What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Field of Dreams - Anniversary Edition (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Too bad the bonus disc was at W*l-Mart and not Best Buy. I bought mine there today. Is the Bouzereau doc worth it if I can find the old disc for about $10?

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
This was a guarantee for my collection before it was even released. I lived in Dubuque, Iowa (having grown up very near Dyersville itself) and they actually closed down my street at one point for filming. My apartment door is one of the doors as Ray looks along for the first door with out a chicken in it, trying to find Terrance Mann's apt.... I'm not Terrance's door, but just before it!!!

Little things like my usual gas station stop, old Galena stores (great town for antiquing), etc remind me of home... In CA now and miss Iowa a lot...

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Just picked up my copy with the Bonus Disc at Walmart. $15.19 plus tax. That's a great deal. Looking forward to viewing all the extras.

Bret Saberhagen was on the Jim Rome show this morning talking about the film and the roundtable with Costner, George Brett and Johnny Bench. He's coaching high school baseball in the San Fernando Valley in SoCal. Also playing in a over 30 baseball league at shortstop.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Got mine from Wal-Mart today for $15.88 with the bonus disc. Will check the lenght of the scrapbook when I get home!

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Well, I've got both versions now. Question though. Where on the original is the isolated score? Is it DVD-Rom material, or am I just a moron? I can't find it.

Ah, documentary section, got it... =)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick question: if I own and plan to keep the original, I don't need to get the Walmart version, right? The exclusive doc is the same/similar to the one on the original? There's no WM near me and I live across the street from a Best Buy... ;)

Thanks!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what does that mean?

the wal-mart version has some exclusives that may be intersting for you if you are a big baseball fan.

check the other thread for what is on it.
but the 90 minute doc is on the old one and the new
wal-mart version.

greg_t

Screenwriter
My local Walmart only had FullScreen :angry: Another lost sale due to not having OAR. I also planned on buying Mystic River and passed on it as well.

Saburo

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Just curious: are there any features on this DVD that were from old LASER DISC releases?

I guess I'll be heading out to wal-mart tonight, no matter what...

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The new transfer looks great, and even the DTS track adds a nice kick to the score.

I must however give a :thumbsdown: to Universal for spoiling the ending in the menu screen.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
My local Wal-Mart also only had the full screen version displayed. I almost left disgusted, but decided to ask the clerk if they carried the widescreen version. She pulled it from a locked shelf behind the counter. Of course, that means most people will pick up the crap version on display and never know there is a widescreen version available for sale @ Wal-Mart. Typical...

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Luckily, my Wal-Mart had widescreen, but nowhere near as many as the fullscreen version and they were at $19.77. I am going to have to bring in the Best Buy flier tomorrow to try to see if they will price match.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Got mine at Wal*Mart and it rang up at $15.87 I even had the Best But circular with me just in case.

Speaking of the bonus disc, it's great that it made the 90min documentary attainable, but is anyone here a little bit wary at the same time? Most of the time, the exculsive disc was of little concern because usually all it contained was some throwaway EPK featurette or something like that. But in the case of Field of Dreams we are looking at some real substantial value in the exclusive disc. I guess I worry that this could lead to a future trend of the reservation of very valuable extra content for exculsives that will not be attainable to people who do not have the said store near them.

Jason Perez

Second Unit
To all:

I must apologize (again)...the trailer is NOT included in this set!

Not to make excuses, but I have been helping some family members deal with some personal stuff, and haven't been at home much. Having very limited free time the last few weeks, the only way I could get all these reviews up was to save typing time by working off of a previous review to do both the Pitch Black and Field of Dreams reviews.

To save even more time, before opening either disc, I changed all the incidentals: running time, rating, etc. Well part of this was assuming that the theatrical trailers were included and typed that in both. What ended up happening later was that I got so caught up in perfecting the film and A/V sections of both reviews, and triple checking grammar and spelling, that I neglected to remove the erroneous statements about the trailers.

I really hope that you all can forgive me for this, and sincerely hope that these statements did not cause anyone any irritation. Ironically, in my effort to give you the best reviews possible, I ended up focusing on some parts of these reviews so much that I completely overlooked that detail, and I know trailers are really important to some of you. For some reason, I just thought I was done with the extras section on both reviews, and spent too much time elsewhere instead of checking everything over against the disc like I usually do. Unfortunately, I just did not have the time before these titles streeted.

In any case, I wanted to be a man about it, and own up to my mistakes, instead of trying to hope no one would call me on them. Again, I am not excusing these two oversights, and I assure you that it will not happen again. I hope the reviews proved helpful otherwise...

Thanks for all of your support!!!

Regards,

Jason

Greg Thomas

Second Unit

The Walmart near me had WAY more Full Frame editions than Widescreen. In fact the FF version was what was advertised on sale for $15.19. My widescreen disc was not with the major Field of Dreams display but on a shelf with Mystic River and other new releases. I'd say it was easily 10-1 FF vs WS at Walmart. But at least the WS rang up at the same price.

Maybe the typical WalMart customer doesn't like the black lines above and below the movie and doesn't understand OAR. Perhaps they buy their TV's there also. Does WM even carry HDTV's?

I'm gonna watch it on my buddy's X1 projector next week.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Hey, it's no biggie. I was just curious. I like having the trailers for films, but it's not an absolute necessity or anything.

I hope everything is alright with your family. That's a little more important than remembering whether or not a DVD includes a trailer, so don't sweat it.

Thanks for a great review. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I paid $20.66 (after tax) for the three-disc version at Wal*Mart yesterday afternoon. They had devoted a good portion of their "new releases" endcap display to the film, and it was about 50-50 widescreen/pan-and-scan. All the copies on the shelf, both WS and PS, included the bonus third disc, which comes in one of those small cardboard sleeves attached to the back of the keepcase. I haven't had a chance to watch any of the three discs yet, but as "Field of Dreams" is one of my favorite films of all time, I'm really looking forward to doing so.

Quick semi-related question: does anyone make three disc keepcases that are the same size as a normal keepcase? I only ask because I'd like to have all three discs together in one case, each with its own individual tray, and not have to do any alterations to the cover art, especially since it comes in a cardboard slipcover. Thanks in advance!

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I picked up the three-disc version, via Wal-Mart.

I must say, though - I only got a few minutes to take a quick look last night, and wasn't bowled over by the new transfer. I stuck the old non-anamorphic disc in (on my Pioneer 53", some non-anamorphic discs display the same as enhanced ones, filling my 16:9 display, as opposed to being bordered on all four sides- this is one of them) and didn't find the difference to be nearly as exciting as the review indicated. I can't help but feel it could have looked a lot better.

Of course, YMMV.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just put the little cardbaord bonus dvd inside the case were the paper is.
it fits right in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks