What's new

Everwood (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I know some people are saying NOBODY would buy a season 2 set of Everwood, but I don't get it.... consider these:

1. there are a lot of people who are holding off getting season 1 until they know season 2 and onward is out.

2. Everwood DOES have a fanbase and I highly doubt it flopped that badly on DVD, it just isn't as prolific as Gilmore Girls nor does it have the "heartthrob" appeal that One Tree Hill does, so the sales were a bit slower. Yet at the same time, I highly doubt that "nobody would buy it".

3. Marcia Cross!!! Paramount is apparently even going to release seasons 1 and 2 of Melrose on DVD on the same day. At least among circles I know, she's the most beloved Housewife. Throw her face on the season 2 DVD cover and watch sales skyrocket (much like WB had no immediate plans for Lois And Clark, but then released it to cash in on Teri Hatcher and it's done very well). (and when options 1 and 2 aren't enough, this should be the dealbreaker)

4. the show just ended, I guess the fans are really sour right now about the way they were done wrong. They took their frustrations out on WHV and can you really blame them? It's not like all the Everwood fans can at least take solace that they will be able to watch all the episodes on DVD whenever they want. Whereas if One Tree Hill was cancelled, fans would be bitter, but they at least have the DVD's to fall back on and enjoy.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Of course the subject was both TV and Animation. But some people were posting questions on these topics, they were posting long, tedious, pre-written essays. It was the chat equivalent of what I often see at book events on C-SPAN 2's "Book TV" weekends or hear on the C-SPAN call-in shows. Instead of asking a focused question and getting to the point someone gets up and makes a speech. Usually these things start with the Big Bang and end earlier the same morning, when the speaker/writer finally gets around to the question. I find this tedious, annoying and rude. (Not to mention egotistical.)

Regards,

Joe

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
So is this an Everwood thread or a 'lets bitch about that HTF chat because EVERWOOD FANS RUINED IT' thread?

Or are they one and the same?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yes, I can really blame them. I do really blame them. Mature adults do not attack innocent third parties for the actions of others. That's something two-year-olds do on the playground. Adults deal with disappointments and act fairly. And when they misbehave they take responsibility for their actions and apologize.

Regards,

Joe

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
^ I agree. Like I said, I don't like Everwood enough to own but part of me hopes that all of the Everwood fans sent a message to Warner last night that 2 years is too long a gap between releases. No company stinks worse at releasing one set and then abandoning it.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
So...is this an Everwood thread or a 'lets bitch about that HTF chat because EVERWOOD FANS RUINED IT' thread?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
you said earlier on this thread that releasing season 2 would be a financial fiasco because "What the fans don't "get" is that Warner Bros. is not a charitable institution whose mission is to lose money releasing TV shows that nobody wants to buy.". As far as I'm concerned... nobody wants to buy, and nobody would buy are one and the same. If nobody would want to buy something, why would they buy it?

You really sound like you need a dosing of some Everwood (since it's a "nice" show) considering how serious and personal you take things. Lighten up, there's no need to be a jerk to others.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately that's what killed the show on DVD. Had those fans bought season 1 then Warner Bros would have seen strong sales for the show and season 2 would have been released. Waiting for the next season before you buy the one that's out is what holds up the release of the next season.

If you love a show and want to see it continued on DVD then you should buy the sets as they come out, and encourage your friends to do so as well.

Gord

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
The real problem is the business model of the media industry. Instead of earning a little profit on multiple releases over an extended period of time, they seek to make an instant killing out of a handful of expensive and risky "blockbusters". The result is a bastardization of culture, and a smothering of diversity, creativity and imagination. It is not that they lost money on the first season of Everwood - it is only that they didn't make a gazillion out of it, and under their current drug dealer mentality of getting rich quick they can't conceive of steadily making some money here and a little more there... eventually adding up to something meaningful.

But even then, they might think of investing in the goodwill of the people who pay their salaries. Releasing the remaining seasons won't bring in the earnings they expect - but it will keep their customers happy and make them grateful. Isn't that worth anything for these people? Don't they mind that their brands become a synonym of mediocrity, unreliability and shabbiness? Don't these neanderthals understand the value of not having their customers despise them? I know I couldn't care less about these vultures getting ripped off by downloaders, and sure as hell would not support any measure intended to help them fight any form of piracy...

My favorite classical label is Naxos. I never download any of their albums - always gladly pay for them as a way of supporting a worthy enterprise. They subsidize recordings of lesser known composers through sales of more popular opera and theme compilations. Its founder and owner even acknowledges that certain recordings won't ever recoup its cost. Surely they could scrap the complete orchestral works of Penderecki and marginally improve their earnings in the short term, but they record them anyway out of their love for music.

And you know what? Not only do they not go bankrupt - they have displaced the traditional, big conglomerate executive-run major labels and are now the largest classical label in the world. And the most profitable too. Whenever I must choose between competing versions, I always pick a Naxos CD. And all my friends and relatives do so as well. See, running your business in a decent manner pays off too.

GaryEA

Second Unit

Ratings, in rare occassions, can be a part of the equation. They can influence purchases.

"Seventh Heaven's" finale was rated high enough that the CW greenlit another season of 7H over "Everwood", which was supposed to be on the new network. This got Everwood's fans really angry, and the fanbase goes beyond people who post on the Internet or buy season sets.

Because of the uproar over this news, and the airing of the finale, "Everwood's" first season has climbed back onto Amazon's top seller's list. And one of those sales is my own.

Will renewed sales be enough for the WB to consider green-lighting a Season Two set? We'll have to see.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I was all prepared to buy season 1 of Everwood on DVD when it was released a few years ago but I changed my mind as soon as I found out it was 4:3 and not 16:9. I had already seen each episode and was looking forward to seeing them again in widescreen but the full frame release squelched that idea. I wonder how many people passed on buying season 1 for the same reason?

I was staying away from buying CSI for the same reason until the list price was dropped on seasons 1 and 2 (season 1 is 4:3). I picked both up for less than $24 each during a Deep Discount DVD sale and soon after bought season 3, 4, and 5. Maybe Warner Brothers should drop the price on season 1 of Everwood and see of sales pick up? Or perhaps they should reissue it with each epiosode presented in the 16:9 aspect ratio of the HD broadcasts. I'd love to own each season of Everwood on DVD... in widescreen.

ThomasDE

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas
Everwood has always been in Fullscreen and i don't know if they put Everwood in HD widescreen at the time it aired. It is $17 on amazon at the moment. The 1st and last episode of the season are in non-anamorphic widescreen.

Beau

Supporting Actor
I understand that. It sucks for us Everwood fans and fans of any tv show that only gets one season on DVD, but I totally understand it. I was just getting in a bitching about how the opposite seemed to be true when it came to the show staying on tv (which is a bit more important issue with me than the series on DVD).

I know it's a little useless to bug Warner about releasing more seasons, and I wasn't in the chat, but I guess I can still hold hope that the recent ending of the series can boost sales a bit for S1, and maybe they'll realise they can promote a S2 release with Marcia Cross on the cover.

Magnus_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, my 2c on the issue.

Warner needs to tell us how many copies it actually did sell, after that's been taken care of just tell us how many additional sales is reqiuired to get S2 on DVD.
They could very well claim information like that to be a corporate secret etc. but the fact remains, we don't know what their "magic number" is and how far from that the sales actually were/are.
If they sold 75000 copies while their go ahead figure was 80000 it's a bit low but somewhat ok, should they have sold say 23000 copies with the same target it's extremely low and we would be more understanding as to why nothing more was released.

Why not take a chance (and informing us about it), release season 2 and if it doesn't sell they've got everything clearly stated in black and white.
Then they could say: Hey, we released S2 and we lost some money on it, had you bought it S3 would have been on it's way right now...

TV on DVD isn't what it was a few years ago, sales has been climbing since then and it's grown from a niche product to a massmarket product.
A show that had mediocre support a few years back could be a major seller today, we can't stick to old statistics in a market that's changed.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Warner needs to tell us how many copies it actually did sell

That would be a trade and corporate secret, and the chances of that happening are less than zero. The sales figures for individual titles will never come out. Information like that reveals valuable information to competitors and potential investors.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Okay, I have to butt in again:

Checking the transcript, I see there were only THREE Everwood questions. Three. Hardly an innundation, by any means. And the questions were rather polite. Probably the second two posters came in hours after the first one and had no clue that these questions had been asked already. I find the endless animation spec questions far more repetitious, trivial and boring.

There seems to be a growing effort to get more Everwood on dvd. Yeah. So. Is that a problem? Seems like everybody who doesn't care about Everwood is quick to jump down the throats of those who do. Look, I apologize that Treat Williams is no substitute for "Markie Post," but, to each their own.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

true, but considering that it's doing so well on Amazon, I think Warner should let the fans know whether it's a MTM type situation where it will eventually move the numbers needed for season 2, or if sales are so low that everyone who owns a copy can buy a second and it still would be too low. Trade secret? I don't see why finding out if Everwood sold, say, 83k units (just a guess) would be any different than finding out how many copies Madonna's latest CD has scanned? you can find music sales information all over the web, I don't see why it's different with DVD's than with CD's. I think if Warner POSTED sales info, that would be more of an enticement to fans who were thinking "you know, I kinda wanted to get Happy Days" knowing it only needed an extra 5000 sold to merit season 2 for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks