What's new

Holy crap! I've been a member here over 10 years!!!! (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Jack Briggs! [cue Thus Spake Zarathustra] Good to see you're still around. When I was a 'shy' newbie here Jack was one of the first members (before he was given modlike powers) I was friendly with and we would chat by PM. The forum was a different place then, a little smaller, friendlier and the After Hours lounge was a loud, rowdy, profane place. Ron would regularly threaten to close it down. Aaah good times... [smiles whistfully]

Heinz W

Second Unit
Good to hear from you Jack, glad you're still around. I have to ask you this slightly OT question: How do you like the 2001 Blu-ray? You do have 2001 on Blu, don't you Jack?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Why thank you Heinz. I remember being a little too zany and irreverent here 8 years ago, to the point where one moderator (who couldn't stand me) sent me a PM warning that they were making plans to, quote "get rid of all forum comedians". I remember that message well because I started saying goodbye to everyone I knew here. But I somehow survived, and I haven't seen that mod here in years.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
10 years? Jeez, has it been that long already? It seems like only yesterday that I went to the HTF meet in LA in 2001. Of course, that was only 8 years ago.

GregClarke

Stunt Coordinator
How about lowest posts per year average?

This is one of the very few sites I visit on a regular basis.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by GregClarke /forum/thread/289739/holy-crap-i-ve-been-a-member-here-over-10-years/30#post_3584232

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Once I post this I will know how long I've been a member here. 5 1/2 years. Since I was 19. Could have sworn I was a member here while I was in high school.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
12 for me. I remember exactly how why I found and joined HTF. L.A. was one of the seven test cities for DVD so I had bought my player in May 1997 and was looking online for a community to get info on the new technology I had just dropped nearly a grand on (between player and discs). Keep in mind I had just graduated and was making a pittance so that grand felt like ten grand to me!

I also remember HTF celebrating its 1000th member. I don't go back to the alt.usenet days, HTF was already a web forum when I joined.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Anyone else chuckle over Jack Brigg's default avatar showing a panel full of jacks?

I got here via Tannehill's DVD Resource page too. I was writing patent applications for Sony on various DVD related technology, primarily the audio side, and needed to see where the public state-of-the-art stood.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
10 1/2 years for me. Learned a lot, made some friends, and been exposed to a number of movies in that time. It's been great.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls

Anyone else chuckle over Jack Brigg's default avatar showing a panel full of jacks?

I got here via Tannehill's DVD Resource page too. I was writing patent applications for Sony on various DVD related technology, primarily the audio side, and needed to see where the public state-of-the-art stood.
Yeah Dennis, Jack's default avatar is kind of amusing. I seem to recall from Jack's postings that he ventured into the world of high end audio (tube based IIRC) and was somewhat disenchanted with the process. (Sorry Jack if I am misrepresenting your experience.)

- Walter...

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Aaron, your location says "The Land of Oranges, Mickey Mouse, and foreclosures". The CA one or the FL one?

It's sad that there are two such places now.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

Yeah Dennis, Jack's default avatar is kind of amusing. I seem to recall from Jack's postings that he ventured into the world of high end audio (tube based IIRC) and was somewhat disenchanted with the process. (Sorry Jack if I am misrepresenting your experience.)

- Walter...
Yes, Jack was into the likes of The Absolute Sound. I remember he was trying to sell off his back issues, but I don't know if he did.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Dheiner /forum/thread/289739/holy-crap-i-ve-been-a-member-here-over-10-years/30#post_3595842

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /forum/thread/289739/holy-crap-i-ve-been-a-member-here-over-10-years/30#post_3581879

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks