What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Everwood (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Here's a little good news: Everwood is going to be rerun on ABC Family starting Oct. 2:

http://abcfamily.go.com/home.html

So I guess I'll be making my own dvds of the 2nd-4th seasons as they air; I urge others to do the same, since it appears our cause is over. Now if we can get them to rerun "American Dreams," all would be well ;)

ElizM

Agent
Real Name
Just a reminder to fans who might be interested. ABC Family just started broadcasting Everwood last night, beginning with the Pilot episode. It airs M-F at 6pm EST. Not sure if the ratings will result in the remaining releases of S2-S4 of the show onto DVD from Warner Bros., but here's hoping they might take note if the ratings are really good.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The way they've snubbed the fans of Everwood on dvd, I don't think that even Gregory Smith becoming Pope would get them to release it. Let's just tape the whole series off Family and forget it.

Real Name
Bill D.
There is a website selling all 4 seasons in a package for $199.99. If you really want them, it seems like that may be an option. For clarification purposes, I wouldn't recommend it... :eek:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
If that site is selling what it claims to be selling, it is clearly dealing in pirated material sourced from God-knows-what.

(Which is probably why someone's removed the link. :))

That's assuming you actually get a box of discs instead of an empty box or nothing at all for your money. Why would anyone want to give their credit card information to people they already know are, by definition, crooks?

People are always trying to get something for nothing, or a lot for a little, or something they can't get elsewhere. Conmen prey on exactly these desires. People concentrating on what they want are less likely to be looking out for dangers.

Regards,

Joe

Real Name
Bill D.
Joe, you are probably correct. I actually chose not to post the link for that reason. Caveat Emptor. :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Here's the site's feature list for their Babylon 5 complete series release:
  • The Babylon 5 dvd collection in a boxed set, all 110 episodes on 30 DVD's are organize from pilot to finale.
  • The Babylon 5 dvd collection also includes custom artwork and episode guides so you can find your favorite episode at anytime.
  • The Babylon 5 dvd collection are formatted region free so they will play on any DVD player, DVD-ROM X-Box or PS2 Worldwide.
  • All DVDs are presented in full screen, commercial free and unedited. Exactly the same as it was shown in American television.
  • Presented in English
  • This item has not been rated
This set was probably sourced from either the 4:3 PAL videotapes or a combination of the NTSC videotapes and off-the-air recordings because Babylon 5 has never had a 4:3 DVD release and never had a complete 4:3 NTSC release at all. (The VHS and LD releases were cancelled when rumor of a DVD release leaked out and sales dropped.)

They aren't even pirating the stuff from the actual DVDs. Maybe they think that somehow makes what they're doing "legal". But their cover art shows no studio logos or copyright notices, and the site is entirely lacking in trademark and copyright information. They don't even include the usual phony claim about offering "authorized" copies, they just ingore the whole issue.

I think you did the right thing in not including the link.

Regards,

Joe

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I receive TONS of emails from people that have been ripped off by that site. Not because they got a pirated set with shoddy recordings, but because they didn't receive anything at all. Remember, these people are breaking multiple laws already, so stealing some of your money isn't a big deal to them. There's very little you can do to get your money back from them since they have no physical address. The best you can do is appeal to your credit card company.

I'd stay very far away from that site.

Gord

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

In fact, stealing some of your money may be the only reason the site exists. The whole "cheap TV DVDs" thing may simply be an elaborate form of "phishing", which could also explain why the set descriptions are so shoddy (and the English often questionable.)

Thanks for the insight, Gord.

Regards,

Joe

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
that site in question always baffled me. When they have "complete series sets" of shows from the 70's and 80's, wouldn't they just be syndicated edits?

However, I do think that other companies should look at that site and follow suit. Let Warner go ahead and release a limited run of "Complete Everwood" sets for $199.99 to battle the bootleggers. Instead of always doing complete sets for shows that the fans already own all the seasons for to begin with.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

I think Warner should do what Fox does and release Everwood in volumes (2 volumes per season). I keep hearing from people that the season set cost too much money (keep in mind these are 15-20 year olds) and they couldn't afford to buy it until the price came down. Splitting the seasons and reducing the price should make it easier for these people to afford the sets, and allow Warner Bros to continue releasing it. It's not the ideal situation, but neither is the one we have now.

As for this site... they do ship some material out, they just rip people off as well.

Gord

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I believe the site we are talking about is actually located somewhere in Asia. I have stumbled across more than one site, but they are all very, very similar, offer some of the same dvds and are probably run by the same crooks. Can't imagine why I'd buy anything from them when the real deal comes out in good time. For instance, they've been boasting their version of the complete Get Smart for a long time, on sale NOW for $129.99. Well, big whoop...the REAL Get Smart complete series is coming, so why should we be bothered with a bootleg?

LCD22

Screenwriter

Hopefully with "Everwood" now airing its entire run on ABC Family, new audiences will buy the first season DVD. ABC Family has already done an incredible job in promoting the re-runs. It's a good idea, going in "two volumes", but I'm concern about the music. Here's hoping if they take your advice, they'll keep the original music even though they've said it’s costly. I bought the DVD last year, and from what I've seen of the DVD (I haven't had time to watch all of the episodes and extras) Warner Bros. did a tremendous job with it. It's a wonderful family drama that should continue. I was curious about this series, but never watched it until somebody recommended it. I started watching "Everwood" on the WB when it came back on from hiatus (I started watching it in Season 3).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Just a reminder, season two of Everwood will begin airing on Thursday, November 2nd, with "The Last of Summer." Assuming there are no pre-emptions, we can tape all of season two by the end of November! By the end of January, we can tape the whole series. Take that, Warner Brothers! Here is a little episode guide, pasted from epguides.com :

24. 2- 1 15 Sep 03 The Last of Summer
25. 2- 2 22 Sep 03 Extra Ordinary
26. 2- 3 29 Sep 03 My Brother's Keeper
27. 2- 4 6 Oct 03 East Meets West
28. 2- 5 13 Oct 03 Daddy's Little Girl
29. 2- 6 20 Oct 03 Blind Faith
30. 2- 7 3 Nov 03 Three Miners From Everwood
31. 2- 8 10 Nov 03 The Burden of Truth
32. 2- 9 17 Nov 03 Just Like in the Movies
33. 2-10 24 Nov 03 Unhappy Holidays
34. 2-11 19 Jan 04 Family Dynamics
35. 2-12 26 Jan 04 Controlling Interest
36. 2-13 2 Feb 04 Forget Me Not
37. 2-14 9 Feb 04 No Sure Thing
38. 2-15 16 Feb 04 The L Word
39. 2-16 23 Feb 04 Unspoken Truths
40. 2-17 5 Apr 04 Unfinished Business
41. 2-18 12 Apr 04 Last Looks
42. 2-19 19 Apr 04 Sick
43. 2-20 26 Apr 04 Do or Die
44. 2-21 3 May 04 Your Future Awaits
45. 2-22 10 May 04 The Day Is Done

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
All things must end--today the last episode of Everwood is to be rerun on ABC Family. If you notice in their tv guide listings, however, there are no further episodes scheduled; which I guess means that they're not going to keep running it??? I hope this is only temporary. Maybe they'll show it again in the summer or something. If anybody hears any news, post it here! But it was nice of them to run the whole series all the way through. I kept to my word and dvd'd all the episodes of seasons 2-4, although I wound up missing a couple. Hopefully I'll get them the second time around.

Beau

Supporting Actor
It is. They havent said when they'll bring it back, but they did say they would eventually. They're replacing it with 7th Heaven until they do. (Oh, the irony!)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Hehehe actually 7th Heaven has been on the whole time Everwood's been running; it used to come on right before Everwood. But EW only takes 4 months to show in its entirety so they probably don't want people to see it over and over and get sick of it. Maybe they'll just run through the episodes twice a year.

And why the heck don't they show American Dreams instead, while they're at it? 7th Heaven is one of those shows that it seems is always on; American Dreams hasn't been seen even once in the two years it's been off the air--was the whole series just a dream, or does it really exist? I'm beginning to wonder--

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

??? You correctly note that Everwood burns through all its episodes in 5-day-a-week "stripped" syndication in about 16 weeks. Then you wonder why they aren't running American Dreams, which at 61 episodes would only last about 12?

There's a reason that the conventional wisdom in Hollywood is that you need 100 episodes to be viable in syndication, and this is exacly why. Comedies bear up better under repeated viewings than dramas, and a few genre shows with fanatical fan bases have managed to skirt the rule (think Star Trek at only 79 episodes.) But generally speaking any drama in reruns loses ratings points with every rerun cycle. Serialized dramas tend to lose audience faster since viewers rarely start "right back in at the start" after reaching the end. And shows with shorter runs fare even less well for obvious reasons. (By the time I've spent 6 months watching all five seasons of Babylon 5 I may be ready to go back to episode 1 and watch it again. But if I started a series that only ran two seasons a little over 4 weeks ago, I'm not likely to tune in again to watch episodes that are still very fresh in my mind.)

And reruns tend not to work when run once a week, for either fans or broadcasters -and, again, this is especially true of serialized dramas. The realities of production and sweeps periods determine how first run episodes of a show like Lost are aired, and fans have to put up with it. But nobody would want to see Lost reruns aired even once a week.

So few, if any shows with under 100 episodes have ever or will ever see the light of reruns, which is why TV on DVD is such a godsend to the studios (it can allow them to turn a profit on shows that would otherwise be money losers for them, since most scripted TV shows don't start making money until they are sold into syndication.) And any show in syndication (with the possible exception of perennials like the various Lucy shows, The Twilight Zone and in more recent times, Seinfeld) will gradually "burn out" in a given timeslot or on a given channel and need to be "rested' before it can air again.

This is all simply the nature of the business.

Regards,

Joe

ShadowMagist

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
Um...I just want to bring this up...

Amazon has a season 2 page up and I've been watching it for awhile now. Anyways, a couple of weeks ago, its status changed from "Currently Unavailable" to "Not Yet Released". Now, it would be pretty pointless to change the status of the DVD, unless something wasn't happening. So, could it be in production? Or am I reading too much into this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks