What's new

Digital Optical Cable to work with my Sherwood Newcastle R-863 Receiver (1 Viewer)

pox;and

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Oxland
Hi Folks ... I'm new to this forum and excited to learn more about things from different people over time.

I have an older Sherwood Newcastle R-863 receiver which mentions in its operating manual...

"All of the commercially available optical fiber cords cannot be used with this equipment, If you have a question about the suitability of a particular cord, please consult your dealer or nearest service organization."

Now, I realize that this manual was created many years ago and I figure digital optical cables have progressed in their capabilities over time.

Everything I've been reading online seems to indicate I should be able to use a digital Toslink cable (which I understand is digital audio cable (optical fiber)) to connect to one of the optical digital inputs on the receiver for audio input. However, the quote I shared above tells me that such a cable may not work.

I'd ask Sherwood technical support but have not been able to find them on the Internet.

Any guidance anyone could provide me on this would be much appreciated. Thanks very much!

Regards. ... Pete

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've never heard of such a thing, and it does appear to use a standard toslink cable. Since they're dirt cheap, might as well try one.

pox;and

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Oxland
Thanks for your thoughts on this, John. I agree that simply getting such a cable and trying it seems like a smart next step. Thanks again for your thoughts!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks