What's new

HDMI vs. component cable (1 Viewer)

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks for quick replies. Our basement still has about 2 weeks to go, so I won't be able to use it for a while. It's taking a lot longer than we thought!:frowning:

As for Chris and Gene's replies, I think you guys are right. I think the orange connector on the top labelled SPDIF is the digital coax. I don't know why it's marked that way?!

I did a quick google search for 'SPDIF' and digital coax and I did not see anything definitive. But it appears to be the same.

Once I hook it all up, I'll make sure it works and if I have questions I'll post again!

Thanks all!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
SPDIF = Sony Phillips Digital Interface Format. This is 'coaxial digital'. All DVD players have this as an output. Just make sure to use a video cables (one with yellow markings) to hook this up.

(Yes, it's confusing. But when they wrote the SPDIF spec, they wanted you to go out and buy a common-as-dirt cable so it is designed to use a "75 ohm impedance cable" - a video cable).

Congrats on the new son. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bud Huey

Stunt Coordinator
Cable companies will not guarantee an HDMI connection on their set top boxes for a couple of reasons. 1) Some HD set top boxes only have component outputs, 2) Some HD set top boxes have a DVI output, 3) Set top boxes with an HDMI output are not always compatible with other HDMI components because of interoperatability issues within the HDMI chipsets. 4) HDMI cables are limited in the length they can transmit. I believe 12' is the longest cable that are "qualified" to the HDMI standards, although I am using a 25' cable in my set up and it seems to work fine. I am only viewing 1080i, so 1080p may be a different story.

The bottom line is the cable company does not want two things: 1) Customers returning their set top box because it does not have an HDMI output or the HDMI output is not compatible with their set up, 2) To send a technician to your house to troubleshoot a problem with an HDMI set up. Both of these things cost the cable company money.

HDMI cables are convenient since they transmit audio and video signals, but components video cables will work fine for 98.7% of people. Did you also know that 72.5% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Just My $0.02,
Bud

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks