What's new

Eli Wallach RIP (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just read on the web that Eli Wallach passed at the age of 98.

I believe I will view The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly this weekend in remembrance of a great character actor.

Condolences to his friends and relatives.

- Walter.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Sad, but oh man what a full life he led. My wife, not a big movie aficionado, loved him in his role in "The Holiday". When I was watching "The Magnificent Seven" BD one day, she said "Where do I know him from?". I then explained ALL the different roles Mr. Wallach played over the years. Truly one of the greats. RIP

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
"You never had a rope around your neck. Well, I'm going to tell you something. When that rope starts to pull tight, you can feel the Devil bite your ass!"

You will be missed Mr. Wallach! You had heart and imbued the characters you portrayed with humanity. Adios muchacho!!!!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
As a kid, I saw him in HOW THE WEST WAS WON and LORD JIM (both on class trips). Then in 1969, in high school, I saw him in three westerns: MACKENNA'S GOLD, ACE HIGH (which was the 3rd Italian western I saw) and THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY. Seeing GBU in a Times Square theater for the first time with an enthusiastic audience was pretty amazing, esp. the big laugh Wallach got with "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." In early 1971, I caught up with THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN on a triple bill with its two sequels at the same theater where I saw GBU. Years later I caught his other Italian westerns on VHS--DON'T TURN THE OTHER CHEEK and THE WHITE, THE YELLOW AND THE BLACK (there's a reason we don't hear much about those). I met him once at a TV station I worked at and asked him about his "other" Italian westerns and he happily started telling me stories about them. I wish I'd written them down. Also, Wallach was the one who talked Henry Fonda into doing ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.

He was very funny in THE TIGER MAKES OUT (1967) and the Dean Martin comedy, HOW TO SAVE A MARRIAGE AND RUIN YOUR LIFE (1968), both with his wife Anne Jackson.

Those are the things I remember him most in.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
He played so many great parts, in films and on stage. I understand he liked the stage even most but yes, I will never forget his character in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. He made you sympathise with him.

A truly great actor, thanks mr. Wallach, we won't be able to forget you.
Rest In Peace!

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Calvera: "You came back ... to a place like this — why? A man like you — why?"

Tuco: "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!"

Two of my favorite westerns. I watched TGTBATU a couple of weeks ago, I think I'll watch Magnificent Seven this weekend as a tribute to Eli.

98 years old! Hey we should be so lucky.

R.I.P.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Grimm Reaper to Tuco: "when you have to shoot SHOOT...don't talk..."

RIP to an awesome actor. When he and Blondie are riding away from the church, Tuco smiles wide and the music swells ... one of my favorite movie moments in my movie fan history. Just LOVE that.. he nailed it perfect, in fact that whole scene at the church was incredible.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Catch his film debut in Kazan's BABY DOLL and watch him seduce Carrol Baker. You'll understand why the Catholic church condemned the film. Their scenes together are hot!
He also won a Tony for the lead in the first production of The Rose Tattoo.
Talented and loved by many. RIP.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
beyond the obvious, TGTBTU , he was wonderful in The Holiday and steals every scene that he is in, for those of us that are patiently waiting, hopfuly soon we will be seeing some of his work that has not been available. His turn as Mr. Freeze in Adam West 60's Batman.
prayers for his family and friends, RIP

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I wish that the recent 4K remaster of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly had had the original mono rather than the downmixes crap so I could watch it in tribute to him. Sigh. A curse upon you, Fox. Seriously, how stupid do you think the fans are? The definitive movie of the genre has no definitive release :(. Anyway, RIP, his colorful villain in The Magnificent Seven is one of the most fun screen heavies ever, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks