What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Saint Omer (2022) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
7nslycY8VgPrwkyYP9YWsAIRwStlxs_large.jpg
Bringing a documentarian’s sense of open-ended inquiry to her first narrative feature, writer-director Alice Diop constructs a morally and emotionally layered courtroom drama unlike any other. When she travels to Saint-Omer, France, to attend the trial of a young Senegalese woman (Guslagie Malanda) accused of murdering her infant daughter, novelist Rama (Kayije Kagame) finds herself shaken to the core by a case that proves to have profound resonances with her own life. Interweaving complex themes of mother-daughter bonds, immigrant alienation, and postcolonial trauma into a piercing portrait of two mysteriously connected women, Diop forgoes mere questions of guilt and innocence in order to plumb the unsettling unknowability of the human soul.

FILM INFO​

• France
  • 123 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • French
  • Spine #1212

DIRECTOR-APPROVED BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 2K digital master, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • New interviews with director Alice Diop
    • Conversation between Diop and author Hélène Frappat
    • Conversation between Diop and filmmaker Dee Rees from a 2023 episode of The Director’s Cut – A DGA Podcast
    • Trailer
    • New English subtitle translation
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Jennifer Padjemi

New design by Michael Boland

March 26, 2024

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
And I just received the UK blu-ray today :biggrin: A fantastic drama. Of course I'll get the Criterion.

IMG_6179.jpg

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Saw the Criterion blu-ray this evening. An astonishing film. I was completely mesmerised by the visuals - projected onto a large screen, the images of the faces are extraordinary; the picture is reference quality. And the excellent essay included with Criterion's disc makes this very powerful film even more thought-provoking: the film is based on a real-life 2013 case. And the amazing closing argument by the defence-attorney was lifted from the actual trial. As a gynaecologist/obstetrician, I can attest to the authenticity of the film. A much more riveting movie than Anatomy Of A Fall but very interesting to have two current French films concerning murder trials in the French legal system - with totally different approaches. Saint Omer is the one that will stick with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks