What's new

Eli Wallach RIP (1 Viewer)

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
He had a great role in "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" that went through the entire movie -- he probably thought at the time 'I'm 94, this is a nice way to go out' -- and it was.

Excellent article from Variety, thank you for linking it above -- one of the comments made beneath the article by the readers were also memorable, including this one by one of the readers, Leonard Bloom:

"Many years ago, during a performance at Long Wharf Theater in New Haven, CT, I noticed that my wife and I were seated next to Eli Wallach, Anne Jackson, Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. At intermission, I gazed down at Mr. Wallach and then asked him the following question: “Didn’t you die in the film “The God, the Bad and the Ugly?” Wallach had a smile on his face after hearing my query and then retorted: “Clint (Eastwood) saved me.” I shall forever remember that evening meeting all 4 distinguished actors and particularly Mr. Wallach’s brief comment to my question. What a man and he’s from Broolyn where I also was born"

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
By total coincidence, just two nights my wife and I watched Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole in 'How to Steal a Million' and were trying to remember just who the actor was playing Davis Leland.
It was really nagging us. Then, just before the movie ended, it clicked. 'Spaghetti western', I said. Of course there was far more as well.
A great loss.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
I was sad to hear Eli Wallach had passed. I've lost track of how many times I've seen The Good, The Bad & The Ugly growing up. Wallach's performance as Tuco is one of the key things that made that movie an enduring classic. Wallach walked a fine line in that role balancing between comedy relief and sadism and still managing to have audiences liking the guy at the end of the movie (or at least hoping he didn't die).

In 1991, Eli Wallach was the commencement speaker at School of Visual Arts' graduation ceremonies, held at Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center. I was such a big fan of Tuco that when I got my slip of paper from the Dean, I trotted over to the end of the stage where Wallach was sitting. I shook his hand and repeated his line: "There are two kinds of spurs in the world my friend, those that come in by the door and those that come in by the window." I even did the Sign of the Cross thing. He smiled and laughed.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
His lines from the bathtub scene in TGTB&TU were always good for a chuckle. "If you are going to shoot......shoot! Don't talk!

RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks