1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

GODFATHER review up on DVDFile

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deepak Shenoy, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Well-Known Member

DVDFile just snuck in what is probably the first online review of the Godfather Collection (not counting Frank's informal review on the HTF). The picture quality seems to be quite decent especially given that the original negatives are not so well-preserved. I guess I won't be nitpicking on these movies - I am just happy to finally be able to own them on DVD.

2. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

Was there any restoration done to these films for the DVD, or were they just cleaned up?

3. Tom-G

Tom-G Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that original negatives that have deteriorated were Parts II and III? The first one was restored only 4 years ago for its 25th anniversary. The LDs that followed had nothing less than a wonderful picture. Wouldn't the same transfer have been used?
    October 9, cannot come fast enough for me. As big a Star Wars fan as I am, I'm more anxious to own The Godfather.
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Well-Known Member

5. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Well-Known Member

The DVD File review says the three films are framed at approximately 1.78:1, while the theatrical ratio was 1.85:1. This is only a tiny difference, but should this have happened? Is it just a product of overscan, perhaps, or is it what Coppola wanted? What's going on?
    -Tom

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

7. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

Considering the price of these DVDs, you would think the picture would be outstanding.

8. Tom-G

Tom-G Well-Known Member

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Well-Known Member

I wasn't comparing the LDs to anything other than themselves (ie previous VHS copies), and all I can say is that when I bought them, I felt ripped off due to the poor image quality, which was also subpar at the time compared to most of the LDs I had.
    The AC3 sound on Godfather 1 was also pretty bad, with lots of distortion throughout. If Godfather doesn't look dramatically improved, this set will be a pass.
    Edited for clarity.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc
    [Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on September 29, 2001 at 12:25 PM]

10. cafink

cafink Well-Known Member

11. Doug R

Doug R Well-Known Member

By some stroke of insane luck I managed to pick the Godfather DVD collection today at an unnamed B&M. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was priced at $75, pretty much what most online places are preordering it for (though I'm sure I coulda got lower if I waited).
    ------------------

12. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Well-Known Member

Many, many films with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 are mastered with a ratio of 1.78:1 for DVD. And yes, this is to accommodate 16:9 sets. Virtually all Warner and Columbia product use this ratio for 1.85:1. Paramount or Coppola decided to do the same for The Godfather movies.

13. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Well-Known Member

My expections have dropped a little, I'm quite disappointed that the quality of the picture and sound is not fantastic.
    ------------------
    British film-making blows away Hollywood.
    Why? Verisimilitude!
    Superman CINEMA
    http://www.deceptions.net/superman

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

"Fantastic" is a relative term. The first two Godfather films will never look good to some people because of the unusual stylized photographic techniques. Even Gordon Willis said that he "went too far" with underexposure in Godfather 2.
    I thought the remastered LDs of a few years ago were an excellent presentation of the first two films (I never watched the remaster of the third). People who complain about print flaws apparently don't realize just how badly the elements had deteriorated by the early 90s; if you want to see what poor shape they were in, find someone with a copy of The Godfather Trilogy LD boxset. The improvement from that presentation to the THX remasters was exceptional, and I'll be satisfied with the DVDs if they do no more than eliminate analog noise and provide the increased resolution of anamorphic enhancement.
    As for the sound, we'll just have to settle for the inherent limitations of that era's technology (aggravated, on the first film, by budget constraints).
    M.

15. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Well-Known Member

It seems that DVDFILE are not too interested in this title, this is a biggie!!

16. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Well-Known Member

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

18. Coressel

Coressel Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see how many people take their GF DVDs back because "everything looks yellow in the Part 2 flashback scenes..."
    [​IMG]

19. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Well-Known Member

I'm surprised more people aren't put off by the matting of the films to fit a 16x9 TV. Sure, you only lose 4% of the picture but it's the principle of the thing isn't it?
    -Tom

20. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Well-Known Member

Damin J. Toell