What's new

Harman Kardon AVR 520 review (1 Viewer)

ErichH

Screenwriter
OK Mike, part2

I normally use a BetterCables 5meter svideo cable direct to the Pioneer from the sat receiver, but I used a temp cheap cable so I could route the OSD for now. It definitely hits the video performance on my rig(maby it's the cheap cable, but my basic rule is never pass through anything unless you just have to) and I'll move it out of the way soon enough.No real surprise there. After my first DTS disk, I realized that the sub level must be -6 to -8 from the factory. I didn't need to back it off after setting it for DD. My past experience was different - I always had to back down the sub for DTS material. I also solved the remote problem(well 1 of em' anyway) I needed to push the AVR button. OK, I'm an idiot. I should have remembered that from my previous HK and the Denons are that way as well. The up/down movement on the remote only works going up, so that's not solved.

Time to hear some foley work and lots of subtle surround stuff, so Fight Club fits the bill. I noticed that Edward Nortons voice in the front of the movie was much more balanced and didn't bottom out. It always seemed to boom a little. The outstanding Dust Brothers score seemed a lot more balanced as well. Over all the low end is tighter and the sound design (which is full of goodies) had a newness for me. I'm definitely hearing more of it, without high volume. This is a sign of a cleaner amp(my opinion).

Next was Hannibal. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I was in the mood for some Zimmer Score. Well mixed and lots of strings, which really test the tweets, or perhaps gives them away if there not clean. Again, a smooth report here.

Next, The Fifth Element SuperBit. Tons of sound design to test with, and like Hannibal, a DTS track. This has so much stuff to hear, especially in the music. I found new sounds tonight and I've passed this disk 15 times. Impressive.

I found myself backing down the volume on more than 1 occasion and realized that the HK has a lot more headroom for transients than my other receivers. It fooled me for a while. I'm used to lot less soft to loud distance, and this was a really nice surprise. Again, a hint at higher quality amps. There is a trade off, you can't get really loud with this little power. What's there seems well done for the money.OK, some could - not me.

I didn't whip out the 6 cables for DVDA yet. Having too much fun listening to the films. I expect an improvement after hearing the scores tonight.

Considering the price of this unit and the fact that my speakers are low to mid quality bookshelf(Studio 40s) I'm impressed with the HK. Every time I upgrade my DVD player, I realize that the imput device has way more to do with the audio than I want to believe. It's hard to go past 500-600 bucks for a DVD player..right?

I'm in the same boat as many here-trying to squeeze my way into a decent audio system for 2500 bucks. It's probably not gonna happen, but I'm having fun watching Brown roll up every few months with the next try.

I hope all of us get to own a pile of big Brystons some day.

Best

Eric

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Josh,

OK, apparently Logic 7 can't be applied to DD2.0 tracks either. Your gonna have to do 1 of two things.

Either go into the DVD players menu and set it to output an PCM signal then select Logic 7 on the 520.(Best Option)

or

Use the analog jacks to receive audio from the DVD player, set the 520 to the analog input(instead of digital) for your DVD players input then select Logic 7.

Kevin,

Logic 7 Encoding hasn't been labelled on many disc yet. Some aren't labelled anywhere at all. Some have the Logic 7 encoded comment burried in the menu(can't remember which disc). If you look on the back of LOTR: Fellowship of the Rings DVD package you will see the Logic 7(L7) logo at the bottom along with the other trademarks.

I'm sorry, I looked for that link to the interview with Brant and Bob at SMR about logic 7 encoding but can't find it.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Thanks Erich!

I appreciated the report. I will check out a couple of those titles you mentioned.. My wife purchased, somehow for Christmas couple Christmas ago - Saving Private Ryan.

(ON TAPE)

I went thru last night and set up the logic 7, DTS neo:6 and the DPII to compare. I used the ez-set to do this. I have to set my volume to -5 to get the ez - set to work right. I compared all three and definitely found the logic 7 to be better for the two channel stuff. I also noticed alot of new sounds that I hadn't heard on my old receiver.

I just beating myself up trying to decide on whether or not I should wait on the 525.

But, for the price difference, when the 525 comes out, I could probably be close to getting a good two channel amp for the 6th and 7th channel. In a few years maybe I could slide a new tuner/preamp by the wife.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming if you wish - I'm certainly interested!!!!

Mike

ErichH

Screenwriter
Mike

Saving Private Ryan on DVD is the way to hear the audio. I've yet to listen to anything in Logic, but tonight I got the 6 channel going and put in Two Against Nature(Steely Dan DVDA) It's the best DVD Audio recording I know about. If you're a Dan Fan it helps. My fat Outlaw PCA cables fit the direct ins easily. I haven't calibrated the sub for 6 channel and had to really notch it up to get a balance. Results were the best so far with my speakers. Highs were still under control and the Harmon is outstanding with low frequency-very fast.

The receiver is much more dynamic than my Outlaw or previous Denon, so I'm getting used to it with each disk. The difference feels good.

This stuff is probably old news. The 520 is end of production soon and I'm late getting into what it does. It's been nice discovering a good unit. The 525 will do well because of the 520s great sound.

E

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reviews - this is an intriguing receiver.
But what's up with the speaker posts ? HK's web page shows a grouping of 3 binding posts in the middle (apparently for L/R/C) that are Red, White, Green with Black. Then another group of 2 to the right that are Grey, Blue with Black.
http://www.harmankardon.com/large.as...t=REC&sType=CS
The image doesn't have enough detail to show the labels, can someone clarify ? Only seems like 5 speaker outputs, how do you get 7.1 ?
And... any word on the release date for the 525 ?
Thanks !

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Kirk Gunn,

Here is the color code scheme.

NOTE: To assist in making the correct connections

for multichannel input output and speaker

connections, all connection jacks and terminals

have been color coded in conformance with the

latest CEA standards as follows:

Front Left: White

Front Right: Red

Center: Green

Surround Left: Blue

Surround Right: Gray

Surround Back Left: Brown

Surround Back Right: Tan

Subwoofer: Purple

Digital Audio: Orange

Composite Video: Yellow

Component Video “Y”: Green

Component Video “Pr”: Red

Component Video “Pb”: Blue

If you download the 520's owners manual in adobe .pdf format you can view the back labels by zoming in. And it has this color code scheme on page 10.

The 520 only has 5 internal amps so only 5 speaker terminals for 5.1. To get 7.1 you must connect the 520's SBL & SBR(Surround back left & right) PreOut jacks to a 2ch external amp.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Here's a better picture. You can see the SBR and SBL there near the upper left:
x532AVR520-b_MT.jpeg

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Erich: Thanks for the info.... I love Steely Dan so I'll check that out as soon as possible.

To EVERYONE: There are more discussions that have been going on on the 520 on AVSFORUM. Being very new - I've been getting a great education here and at the forum.

Kirk - it will give you some more information on the infinite setup possibilities of the 520 and some very good reasons to consider it over the new 525. It basically comes down to cost and the ease of adding the extra 2 channel amp for 7.1 when you are ready.

Anyway there has been some interesting discussions for me. Daryl has contributed nicely to my learning.

Thanks Daryl !! Keep asking questions - I luv talking about the 520.

Mike

So I picked up a 520 this week and am using it as a pre/pro with a parasound amp. I bought mostly because of the Logic 7. I have been comparing it to Prologic II this weekend, and I'm not sure the winner is clear. I tried Paul Simon's Graceland, especially "Diamond on the Soles of my shoes" and "Homeless". Logic 7 seems to do a better job in throwing an enveloping reverb into the surround channels, but also seems to make the front channels murkier, particularly the vocals in the center.

Any thoughts on this?

ErichH

Screenwriter
David,

I think your `murkier' description says it all. 2 track music is for 2 speakers. I bet logic would help on some mono sources, like ESPN or an old movie. This is my first Prologic II receiver and for my Sat viewing, I like it on movies that come in pro logic(much better than the regular Prologic) and some trigger the combo of DD & ProLog . I guess the emulate mode or whatever?

I decided to change a prologic feed to logic 7 and didn't like it as much, but I can see how some material will work. I don't think it's either/or for the 2. Just another helper for limited audio sources.

p.s. - Passed Spy Game tonight and the DTS was GREAT on the 520. Hearing more stuff. For 4 hours today I was in front of a B&K307 with B&W speaks and came home thinking I'd be let down by my 520. Not so!

