What's new

Harman Kardon AVR 520 review (2 Viewers)

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
For those who have complaints about the Remote:

Try a Denon remote. It will help you appreciate the simplicity and versatility of the 520's. Once again, I'm so glad I did not buy the 2802.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
So basically Logic 7 can not be applied ontop on ac3/dts digital audio?

I heard this is true.

Tony, read the previous posts carefully. The above is most definitely NOT TRUE. Logic 7 only applies to 2-channel analog signals. AC-3/DTS signals will NOT have Logic 7 decoding applied to them. That said, I'm not sure why you would want to. As big a fan of Logic 7 as I am, I wouldn't want to apply it to DD or DTS as both discrete formats sound better.

TomMadden

Agent
Doug -

The 520's remote has a nice layout and is simple to use, it just feels cheap. For instance, the hard plastic arrow circle in the center requires some effort to use sometimes and really digs into my thumb when I try to navigate DVD menus or the 520's setup menu.

I had a h/k AVR 300, and I believe that the remote that came with that one was better constructed. It used a heavier grade plastic, soft touch buttons all around, and just felt better in my hands. Sure, it didn't light up, but that didn't really matter to me. I thought it was more usable. If you ever get a chance, try the remote that came with the AVR 300 or 500.

As I said before, this is a minor gripe. I was just a little bit disappointed, because I had thought that h/k had done things better in the past. I am not disappointed by the quality of the sound that comes out of it or anything else!

If h/k's DAL 150 audio transcoder worked with a Macintosh, I'd be all over that in a second, too! I would love to hear how the 520's built-in MP3 decoder does.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
If h/k's DAL 150 audio transcoder worked with a Macintosh, I'd be all over that in a second, too! I would love to hear how the 520's built-in MP3 decoder does.

You could try the new M-Audio Sonica--it's supposed to be Mac-compatible.

Jeff Holton

Stunt Coordinator
JoeMac

I just bought the AVR 225 a couple of days ago (I wish I could have gotten the 520... but the wife put her foot down), and I love it.

What you said about flexibility with settings for different sources AND surround modes was dead on... this feature exists in the 225 too, and I love it... switching back and forth to all my equipment (DVD, video games, CD, etc.) with one touch of a button and no need to adjust levels... sweet!

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
So basically Logic 7 can not be applied ontop on ac3/dts digital audio?

I heard this is true.

Because if it did do this trick, I would own a H/K 520 now, regardless of EX or not.
The only H/K that can only be apply Logic 7 on top of multichannel digital sources is the AVR8000, and I personally AM SURE why you would want to. I definitely prefer the sound of Logic 7 processing on top of DD or DTS.

TomMadden

Agent
Eujin -

Thanks for the tip on the Sonica box! I might pick one of those up. They're cheaper than the h/k box as well.

Actually, come to think of it, h/k's box probably works with a Mac if they're using the standard USB Audio streaming protocols. These are the same protocols used in USB connected speakers. You just won't be able to take advantage of h/k's custom software.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Tom
I agree whole-heartedly with your impression of the remote. I'm just so relieved and pleased with how much better it is than the Denon that I needed to defend it.
My biggest fear is that it will fail and (since I bought from Costco, an unauthorized dealer) I'll have to take it back :frowning: (and there is no replacement because it was a one-time, short-term deal). That would really bum me out because I LOVE the receiver.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Hey All:

Just purchased the 520. Is everyone still pleased with it? Would you choose something else today?

Are your remotes still working?

I have 30 days to take mine back - still considering the Onkyo 700.

Thnaks

Mike

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Hi. I've had the 520's little brother, the 320, for 3 months now. It's working perfectly, luckily I don't have the automatic shut down problem some people have. The remote's working fine, also. That plastic ring they put there for the arrows really stinks, though.... :thumbsdown:

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I've had my 520 for a whole week now. Enjoying it very much, don't miss my Denon at all. My next upgrade will almost certainly be an 8000 for pre/pro use.

The internal amp in the 520 is a great performer, especially for the money.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
This thread probably sold a bundle of HK receivers...

I've been considering the HK520 for some time now but I havn't been able to find them for $599 like I've seen advertised from Costco.com

Costco doesn't sell them anymore so does anyone else know where I could get them below $600 because I can't even find them on ebay for that much.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
First to Chris Tsutsui: I believe you can get a 520 at jandr.com for around $650. They are an authorized dealer and have been selling at that price for the past few weeks.

To MikeRP: Don't even think about Onkyo after owning a 520.

There is simply no positive comparison. You might think Denon 3802, but the 520's amps are so much better that it trumps Denon's additional features and amplifier. Possible upgrade to the 525, but would the cost be prohibitive?

To TomMadden: Are you really Tom Bombadil in disguise? If you are, you know what I'm talking about. Really learn alot from your posts both here and from the other Tom in the other forum.

To All: I still love this receiver and still worry about the remote (that has given me no trouble). The unit has it's quirks that can cause you to ask, "why didn't they" or "why did they", but nothing has gone wrong. As I've said before about improving the quality of a component, "when you replace your weakest piece, you then hear the problems in your next weakest piece and that becomes the one you would next replace." Unfortunately, the process then begins anew. In the meantime, I (still) love this receiver.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
My 520 (I have the Australian version) will not lock OFF DTS when playing CDs continuously through my Sony changer. You have to flick in and out to another input.

It is the second one I've had with this feature.

Steve

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Quote:

To MikeRP: Don't even think about Onkyo after owning a 520.

There is simply no positive comparison. You might think Denon 3802, but the 520's amps are so much better that it trumps Denon's additional features and amplifier. Possible upgrade to the 525, but would the cost be prohibitive?

To Doug: You might be right on that cost thing. I paid $650 plus tax at CCity for the HK. I expect that the new 525 would be $1000, at least initially. I think I'll live with the 520 for that difference. OUT of my budget. My wife is already getting tired of the obsession.

To All: I certainly have appreciated this thread and your confidence in the HK. It has helped me make my decision. Now if I can only figure out how to get rid of my Bose AM-10's. Although the HK has breathed new life into the the speakers (I've never heard them sound this good), I'll be ready to change soon.

Wish I'd done this much research 5 years ago when I bought the Bose.

THANKS ALL!!

DonJ

Second Unit
DavidAM

what are you doing!?! the reciever is the controler your VCR needs to be connect into the receiver not the other way around. I would start over take it apart and plug everthing throught the 520. if you look on the back lower left you will see something that says mon out it will have an RCA and s-video next to it. also on the back upper left you will see component it will have 2 inputs and one mon out again. you need to connect the mon out's to the back of you TV and if you have component on you TV that would most likley connect to your DVD and Xbox is also supported. after that you need to asign each component you own ie..dvd cable satilite to a video input video1-4 and dvd. look at the controller it has a component above the video buttons I would suggest setting it up that way to avoid confusion. so we will take the VCR for example take one set of RCA cables and plug them into the output on you VCR then take the opposite end and plug them into video 1 in. then conitinue with the cable or sat and dvd. one more thing dvd or sat might use s-video or component cables. and make sure that you have the mon out connect to you TV not your VCR!!!!!!! after this we will work out your ezset.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks