What's new

Episode I -- No DTS... (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I do think, however, that a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track from 24 bit master audio elements would have been icing on the cake. My God, The Haunting in DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 was spectacular!!
I think a lot of the decision was political, not as much space, or technical considerations. Willow won't have a DTS track either, 24/96 or otherwise. Same production company: LucasFilm.
Other companies have shown it can be done...
Dan
P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if the super-duper deluxe DVD version of the combined Star Wars Saga in 2006 or 2007 has DTS-ES on board. As I've soured on Star Wars and what Lucas has done to it, I think can wait 'til then (or longer for an HD-DVD version).
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
Forgive me if this is a stupid question:
Was Phantom Menace ever shown at the cinema in DTS? I was just wondering, what with Lucas seeming to favour DD.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Yes it was...saw it in a theater with it, THX certified to boot!!! Saw this movie for the first time in SDDS...
Of all the theaters I saw this in though, the one with the most explosive sound was a theater a friend of mine ran with a brand spanking new Dolby Surround EX system installed a week before TPM...I was blown away in this theater, more so than the DTS or SDDS theaters
------------------
card11.jpg

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
It will only have Dolby Digital EX....
I'm just rifling through this morning, so my apologies if the following sentiment has already been expressed...
Who here has heard the DD track on laser disc and/or DVD? Unless you have complaining about the lack of a DTS track frankly just doesn't have merit. The DD track on laser disc is absolutely reference quality - There is nothing "only" about it. I haven't heard it on DVD but early reports suggest that it is of equal calibre.
I like DTS as well, but it boggles my mind that every time a highly anticipated release is announced without everybody is up in arms, never even hearing how the DD track sounds.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Many reports indicate that this was the best sounding DVD ever (dts or otherwise) so I am not worried about no dts. I say just enjoy the disk.
Question--- How many people will buy the disk now, (people that said they would not be buying it a few months ago) based on the great reviews of the disk?
orangeman
------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I am surprised no one has started a petition for this. Usally when you guys are unhappy about something it is a petition to get your way. Granted I would enjoy a DTS version myself, but as said before by others I am not to worried about it either. The reviews have given good word on the sound. And I am sure Luca$ will release a DTS version in the future. Possibly 2007 after everyone buys the Dolby versions.

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
I was waiting for this thread -- :D
I listened to the DVD last night and the soundtrack is nothing short of spectacular.
If you do not think the pod race sequence is the new reference material its probably because it blew your sub the first time you played it. It's more than just the base though, Rachel hit it on the head when she posted about " care taken in crafting a soundtrack is the most important thing,"
Wait a while ( a little less for those of you coming out to LA
wink.gif
) and judge for yourself.
Thanks for your interest,
Peter Staddon

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I gave the LD what will probably be its last spin last weekend. I am keeping it for prosterity, the fact that it looks damn cool in that gatefold sleeve and the fact that at the time of its release, I went through so much (...pain & money) to get it. It's worth keeping.
Until the HTF LA meet then, all I can do is make pod racer noises. Neawwwwwww, chug, chug, chug chug... (that was Sebulba's).
biggrin.gif

Dan (UK)

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Thank You Mr. Staddon on your report. I trust your word as do others. I will be buying this Disc and had planned to anyway. :D

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
In light of Mr. Staddon and the entire community who has heard TPM:LD's soundmix's comments, I'm growing rapidly worried that my home theatre system will be cooked when TPM is finally played in my machine.
I have a really modest home theatre, albeit Dolby Digital 5.1 with 60W/channel deliverable to each speaker. (I didn't pay more than $100 for the subwoofer, and around $180 for the four speakers, and another $100 for the center)It's the speakers themselves I'm worried about. If this is such a powerful mix, what can I do to prevent my nice modest home theatre system from going up in smoke when TPM fries it? (This is a serious question, and I don't really want to compress the soundtrack.) Or am I worrying for no reason?
The speakers are all set to Small, and so all bass should be routed to the sub.
Cheers,
Scott

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Scott,
Just to be on the safeside, don't turn it up very loud!
laugh.gif

Perhaps GL is in collusion with SVS?
laugh.gif

Seriously though, the DVD is gonna be awesome!
------------------
Regards,
Daryl

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
At first I was disappointed that there'd be no DTS track, simply because I had the LD for a year (sold it for what I paid one week before the announcement) and just would like to have something different on the movie itself (I dont have a 16x9 TV).
But the Dolby was just so awesome I don't care too much. I haven't heard too many people lament over the lack of DTS on Toy Story 2, and I think this will be the same.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I'm growing rapidly worried that my home theatre system will be cooked when TPM is finally played in my machine.
This is absolutely a system threatening soundtrack. Use caution.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm an adamant supporter of dts, but if the inclusion of a dts track encroaches on the picture quality, I would prefer a Dolby Digital track instead, e.g. X-Men. I believe that is the case with the Episode I DVD.
Because of all of the positive comments about the sound on this DVD, I'm not really concerned about the lack of dts.
------------------
flag.jpg

[Edited last by Tom_G on September 15, 2001 at 10:03 AM]

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Bravo Tom_G!
We should not compromise video quality.
---------
usa.gif

[Edited last by Chris Maynard on September 15, 2001 at 10:44 AM]

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the warning, guys.. I'll only crank it up just high enough before my sub bottoms out.
wink.gif
I remembered being buffeted by waves of sub power when podracer engines ignited in the theatre, that sea creature roars, the ambassador's corvette exploding and the 3 way jedi battle.
a system threatening soundtrack. Use caution.
"Use caution, these Jedi are not to be underestimated.."
And, no.. I can't afford a SVS yet. :) Let me get some disposable income when I get out of uni.
New speakers on the way in 6 months either way, methinks. (another good reason to watch all my DVDs again.)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My only regret is that my current DIY sub will not be complete by that time. I expect this DVD could probably have the best sound (or at least be among the top 5) according to all the praise it has been getting.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks