1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Firefly Cancelled--Officially.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Joel C, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Joel C

Joel C Well-Known Member

According to timminear.net, Firefly has been officially cancelled ("No new episodes are being ordered"), though Fox promises to air what ones have been shot.

Right. Just like they aired all 13 episodes of Pasadena.

Incidentally, what's the correct spelling of "cancelled"? My spell check takes both one or two "l"s.

2. DwightK

DwightK Well-Known Member

Joel, you're a savior! Maybe it's all in the spelling of "cancelled" not in the definition.[​IMG]
    Joke on the previous thread aside, This has to be one ofthe most unexpected moves in FOX history. What are the qualifications to become a TV executive who makes programming decisions? Is there any way to sit down and have dinner with one for a nice chat into how their brain works? What motivates them into believing a show would succeed in certain time slots, certain day demographics, competion, etc.
    Is there a college course in this that I could take somewhere as I really am interested. There must be some very strange economics involved which is why we, the common person cannot comprehend all the issues.
    Bah[​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

From Tim's website:

4. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Well-Known Member

Most unfortunate.

I really liked the show. But airing it on Friday nights what would you expect the ratings to be like. Should have aired it Sunday, would have done much better (for me at least). I think I missed 2 shows because of its slot.

5. PhilipG

PhilipG Well-Known Member

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

*sob*

It is a day or mourning

Another Sci-Fi show murdered before its time, without conclusion

Thank you MLB for not just playing 1 game and getting it @#$%@#$ over with. Thank you Fox for not even giving it the respect you gave that shitburger Dark Angel,

And thank you Joss, Tim, Ben and the entire cast and crew for giving us such a wonderful show, while I guess they CAN take the sky from us, but we will not forget it

Your High Priest is available for Grief counseling

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Well-Known Member

Not one of my friends watched a single episode of 'Firefly', though most of them watch some sci-fi shows regularly. But they go out Friday night, and they don't have a Tivo like I do.
    Fox has ordered some great shows in the last couple of years, but they set them up to fail.
    'Odyssey 5' gets a larger episode order. I think cable, especially premium cable, might be the best place for quality sci-fi.
    Oh, and to blame the World Series for the death of 'Firefly' is silly.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

9. Ron McBadger

Ron McBadger Well-Known Member

10. Jeffrey_Scotts

Jeffrey_Scotts Well-Known Member

Well, I hate to be the type to say I told you so...but I did! In fact, I was the first to report the story from ET Weekly magazine. A few people insisted I didn't know, but I guess you can take their word now. Bottom line is I WAS RIGHT!

Never watched it except for 3 episodes and couldn't stand it. But I do wish more chances for shows are given by Fox, just like UPN does with junk shows like Enterprise and New Twilight Zone.

11. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Well-Known Member

12. Jason Seaver

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Well-Known Member

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Supposedly this was culled from the official Firefly board:

15. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Well-Known Member

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

Until professional sports stops pre-empting programming (and suprise, the majority of programming it pre-empts ends up being CANCELLED) I will NEVER stop blaming them.
    DEATH BY SPORTS
    Earth 2
    Space Above and Beyond
    Futurama
    Firefly
    MLB took a week during the crucial audience building time for the show. Could it have made a difference? Maybe, maybe not, but they still did, THEREFORE they carry partial blame for their inability to finish their playoffs quickly
    The NFL can do it in 1 game for each round, why can't they?

17. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Well-Known Member

18. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Well-Known Member

*sob*

With the loss of Firefly and Farscape, there's not much left. As time goes by it's more and more amazing that Babylon 5 got its full 5 years. Meanwhile, as others have noted Enterprise is going full bore on following the modern Trek pattern of telling run of the mill, boring stories with bland writing, but it'll almost certainly get a full 7 years.

BLEAH. The state of TV SF is getting pretty bad, and the unwillingness of networks to allow shows to grow and find an audience is distressing. I've been watching Odyssey 5 but it's never quite grabbed my attention fully. Jeremiah is mostly pretty good and with JMS doing it you know it's got some good stuff planned. Buffy & Angel have both teetered on the edge of too much soap opera but are still good.

19. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Well-Known Member

While I'm very sad to hear this news, and I hate for a Joss project to get canned.... I have to say that Firefly lacked that certain magic that makes a show special. Maybe it needed more time to find its legs, but I'm not too surprised that it couldn't hold a sizable audience. Perhaps Fox is to blame for showing it out of sequence, but Firefly seemed to flop around from episode to episode without any sense of purpose, and at times it felt like a series in its waning years that was running out of plot ideas. I wanted desperately for the show to be great, but it simply... wasn't.

I hope Joss has better luck on his next project, whatever it may be.

20. Jason Seaver