Firefly Cancelled--Officially.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Joel C, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They're basically the same as they were on Monday.

Bottom line, the numbers do not justify the timeslot, and in a fight with Alias for viewers it's losing, especially with Malcom thrown in there.

3. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

4. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I doubt we'll see it on SciFi. I think they blew their budget for the year on Taken and The Children of Dune. I think Showtime would be a great place to see it! Hell, could even get it in HD then. Personally I'd rather see Firefly on SHO than Odyseey 5. O5 just never really clicked with me like Firefly did.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Pulled from TimMinear.net.
    Keep Serenity Flying
    Posted on Dec. 13 2002,20:02 by TimMinearNet
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Firefly: Immediate Assistance Needs Your Help!
    As you may have heard, FOX will not be ordering new episodes of "Firefly." But we're not giving up that easily!
    Joss & Co. are hoping to persuade UPN to buy the show -- and we want to help. Visit http://sgcwebdesign.com/fireflysupp...stcardSheet.pdf to download a sheet of postcards that feature the Variety Ad. Print the document out on cardstock, cut them into fours and mail them to:
    Les Moonves
    CBS
    7800 Beverly Blvd.
    3rd floor
    Los Angeles, CA 90036
    Dawn Tarnofsky-Ostroff
    President, Entertainment (CEO)
    United Paramount Network
    11800 Wilshire Boulevard
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    On the back, let them know how much you enjoyed the show while it was on FOX, and how eager you are for it to find a home with UPN. Keep things upbeat and positive, so they'll know what classy fans Joss and his crew will be bringing to the network! Some ideas for things to mention: your favorite episode, why the show moves you, why you think the show has potential, etc.
    Our two catchwords now are: VOLUME and SPEED. We need a lot of postcards on their desks really damn fast.
    Thanks in advance!
    http://fireflysupport.com

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    OK, if they're trying to sell the show to UPN, why are they asking us to mail CBS/Moonves?? What am I missing here?

7. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I think it's because Viacom owns CBS, UPN, and Paramount, thus both the CBS and UPN addresses. Look the second one is United Paramount Network: UPN.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And Viacom recently consolidated its network television holdings; UPN's business operations now operates out of the CBS offices, with Moonves overseeing everything, although programming is seperate. That's why there was a bit of jumping between networks last year (Wolf Lake started on CBS and ended on UPN; The Amazing Race 2 had reruns on UPN for a couple weeks).

9. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Arggg Terrible Show.

10. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Brogli the Thread Crapper!

11. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

If UPN hasn't picked up Farscape by now with all the internet and mail campaigning that went on I seriously doubt they would pick up a show like Firefly over Farscape.

Heck, fans of Farscape have bought TV and major newspaper advertising, rallies all over, interviews on CNN's Headline Network News, etc.

It baffles me why some TV exec doesn't notice this and respond.

So I have NO hope for a show with a smaller and less loyal fanbase, not to mention one with less critical acclaim.

I like Firefly all the same and hope it gets a home somewhere. I think everyone wants shows that are cheap to produce. Bu by Sci Fi shows.

12. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I think the show would have been much better served if Fox had just let it air with the original pilot in the right order.

It'll certainly be sad if we go from 3 Joss shows to 0 next year.

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

14. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I think they'd have better luck trying to get it on Showtime than UPN. I like Odyssey 5 and Jeremiah but Firefly is SO much better.

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

16. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

Well, I can't say I liked Firefly. In fact, I thought it was absolute garbage, but that's just me. This isn't the first time that Fox has brought out a "promising" Sci Fi series and cut it down shortly there after. I'm definitely reminded of Space: Above and Beyond, a show I much prefered to Firefly. Maybe one day Fox will stop giving these shows crappy timeslots, let them be pre-empted for sports or decide that advertising is for wussies. And when that day comes, Satan will be skating to work.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It appears that efforts to convince UPN to pick up Firefly had proved fruitless:
    From Tim Minnear's website:

18. Jeff Kleist

*cry* Thanks Tim(and Patrick) [​IMG]

19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Anyone know if anymore episodes already in the can of Firefly will see the light of day. Originally I had heard there were more and they would show them all.

20. Jeff Kleist

They said they'll show them all, if I had to guess I'd say they'll shove them into March or April between sweeps