks for the cheat-sheet! :D I tried to find them myself but got discouraged and gave up.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I am surprised that noone has mentioned that the chapter stop titles are very similar to the chapter titles in the original book. A couple of them were slightly changed, and there are more DVD chapters than book chapters, hence the existance of titles not seen on chapters in the book.
But it is obvious that someone paid attention to this aspect of the book-to-video experience. Jolly good! :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching the DVD - first time I have ever seen the movie. Overall, I thought the movie was very well done and the kids were excellent actors. I thought the girl was great in particular.

The transfer is good - good enough. It's certainly not reference quality, but I was satisfied with it. Film grain was definitely noticable, but it seemed as if it was from the source. Some of the darker scenes in the middle to end of movie looked very good.

I did see some edge enhancement, but it didn't bother me too much.

Oscar

Second Unit
Ok guys. Nothing can stop me now, i am going to grab my truck and head to Circuit City.

See ya!

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
What is supposed to happen after you mix the three potions? I think my player has a bug there, after I mix the three potions correctly, it takes me to the flying key puzzle. That doesn't seem right, your supposed to get to that scene after clicking on the flute on the fluffy screen.

Oscar

Second Unit
Just came back.
I am watching the DVD right now the picture is very good, the grainess in the transfer isn´t so bad.
And i think that is done on purpouse to show that the Dursley world is washed-out without any magic.
What i particulary liked about this movie is its timing, which is excellent, just like the original Star Wars triology.
Also i liked how they conceived to mix reality with the magic, particulary in the Zoo sequence.
Also my kids were never so quiet!. They were totally compelled by it! And everybody in the Theater did when i saw it.
But in the second viewing the close-minded gits arrived and they were complaining all the time about the film.
But it surprised me the most, that i wasn´t enjoying the film second time around than the first.
Maybe it was because i wasn´t so active those times.
But now, on DVD is a very enjoyable experience. :emoji_thumbsup:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Oscar, it only took you 13 minutes to drive to Circuit City, buy the DVD, get back home, and start watching? CC must be just down the block from you? :)
Finally watched the deleted scenes thanks to Sean's hints. Agree that most could have been left in. The card scene may have been cut because the kid playing Seamus wasn't very good in that scene. He had a rather long set of lines and seemed to force them out like he was having a hard time remembering them and wanted to get them out quick before he forgot them.
The extended Snape scene was good, but it didn't add much that wasn't there already. However, anything that would give Alan Rickman more screen time is a good thing! He's so much fun to watch when playing a (presumed) evil character.
The one I think was critical was Hagrid and Harry on the train. That included the "dragon" conversation that Harry refers to later in the movie.
I would have left them all in, except for those in the Dursley's house. The sooner we leave the Dursley's, the better.

Oscar

Second Unit
By the way Sean, i will also try the pain in the ass.
I will grab a sharpened pencil and pinch one of my buttocks. :D

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
The extened scene in Snape's potion class should absolutely NOT have been trimmed, and the scene when they saw Nicholas Flammel's name on the back of Dumbeldore's card should also not have been removed (it showed more of how they made the Flammel connection and it also showed them talking about finals and studying, which was nice since the film had so little of them in classes/studying like you get in the books; in the movie it's almost like a "throw away line" that they even had FINALS). These would have made the movie like only 3 minutes longer and I can't see why they were cut except that it seems they were hung up on needing the film to be under 2½ hours.
On the Nicholas Flammel thing, is the movie trying to say that Dumbeldore is Flamel? I sort of got that, but wasn't really sure.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Neither the film nor the book suggest that Dumbeldore is Flammel. They were associates. I don't remember that Flammel is ever seen in any of the books, but I beleive it's suggested that he's in hiding, and that:

Philosopher's Stone Spoiler:

Upon the destruction of the Philosopher's Stone, he will eventually grow old and die. I get the impression that he's lived quite longer than usual with the help of the stone.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
John Berggren is correct on all counts, including that Flammel is never seen in person in any the released-so-far books.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
At the end of the movie, when Harry is talking to Dumbledore in the Hospital Wing, Dumbledore mentions that Flamel is over 600 years old.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
See that's the thing, the way Dumbledore talks about 'eventually grow old and die' along with the look in his eyes, is what made me think they were inferring they were one and the same.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
It took my wife close to 45 minutes last night to work her way through to the deleted scenes. She was so pissed off by then that she almost didn't want to watch.

Here comes the bummer....you cannot just jump to the scenes by going to their Titles. My Sony tells me "Operation Not Supported" or something like that.

As for disc 1, maybe it's because I don't have a 50" 16:9 HDTV that cost a gajillion dollars but I thought the transfer looked great and far surpassed my original theater experience.

Users who are viewing this thread