Eric

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Eric and David:

David: I set up my 520 so I could compare the DTS:neo6, DPLII, and logic 7 on any of the 2 channel stuff (using ez-set). My preliminary thoughts are that logic 7 works best for most stuff. However, I've had instances where neo 6 was better and DPL2 was better. Seems to be about 60/ 40 right now. Neo 6 seems like the center gets used more. I'd rate the DPL2 and Logic 7 a near tie with Logic 7 having a slightadvantage. It seems one can play with the settings and get them to sound virtually the same. Although I don't know this for sure yet.

Eric:

I'm going to set up my system for 7.1 this weekend with my old prologic receiver and some speakers I had that I liked a fews years ago. It won't be where I want to end up but I'll be able to see if I like it at all.

Keep sending those comments in on the receiver!

Thanks

Mike

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Try comparing 2-ch stereo with Logic 7 and DPLII (music modes). You'll find that Logic 7 front stage is very similar to 2-ch stereo, which means it's not disturbed that much. I'll bet you'll find the center as "murky" with 2-ch as with Logic 7, only because the source was recorded that way. DPLII front stage will be quite different from 2-ch.

In any case, when comparing surround modes, it makes more sense comparing them with 2-channel stereo rather than each other, and then choosing the one that sounds more natural.

I guess that is my problem/question. I thought the front stage wouldn't be that affected in logic 7. but it seemed that center vocals, as opposed to center panned vocals in stereo, were very recessed. And I thought that this wasn't as much a problem in prologic 2.

Then again, I'm just beginning to play with this thing, so I'll have to try more CD's.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
David:

I still think you can change that center level to address the recessed problem.

I'm still working on this issue with the 520. I still think one can tune out the differences between DTS Neo 6 and DPLII and Logic 7 basically by making any of the three sound good by adjusting the output setting of the various speakers.

But, for some reason,I guess I still am having some stuff sound better in Logic 7. DPII would be next and DTS Neo the last in sound quality. Can't quite put my finger on why though.

Any thoughts?

Kris Keen

Agent
After a recommendation from a fellow member, he suggest I look into a a HK reciever, I cannot believe the amount of happy 520 owners!

A question, I will be powering my mains (B&W 603) from a 2CH poweramp (rotel 1080).. In the future 7.1 may be a option for me, would I then have to buy an additional 2CH amp for the 7.1 setup from the Surround L/R outputs? Seems I'd be then only using the HK 520 for Center and Rear amplification. Is there any other way to accomplish 7.1 without using ANOTHER 2 CH amp?

Ideas?

Edit: DAMNIT! no DD EX.. now that sucks, I might wait for the 525 or contuine my attempts to acquire the Rotel kit.. Anyone know if the 525 will have DD EX ?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Kris,

All 5 amp channels in the 520 would be available and could be assigned to whatever speakers. As you would be using the Rotel for the Mains, this would equal your 7 channel needs.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hello I have recently purchased the 520 and am satisfied but am puzzled by one little fact: Why does this receiver seem to function at much lower volumes than it should? I am currently using Radioshat Flat 16 gauge wire and JBL speakers, and these seem much lower than my much cheaper Yamaha RX-420 Receiver. Is it because I have it plugged in to a Radio shack Surge strip with my TV? Should I have this plugged in differently?

Currently, I view movies at -35dbs Any lower and I can't really hear the movie....

Someone help!

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
All receivers have different power slops with their volume control. I wouldn't worry about it. I routinly have mine at -25dbs and it is source dependant. DTS will blast you out at -25 so that is usually VERY loud at -40.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Woo:

On my receiver I've only got up to 0 db when for a short time testing the receiver. IT WAS WAY TOO LOUD!

My normal volume is between -25 and -15 db. These change based upon the CD or DVD and also on the surround settings themselves.

If the channel setup for the speakers is all the way up to + 5 db or higher, then the volume settings get lower.

I used ez-set and started at -5 db volume setting (instead of the recommended -15 db) and I got readings around 0 db for the different speakers in my room.

There is some interesting stuff on AVSFORUM.COM relating to using an external 2 channel amp or an old prologic receiver to achieve the same. Also, Daryl has some great ideas on how to achieve DD-EX without the actual decoder that the 520 doesn't support.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks