What's new

How popular is your last name? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
944. Very suprised at how common it is, guess it's due to Scots getting everywhere :)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm at 18,258. Out of 55,000 surnames, I'm surprised it ranked so high. I thought it was an uncommon name.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Well, it's somewhat uncommon, at any rate.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I knew a family named "Outhouse" when I lived in Indiana.
Outhouse is surname number 32185 in the USA.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
It can get worse: Chinese given names can be "invented" or "created", in the sense that parents may take Chinese characters (words) that mean good qualities or virtues to name their kids, and a reasonably wide combination can result, though as the article suggests, there are inevitably some popular, and therefore common, combinations. In contrast, Western (Christian) names were historically literally limited to names in the Bible, and generally still a somewhat finite list of names is used.

Combine finite given names with only 700-odd surnames, with 1.3 billion people you get a real mess. In Singapore, with only 4 million, of which 75% are Chinese and not everyone uses Western names, it is already starting to get messy: for instance, in the legal profession alone (which is only several thousand) I know of at least 3 guys called "Andrew Ang": one's a High Court judge, one a practising lawyer, the third is an in-house counsel. I can't imagine what happens if/when China gets all "fashionable" and starts using Western names.

Of course, the distinction between the Andrews is the Chinese given name, but nowadays some people aren't given Chinese names either -- back in law school I vaguely recall that in the class 2 years senior to mine, there were two guys both called "Stephen Lim", and neither had a Chinese name either. Notices were therefore distinguished by adding their identity card numbers behind their names.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I missed this the first time around.

My hyphen ated last name, and my ex's last name alone, are not ranked. As far as I know, only two people in the world stil have the hyphenated name...my ex and our son. I went back to my original surname, which is not the surname I use here (the HTF server did not accept hyphens back int he day...). That surname is my ex's. My given surname came in at #85. My best friend, Barnes, came in at 90, which I found surprising.

My partner came in at 2770. My mom's surname came in at a surprisingly high 4302. Despite having an Atlanta suburb named for her family, there are few Conyers around that I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks