What's new

Pink Floyd “Animals” Including 5.1 Version Finally Coming (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
No release date yet but Roger Waters put out an announcement today that the impasse between him and Gilmour over this release has been settled (though, of course, not without some requisite digs at Gilmour). Turns out it was due to liner notes that Gilmour didn’t want included. Supposedly he wants PF to keep a somewhat mysterious aura (though you can read the notes on Waters’ website. I could see why Gilmour was adverse to include them, they are somewhat poorly written and they are mostly about Roger with only very brief mentions of the other’s contributions). Roger finally agreed to drop them so now the release can proceed. It will include a CD, a vinyl copy, a DVD and Blu Ray containing the new 5.1 mix, new stereo mix and original stereo mix in hi res (ie. likely expensive). Unfortunately, it’s heavily believed that the set will include no audio bonus material (it’s been said that PF didn’t keep demos/outtakes from that era to thwart bootleggers, but there are a things out there. The 8-Track version of Pigs on the Wing with the two parts bridged together by the Snowy White guitar solo, which I don’t believe was ever made available on any subsequent PF release. Raving and Drooling and Gotta be Crazy, the early versions of “Sheep” and “Dogs” were included on the, I presume long OOP “Wish You Were Here” immersion boxed set, but I think their inclusion would be warranted on this set as well. I also heard a version of “Dogs” on YouTube recently where Roger sings the first half. I’m not sure if any shows from the subsequent “In the Flesh” tour was professionally recorded).

Last edited:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Thanks for the update. Been hoping for a surround mix of "Animals" for ages, so I will be picking this set up for sure, although I (and my wallet) would have been happier with a standalone Blu-Ray release. However, history has shown that that won't happen with Floyd.
Raving and Drooling and Gotta be Crazy, the early versions of “Sheep” and “Dogs” were included on the, I presume long OOP “Wish You Were Here” immersion boxed set,
Although it is OOP, it is readily available. I never bought any of the Immersion boxes before, but I grabbed the WYWH box last month on Amazon for $85 new. I mainly got it to get the Blu-Ray. Both the WYWH and Wall sets are still available on Amazon for under $100. DSOTM, on the other hand, is going for $300 to start. Yikes!

The Wall would seem to be an ideal candidate for a surround mix. Hoping that shows up eventually.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The Wall would seem to be an ideal candidate for a surround mix. Hoping that shows up eventually.
For a long time it was rumored that the multitrack tapes for the Wall were in too poor condition to do a proper 5.1 mix. However I read on another forum that a recent interview (sometime late last year) with James Guthrie confirmed that he is working on a multichannel version. Whether or not it gets released anytime in the near future is anyone’s guess I suppose. However apparently in the big Waters v Floyd lawsuit, Roger was awarded full control over The Wall. So ie. He wouldn’t need Gilmore’s sign off on a release.
I’d also one day like to see an “uncut” release that restores “What Shall We Do Now?” And the full version of “The Show Must Go On”

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
For a long time it was rumored that the multitrack tapes for the Wall were in too poor condition to do a proper 5.1 mix. However I read on another forum that a recent interview (sometime late last year) with James Guthrie confirmed that he is working on a multichannel version. Whether or not it gets released anytime in the near future is anyone’s guess I suppose. However apparently in the big Waters v Floyd lawsuit, Roger was awarded full control over The Wall. So ie. He wouldn’t need Gilmore’s sign off on a release.
I’d also one day like to see an “uncut” release that restores “What Shall We Do Now?” And the full version of “The Show Must Go On”
Yes What Shall We Do Now should definitely be included in a new release of The Wall.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Blu-Ray was finally released yesterday. I can’t recommend enough hearing this in 5.1. In many ways a completely new interpretation of the album. The separation now gives all instruments (especially Rick’s keyboards) to be fully heard. 20 bucks on Amazon. Well worth it

My only gripe is the packaging. Comes in a flimsy cardboard sleeve

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Blu-Ray was finally released yesterday. I can’t recommend enough hearing this in 5.1. In many ways a completely new interpretation of the album. The separation now gives all instruments (especially Rick’s keyboards) to be fully heard. 20 bucks on Amazon. Well worth it

My only gripe is the packaging. Comes in a flimsy cardboard sleeve
Is this only available in BluRay, or is a CD included?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Is this only available in BluRay, or is a CD included?

There is a CD that contains the 2018 mix, a DVD version and a Blu-Ray version which contains the 2018 mix in stereo and 5.1 and the original 1977 stereo mix (blu ray has DTS and Uncompressed PCM but does not include a standard CD), there is also a hybrid SACD (which I initially wanted to get but for some reason isn’t carried by Amazon) then there is the boxed set with the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray and a vinyl copy of the 2018 mix

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m not into surround music, but I’ll get the two channel 24/96 from HDTracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.