What's new

Firefly Cancelled--Officially. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They're basically the same as they were on Monday.

Bottom line, the numbers do not justify the timeslot, and in a fight with Alias for viewers it's losing, especially with Malcom thrown in there.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
One of the concerns many people have is that the show may be too costly per episode due to the special effects.
The special effects can be computer game cheesy/bad as in LEXX and you can still have an awesome show. Sci-Fi has crappy new mid-season additions like The Dream Team, and they've cancelled Farscape so maybe Firefly will be their next show to pick up.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I doubt we'll see it on SciFi. I think they blew their budget for the year on Taken and The Children of Dune. I think Showtime would be a great place to see it! Hell, could even get it in HD then. Personally I'd rather see Firefly on SHO than Odyseey 5. O5 just never really clicked with me like Firefly did.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pulled from TimMinear.net.
Keep Serenity Flying
Posted on Dec. 13 2002,20:02 by TimMinearNet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firefly: Immediate Assistance Needs Your Help!
As you may have heard, FOX will not be ordering new episodes of "Firefly." But we're not giving up that easily!
Joss & Co. are hoping to persuade UPN to buy the show -- and we want to help. Visit http://sgcwebdesign.com/fireflysupp...stcardSheet.pdf to download a sheet of postcards that feature the Variety Ad. Print the document out on cardstock, cut them into fours and mail them to:
Les Moonves
CBS
7800 Beverly Blvd.
3rd floor
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Dawn Tarnofsky-Ostroff
President, Entertainment (CEO)
United Paramount Network
11800 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90025
On the back, let them know how much you enjoyed the show while it was on FOX, and how eager you are for it to find a home with UPN. Keep things upbeat and positive, so they'll know what classy fans Joss and his crew will be bringing to the network! Some ideas for things to mention: your favorite episode, why the show moves you, why you think the show has potential, etc.
Our two catchwords now are: VOLUME and SPEED. We need a lot of postcards on their desks really damn fast.
Thanks in advance!
http://fireflysupport.com

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I think it's because Viacom owns CBS, UPN, and Paramount, thus both the CBS and UPN addresses. Look the second one is United Paramount Network: UPN.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And Viacom recently consolidated its network television holdings; UPN's business operations now operates out of the CBS offices, with Moonves overseeing everything, although programming is seperate. That's why there was a bit of jumping between networks last year (Wolf Lake started on CBS and ended on UPN; The Amazing Race 2 had reruns on UPN for a couple weeks).

DwightK

Second Unit
If UPN hasn't picked up Farscape by now with all the internet and mail campaigning that went on I seriously doubt they would pick up a show like Firefly over Farscape.

Heck, fans of Farscape have bought TV and major newspaper advertising, rallies all over, interviews on CNN's Headline Network News, etc.

It baffles me why some TV exec doesn't notice this and respond.

So I have NO hope for a show with a smaller and less loyal fanbase, not to mention one with less critical acclaim.

I like Firefly all the same and hope it gets a home somewhere. I think everyone wants shows that are cheap to produce. Bu by Sci Fi shows.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I think the show would have been much better served if Fox had just let it air with the original pilot in the right order.

It'll certainly be sad if we go from 3 Joss shows to 0 next year.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If UPN hasn't picked up Farscape by now with all the internet and mail campaigning that went on I seriously doubt they would pick up a show like Firefly over Farscape.
There might be a wait-and-see attitude on both sides with the end of the 4th season comming up. I have a feeling if there is something going to happen with Farscape, that it will happen in the spring sometime.

Jason

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I think they'd have better luck trying to get it on Showtime than UPN. I like Odyssey 5 and Jeremiah but Firefly is SO much better.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, Firefly might be more appealling for UPN for the same reasons Buffy and Roswell were - even though Fox doesn't technically own a chunk of the network (Paramount bought out Chris-Craft's half), they do own a good chunk of the network's affiliates, so there is a little corporate synergy potential between Fox and UPN that there isn't for Farscape (unless Fox winds up buying Henson Productions off EM.TV - aren't they one rumored suitor?).

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Well, I can't say I liked Firefly. In fact, I thought it was absolute garbage, but that's just me. This isn't the first time that Fox has brought out a "promising" Sci Fi series and cut it down shortly there after. I'm definitely reminded of Space: Above and Beyond, a show I much prefered to Firefly. Maybe one day Fox will stop giving these shows crappy timeslots, let them be pre-empted for sports or decide that advertising is for wussies. And when that day comes, Satan will be skating to work.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
*cry* Thanks Tim(and Patrick) :frowning:
Heck, fans of Farscape have bought TV and major newspaper advertising, rallies all over, interviews on CNN's Headline Network News, etc.
Umm, they have. Sci-Fi said they'll be watching the last half of the season's broadcast numbers, and if they can pull a rough 2.0 they can probably float the $$ needed to make S5 happen

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Anyone know if anymore episodes already in the can of Firefly will see the light of day. Originally I had heard there were more and they would show them all.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They said they'll show them all, if I had to guess I'd say they'll shove them into March or April between sweeps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks