What's new

First Home Theater setup, Good choice or keep looking? (1 Viewer)

clay_w

Agent
what about this Onkyo TXSR500 Factory Renewed Home Theater Receiver for $150?

It is at onecall.com but I can't put the link in this post....

EriCCirE

Grip
I live in Minnesota, and there arent any frys near the area ( or this side of the country) But I saw online that the SKS-HT500 is selling new for 160 there. I might snag that and go down to curcuit city. Also for the sherwood receiver, online it says it is 130 at outpost/frys. How could i get the people to pricematch w/o any proof and w/o them callin across the country.

Thanks for all the help guys!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
EricCirE,

I wonder if they would accept a faxed copy of my invoice. If you have a fax machine, I could fax it to you. It states plainly that the price was $79.99 at the time I bought it.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
No, currently it is not available as it is out of stock. However, I have talked to Circuit City and they will price match.

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
I HAVE the RCA 2600, and I too was on a tight budget, and asked for advice from this board and out of the 7 or so replies i got, only one person told me that it would be perfectly fine for what i want it to do...the rest said it was crap and not to do it....you have to remember though, that most people on this board have huge systems and recommend only the top of the line (at least the people that respond to my posts do) and they do not really help me out too much other than say "get this so and so receiver that costs $1000 bucks...if you want good quality 5.1 HTIB, i recommend the 2600...I have had it for 2 months now, and it sounds great, especially matrix, lord of the rings, and star wars flicks.....the sub however is not that fantastic..it works, but for 150 watts sure does not sound that powerful, but hey, if you are on a budget, remember that this sure beats the speakers coming out of your tv.....

clay_w

Agent
Well, I was on the way to Radio Shack to pick up the RCA 2600 and just for kicks I stopped at ABC Warehouse first and they had a floor model ONKYO HTS650.

I talked the sales guy into giving it to me for $291.98!
I also picked up the 2 year warranty for $49.95.

I just have to get some kind of remote since it did not come w/ my system.

I have to say that I am very happy with this setup.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If the Kenwood 505 is still available I would go with it. The Kenwood 504 was the leader in the HTiB category for quit some time until the Onkyo 650 came out. The Kenwood 505 is very close to the same as the 504 unit. It will far out perform the RCA you speak of, if it still can be found?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hey' Nice buy clay. To bad about the remote. Bang for your $$ HTiB the 650 should do very well for you. I did a check and the Onkyo 650 and the Kenwood 505 is still avalible on-line. They both might be just a little more than what you want to spend Eric. Still very close $$ wise and 2-3 times the performanc imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks