What's new

Episode I -- No DTS... (1 Viewer)

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
Damn, I wish I could afford the trip to the LA meet!
Roll on October 16th. Well, about a week after that actually (and thats if the post is back to normal)
------------------
"Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
My DVD List

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
As cool as a dts track for this dvd would be, I must agree with Tom with his statement regarding picture quality. Cramming too much info on a disc even at this mature stage in dvd authoring...is a bad idea. We've come a long way, but not far enough to the point where we can cram all this stuff on one disc and have no compromise.
I just got finished watching Blow, and let me tell you, what a transfer this would have been if they decided to go the 2-disc route. The compression artifacts are noticable, especially on a bigger display. The fact that reviewers are saying that Episode 1 has flawless compression is a testament for going the 2-disc route, and not trying to cram a million things onto the film.
It will be very nice to see a separate dts version in the future..possibly without the commentary tracks and animated menus. But for now trust me, if the dolby track is anything like the LD, we're in for a treat.
chris

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Just an interesting aside for everyone, I had a chance to see a talk by Ben Burtt (sound designer for all SW films, editor for prequels) last year in Syracuse, NY. His dad was a chemistry prof. at Syracuse University for years (my Dad had him!), and many of the sounds from the original StarWars were recorded on our campus (i.e., sounds of chemical reactions in his Dad's lab, walking on snow on Hoth, etc).
The deep base sound from the growling fish in the water was actually a recording of (believe it or not!) his baby daughter "cooing" into a microphone. This sound was then fed into a synthesizer and slowed down to the low gutteral growl that will shake your house on this DVD. Pretty neat stuff.
If you want a full report on his talk (I did one for Aint it cool news), goto AICN and do a search for Ben Burtt and Corleone (that is my AICN handle). It was really an interesting evening hearing him speak!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks