What's new

FOX/MGM DVDS on 05-22-07 including westerns, musicals and Gary Cooper films. (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Any news on Swamp Water (1941) or Lure of the Wilderness (1952)? A listener of mine called me at home (small town, heh) wondering if I knew how to get these. I got interested too because they look like fun. Walter Brennan and Jeffrey Hunter. These were filmed in the Georgia swamps so that's why he was interested. That's where we're from. Well, not the swamps...Georgia.

Greg_M

Screenwriter

The original Laserdisc had the Overture and the intermission music (the intermission music was also on the original LP) but the sound on this disc was not very good. The intermission music was repeated on the disc (Maybe as the exit music - but I'm not 100% sure and I don't have the disc with me)

The widescreen Laserdisc omitted the overture and I think also the intermission music but the picture quality was excellent and had better color.

The overture was quite good and I hope they include it on the DVD. I have a recording of it somewhere.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I'll have to take out the VHS I made of CAN-CAN from AMC to see if they included an overture. I haven't watched this tape in many, many years, so I don't remember offhand. I know that AMC used to show overtures of Fox musicals when they were available. I'll report here later tonight.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
The Overture, Entr' Acte, Intermission, and Exit Music are only found on my VHS copy which was pan and scan except for a few musical sequences which were letterboxed (which horrific orange bands top and bottom). However, some of the music is repeated. My WS laserdisc and fXm broadcast did not include anything but the actual film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Nope, the AMC broadcast of CAN-CAN began with the Fox logo and right into the Main Titles. However, it was broadcast in stereo surround, and I noticed that the widescreen laserdisc was similarly in stereo.

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena
Wow, I'm excited about the Gary Cooper boxset and "Ball Of Fire" - oh please let this be the beginning of a Gold(wyn) Rush! ;) I've been itching for re-releases of "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty", "These Three", "Wuthering Heights", etc. Those OOP HBO DVDs are veeeerrry pricey. People like me who only started buying DVDs in the last few years seem to have missed out on a lot!

(Somehow I thought DVDs would never go out of print like VHS tapes have...silly, huh? Guess it has something to do with thinking DVDs are all about preserving films so they can stand the test of time and not deteriorate further - but I guess preservation doesn't equal availability, and besides, many studios just treat DVD like VHS anyway, slapping the films onto the digital format with little care and poor transfers.)

"Pigskin Parade" will be good to have on DVD too... it might be Judy Garland's most embarrassing film appearance (at least, she was embarrassed by it!), but as a completist, I want 'em all. Hope Warner Bros. releases Judy's "minor" MGM films too.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

I don't blame her. She looks so fat and homely, and too tomboyish. MGM worked wonders on her.

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena
I agree that Judy's hair & outfit were unflattering in "Pigskin Parade", (not to mention the cringe-worthy dialogue she was given), but I think some baby-fat was perfectly normal at her age. Yeah, MGM worked wonders on her self-esteem alright, during those already insecure adolescent years. Insulting and comparing her unfavorably to older glamour girls, giving her diet pills and making her starve herself. Check out Judy's painfully thin frame in "For Me And My Gal" for example. I read that her fans actually wrote to the studio in concern and preferred Judy's healthier appearance when she gained weight for films like "Summer Stock".

Anyway, off-topic, sorry. I just hate the way she was treated by MGM. I believe that all the pressure they put on her during those formative years led to extreme weight fluctuation and other problems for the rest of her life. Also...I like tomboys. What's wrong with preferring jeans to skirts, or wanting to play soccer instead of with dolls? (Not that I'm defensive because this subject hits close to home or anything ;))

DanMel

Second Unit
Ball of Fire, Wedding Night, Casanova Brown and Marco Polo are now listed on Amazon for pre-order for 5-22-07.

Amazon's price for the first three is 13.99 but for some reason Marco Polo is listed for 17.99.

The only place that I could find that lists the Giftset with four more movies for pre-order is DVDEMPIRE.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Can Can is a six track stereo movie. We should be getting at least a 4.0 mixdown but specs look like two track stereo for this dvd.
It would be nice if Fox kept some of the cut numbers.
I love Paris was filmed and a longer version of Just ONe of Those Things.
According to Talkin Broadway.com the Pigskin Parade will also have raw music sessions which may include an unheard garland number!!

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Even more Fox titles are getting released on 5/22.

Breaking Point (1976)
Broken Arrow (1950)
Convict Stage (1965)
Fort Courageous (1965)
Hell and High Water (1954)
The Third Secret (1964)
White Feather (1955)

All titles have list price of 14.98 and have UPC numbers assigned to them, but they are not available for pre-order yet. I'm excited about another Sam Fuller title.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Some good and bad things here-
where does all this info of further May titles coming from as NO ONE has them listed anywhere?

White Feather has been on AMC, Cinemax, and Fox movies for years in full screen mono. Will we finally get a widescreen stereo?

As usual Fox has a bunch of westerns for May release. If this is it, it means that for a THIRDyear, we do NOT get the release of Garden of evil that the rest of the world got three years ago?
I can only hope this means that Fox is holding this for a possible Susan Hayward box set that will include Untamed, With a Song in My Heart, The Presidents Lady and White Witch Doctor.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I'll be getting all of these! Especially looking forward to White Feather and Hell and High Water (Fox's 5th CinemaScope film).

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Get the Optimum R2 version, I got it on sale for AUD$20 (~US$16), the quality is good, but not outstanding.

Apparently there is another European version that is even better quality, and I think even has 4 track sound, but I don't own it, and can't find it in the DVDProfiler database.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I have the region 2 with the stereo sound and the quality is very good. But the film is running fast and Barnard Herrmanns score is pitched too high because of this.
It has now been three years since the rest of the planet got Garden of Evil on dvd. Why won't Fox release this in
region one?
And how about region one releases of Viva Zapata, the Gunfighter, and the Virgin Queen?

I am a film buff, but Fox has set to release sevral titles I have never heard of _

Breaking Point (1976)
Convict Stage (1965)
Fort Courageous (1965)
The Third Secret (1964)

What gives? Who do they think will by these?
Film buffs - why? general consumer - why?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks