What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

FINALLY.....RHODA!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
Thanks for that review from (obviously) a *real fan* of the series. It was very much appreciated!
Unfortunately, now I'm *really* on the fence regarding this release. Even though you expressed some enthusiasm for the set, you ended by stating that you still couldn't reccomend it!
I dunno': I know it's probably a little trivial in the grand scheme of things, but this set got an immediate negative vibe from me when I learned that the Mary Tyler Moore cameo had been cut out of the initial episode. I agree with you that if "Shout" will promise *right now* that they will provide an uncut iteration of this episode as a bonus on the second season set then that would go a long way toward getting me (and probably many others) off the fence.

Craig Byrne

Agent
Mike*SC said:
Well, there's an episode of "Mary Tyler Moore" where Mary calls Rhoda (who's in bed with Joe) for advice on her own boyfriend (also named Joe). Is it possible that's what you're thinking of?
You know what, you might be right. :frowning: Though for some reason I am remembering it as a Rhoda episode... I could just be confused.
Either way it had me thinking "they must've done crossovers like this often back then" when I was watching.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
After reading the DVD Talk review, I immediately jumped over to Amazon.ca and cancelled my order of Rhoda Season 1. There's no sitting on the fence with me - if they can't get us an unedited version of the show, what's the point. How would you like it if scenes from The Godfather were cut and then charged $29.99 for that version? I'm not that fussed about the quality of the video (some All in the Family episodes look horrible but the content is still great).

I was stupid enough to purchase WKRP after all the warnings against it and they were all right; I'll not be made a fool of twice.

Thanks Brime Hines for an honest assessment of the quality of Rhoda.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Joe*A said:
After reading the DVD Talk review, I immediately jumped over to Amazon.ca and cancelled my order of Rhoda Season 1. There's no sitting on the fence with me - if they can't get us an unedited version of the show, what's the point. How would you like it if scenes from The Godfather were cut and then charged $29.99 for that version? I'm not that fussed about the quality of the video (some All in the Family episodes look horrible but the content is still great).
I was stupid enough to purchase WKRP after all the warnings against it and they were all right; I'll not be made a fool of twice.
Thanks Brime Hines for an honest assessment of the quality of Rhoda.
Hard to compare RHODA with WKRP ... those song cuts hurt a lot more then the syndicated eps of Rhoda, hard for WKRP to work with the new music cues, it really killed the flow of WKRP.
I don't care for the edits of RHODA but it isn't near as bad. I am still happy I got the set. Esp since most who were skeptical like I was gave it a try and it is not as bad as it could be or would seem.
I wish WKRP didn't get released as it did for sure.. same to Rhoda maybe try to rent a disc and give it a try. It is a such a great show.

Craig Byrne

Agent
I've been watching more of this set, and despite the cuts, I have to admit I do LOVE having Rhoda on DVD. It's really not a different experience from watching in syndication.
I'd wish for something better, and think Shout! should definitely look into some fixes, but this is definitely better than no Rhoda at all. To skip it, I think, would result in seriously missing out on some still-good episodes.
I guess I liken it to "what if I taped them off the air when it was on N@N or Comedy Central" - I'd still be missing these scenes most likely, and I'd have to fast forward through pesky commercials.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Although, I still think I may have seen that Mary scene from the pilot...
Interestingly with the pilot, it's pretty obvious they're trying to fill some time as the end credits approach, to cover up for something. I almost wonder if maybe Mary was cut for royalties purposes, or she said she'd appear in it but only the first xx runs of it, and THAT's why Fox would've cut it. I dunno.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
****I liken it to "what if I taped them off the air when it was on N@N or Comedy Central"****
If I want DVDs that are basically the equivalent of my taping them myself off the air with their cuts, then I have a better and less costly way of getting those. For a professional release that dresses itself in fancy packaging and creating the illusion of something better than that and which costs usually five times more than the alternative route, the standard for me is always going to be different. Hence, no sale.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Jack P said:
****I liken it to "what if I taped them off the air when it was on N@N or Comedy Central"****
If I want DVDs that are basically the equivalent of my taping them myself off the air with their cuts, then I have a better and less costly way of getting those. For a professional release that dresses itself in fancy packaging and creating the illusion of something better than that and which costs usually five times more than the alternative route, the standard for me is always going to be different. Hence, no sale.
Yep. I agree 100%! I am not going to bash SHOUT! Factory because I think (all things considered) they are a good company and are capable of doing exemplary TV on DVD work. That said, every dollar spent on an inferior product like this, only further reinforces the ever popular studio belief that you can toss out any kind of shoddy release and still make money on it. Until such time that studios realize they can't (i.e. it is NO LONGER profitable,) the practice will continue. You can bank on it...

Craig Byrne

Agent
Jack P said:
Blank DVDs and video tape still cost money.
But hey, if your route works, then good luck getting further seasons.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I purchased my set today. I still love the show & will purchase any futture sets released. And I agree, you can't compare these cuts to the butchery which happened to WKRP..

Craig Byrne

Agent
I've realized that I should stand corrected in my "remembering the scene where Rhoda calls Mary in the middle of the night" bit - the scene I remember seeing was not in the pilot, but was instead on episode 6, "Pop Goes The Question," and it IS intact on the DVD set.
So, chances are the pilot scene really hasn't been aired in a very long time. Sorry for the misinformation.
It's still a really fun set to watch.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

moogaboo

Agent
Real Name
John H.
I love my Rhoda set. Yeah, the pic quality looks like crap in a lot of areas (it doesn't help that my new tv is super huge) but it's great just having these episodes to watch over and over again. What a great cast, and great writing.
The holiday episode looks especially rough, but it has a Christmas-decorated MTM tag at the end that I had never seen before. I wonder if this was one of the ones culled from a "private collector."

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I believe he refers to the fact that a proper release of S1 is not out, which is my sentiments precisely on the subject. Shout gets no business from me on this title because of that debacle.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
On the Shout Factory Website they've already addressed the question likely on the minds of many as to whether or not this Season 2 release will have the same issues as Season 1 did. I'm encouraged by their response. Seems like they took the fan complaints to heart.
Here's a quote:
[COLOR= #0000ff]I can actually tell you all that we've pulled out ALL the stops to make sure we don't have the same problems as before. I can go into more detail at a slightly later date, but trust me when I say that seasons one and two will be worlds apart. You've spoken and we've listened.
[/COLOR]
Here's a link to the forum thread where the issue is raised and responded to by Shout Factory Staff:
http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/1992/thread.aspx

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
When S1 of a show is ruined that makes all subsequent seasons a no-sale for me regardless of what they do with those years. I never bought Cosby Show, never bought Too Close For Comfort and I'm not about to break that rule for this company. If they fix S1 someday I'll have reason to reconsider, but we know that's not going to happen.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Jack P /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When S1 of a show is ruined that makes all subsequent seasons a no-sale for me regardless of what they do with those years. I never bought Cosby Show, never bought Too Close For Comfort and I'm not about to break that rule for this company. If they fix S1 someday I'll have reason to reconsider, but we know that's not going to happen.
Every episode of The Cosby Show is uncut in the complete season set, including all of Season 1.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ollie /forum/thread/280288/finally-rhoda/150#post_3615237
On the Shout Factory Website they've already addressed the question likely on the minds of many as to whether or not this Season 2 release will have the same issues as Season 1 did. I'm encouraged by their response. Seems like they took the fan complaints to heart.
Here's a quote:
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]I can actually tell you all that we've pulled out ALL the stops to make sure we don't have the same problems as before. I can go into more detail at a slightly later date, but trust me when I say that seasons one and two will be worlds apart. You've spoken and we've listened.
[/COLOR]
Here's a link to the forum thread where the issue is raised and responded to by Shout Factory Staff:
http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/1992/thread.aspx
See, here's what I don't get... doesn't Shout (or any manufacturer, for that matter) learn from the past?
Every time we get a chopped up season 1, we bitch and moan and don't buy it. Then, for season 2, they "pull out all the stops" and the second season is "a world apart".
Do we have to do this dance every time? It always ends the same way. Season 1 is edited, people bitch and don't buy it, and when season 2 comes out, even though it's done correctly, many people still don't buy because they don't have season 1. Can't, for once, they just assume we're going to complain and not buy, and get season 1 right so we don't have to go through this damn dance EVERY. SINGLE. TIME?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks