What's new

House season 5 (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I wonder if part of the reason for the spinoff is that House was originally supposed to be the Sherlock Holmes of doctors, and almost operate in a more forensics type manner like CSI. Since probably the second season or so, that has pretty much entirely stopped and now its solely about the character drama... (which is good as far as I'm concerned). Is it possible the showrunner might possibly be a little disappointed that he couldn't keep going in that vein and so wants a PI show?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

House was never supposed to function as a "crime solver". The actual inspiration for Sherlock Holmes was Dr. Joseph Bell, one of Arthur Conan Doyle's teachers in medical school and a brilliant diagnostician. He could tell almost at a glance what was ailing people, and his methods looked like magic to the uninitiated. Doyle wondered what would happen if Bell's methods were applied to crime and invented Holmes.

The conceit of House was that the producers were transplanting the Holmes character (misanthropic drug addict) back into the world of medicine. It was always medical mysteries he was intended to solve along with his own personal Baker Street Irregulars and his best friend, Dr. James Watson (Wilson.) House was never supposed to be anything like CSI or Quincy, M.E. or Crossing Jordan. So there's no particular reason the creator should be hankering to do a crime show.

I doubt the rumors are based on anything more than the usual internet "speculation in an information vacuum" that takes a fact (the character was featured prominently in one epsiode) and inflates it to the point of absurdity.

Regards,

Joe

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Oh I understand it was never supposed to be actually like crime, but it's evolved away from the original aspects of going to people's houses and investigating the environments they've been in and that sort of thing (aka, the forensics approach) to House rattling off random ideas and being wrong every time until the end with his character's drama being the main story now.

And as I said, this isn't bad, but it has definitely moved on from the original idea. I don't know that the creator really wants to do a crime show or anything like that, but I was just throwing it out there that House has moved away from the original idea to the drama, and a PI show at least follows along the same lines as the original idea possibly.

mylan

Screenwriter

I agree, I don't know quite what to make of this season, at least Kumar made mention of "not having to go to people's houses anymore" last night but I am not digging the P.I. story yet and cannot see how they could do a spin-off if that is what they are intending.
It is still early in the season to pass judgement on what is otherwise a great show so I'm in for the long haul.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be funny if House started talking to a volleyball (named "Wilson" of course) to bounce ideas off of it during the diagnosis stage.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The links I included a few posts above were from May this year and so not in direct response to the episode we just saw. One was from TV Guide and doesn't seem to be the usual internet speculation rumor. Of course, things might have changed since then.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
In the DC area (FOX 5) appeared to have some glitches during the first 20 minutes or so last night. I was wondering if people in other areas also saw the problems? It was as if a few frames were dropped every now and then.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Both of the Fox HD feeds here in Calgary (KCPQ out of Tacoma, and WUHF out of Rochester) always ALWAYS have audio drop-outs. It's reached the point where I now PVR both feeds for shows we watch (House, Fringe, Sarah Connor, Kitchen Nightmares, etc), just to make sure we can watch them every week.

Last week, because of a scheduling conflict, we were unable to record the early NY feed for Fringe, so we were forced to rely on the west coast feed from WA. Alas, there was literally zero audio the entire time, but of course, as soon as the news came on, it was back! We were forced to watch the *shudder* standard-def feed on the Canadian affiliate :frowning:

This week, House (on the east coast feed) had audio drop outs about every 30 seconds during the last 20 minutes, and Sarah Connor had them throughout (though they were rare).

Fox sucks for audio here in Calgary. At least their picture quality is pretty good. Nothing beats CBC's WWJD out of Detroit, however. Razor sharp image, clean sound, and the commercials aren't broadcast 10x the normal volume.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But wasn't it nice to see Cuddy do something more than just scowl at House, enjoyed the softer side of Cuddy on display.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I love seeing the softer side of Cuddy...if y'know what I mean.

Y'know what I mean?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hooray, Wilson and House finally bury the hatchet.

House really is a shameful cuss, hilarious feint to get DNA from his "dad".

It was a little weird to see the old team doing differentials on the current case with the current team.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I always thought that Wilson was being an ass about this whole thing anyway, great to see they've kissed and made up. :emoji_thumbsup:

Funniest line last night...

"Bubbles."

House,
"Is that your new stripper name?"

:laugh:

Fun episode and I cannot wait until next weeks! We get to see 13 make out with another girl!
But it also looks like she gets fired which I sure hope isn't the case. :frowning:

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I thought it was nice. The old team could kick the new teams ass any day of the week. I hope 13 dies next week.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Which is ironic, considering that she's hot. Why on Earth would anyone not want a chance to see Olivia Wilde every week?

Regards,

Joe

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I want Wilson on the show, but I don't agree with that at all. House is a very abusive friend. Wilson's life is more interesting with House in it, but it's debatable whether it's better.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I never thought that House was abusive towards Wilson perse', he's pig-headed, abrasive and stubborn but he was never out right mean towards Wilson.

Wilson behaviour just came across as childish to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks