What's new

Details Indiana Jones Trilogy (2 Viewers)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Yes...i was referring to the teaser for TOD when i said 2.

Each movie will of course have a TON of commercials. That's not a big deal...and i'm not concerned with the number as who knows how many were created.

But thanks for the information about both specials! Now I remember the Nova! Never heard about the other tho!

Have to track down copies! :) Anyone have em?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
This still looks like a "Lucas" in the making...

Dangle in front of them some candy and they'll take it (so will I, but I'm a sucker for the first two films). It doesn't matter how much effort we put into it (not too much by the look of things). Promote Indy 4 in the set to get the fans salivating.

Release Indy 4

Release a bare bones Indy 4 on DVD

Release a four movie super deluxe set with DTS and two or more discs of extras including documentaries.

This is what Lucas has been doing to Star Wars ever since home video was a twinkle in movie executives' eyes:

Milk the cow; milk it 'til it's bone dry. And he ain't about to stop now.

Dan

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Considering DVD has been out for over six years now, we only have two Star Wars DVDs from Lucas; not too much milking here.

I want the best quality transfer possible with the best DD 5.1 track and I will be perfectly happy.

I won't lose sleep over lack of extras; however, I am not against them.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"I won't lose sleep over lack of extras; however, I am not against them."

Agreed. While it is hard for me to understand how someone could actually be "against" extras (Don't like 'em? Then don't watch 'em) I personally couldn't care less whether there are extras or not, because the extras aren't going to stand the test of time, the movie is. I care about the movie itself, not stuff ABOUT the movie.

Like Dave H, my priority is the best possible transfer and the best possible sound (for me, that usually means DTS).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
For films this big and with this long a wait I find it quite frustrating, but I already vented about that when we first got rumored details.

Yay for the films, but I will be muttering "stupid Lucas" as I go through the extras in 2 hours flat.

Just think about the kind of extras we could have on both Star Wars and Raiders DVDs if only he would stop tinkering with films that are already done. That alone would seem to free up a lot of time you would think.

Oh well, this set is an auto-buy anyway and will get played to death.

Carl C

Stunt Coordinator
Yay for the films, but I will be muttering "stupid Lucas" as I go through the extras in 2 hours flat.
Then you may be cursing the wrong culprit. Word has it that Spielberg is the one who already nixed the idea of Audio Commentary and may have also vetoed Deleted Scenes and a Gag Reel on the DVD.

Whatever the case is, simply laying blame (or credit) at the feet of George Lucas when it comes to the INDY DVD set would be irrational. There are three camps with equal stakes in this:

1) Lucasfilm (mostly involving ILM/THX, with more of it being driven by Jim Ward and his marketing team)...

2) Steven Spielberg (who has been directly involved with this set), and...

3) Paramount (who doesn't ever seem to get enough credit when it comes to INDY stuff).

This is much different than the "Star Wars" DVDs, which Lucas has much more direct influence and control over.

I mean, think about it... Look at the Bonus Materials (and types thereof) on this set and who produced it (Laurent Bouzereau) and then ask yourself if this DVD appears to come from the Lucas mold and/or if Spielberg perhaps has much more to do with it now that Lucas is off working on EP3.

Real Name
Anthony
Man, that pisses me off ! I'd love to see that 50 minute TOD doc and I never will. They'll take extracts from it and stick it in the doc but seeing as everyone (inc. Spielberg) seems to be really down on TOD it'll probably be neglected
for wussy LAST CRUSADE ! :angry:
And get this - in the UK, they've cut TOD so we don't get to see Baldy rip out the heart !! :angry: :angry:
Sod them !

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I personally couldn't care less whether there are extras or not, because the extras aren't going to stand the test of time, the movie is. I care about the movie itself, not stuff ABOUT the movie.
I agree that the movie is more important than the extras. But when there are so many documentaries already produced, there's no good reason NOT to include them. Since it's only a four disc set, they probably won't have room.

Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I agree, and I think this "it's the movie that counts" stuff is pretty disingenuous. OBVIOUSLY it's the movie that counts. If they'd announced an Indiana Jones boxset without the movies, I think there'd be a lot more complaints than the ones posted here. So that's a no-brainer.
And I'd rather a good transfer of a movie than a cruddy one with a quickie doc stuck on the end. Again, this is obvious.
Many extras are pathetic and redundant.
But I view my DVD collection as a library and an archive, and GOOD documentaries and GOOD commentaries, and footage of cinematic masters at work are just as valuable as film of Picasso or Dali at work. Yes the paintings are the most important thing ; but all the rest is documentation and history.
Given that we're all on this forum because we believe film to be an important art form, I wouldn't have thought anyone would need convincing of that.

Brenton

Screenwriter

Do you really think Lucas is the one responsible for no DTS? I doubt it. If Spielberg wanted DTS on there, nothing Lucas could say or do would stop him.

Besides, if the DD is as good on this as it has been on the two Star Wars prequels, why even complain about no DTS?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Simple because DD tracks typically are not as good as DTS. Lucas is a die hard Dolby supporter so who knows what happened behind the scenes? Speilburg should have steped up to the plate and stated that this release would be in DTS! Star Wars would have been better if Lucas would have included DTS! IMHO the sound in the two SW prequels could have been better. Lucas in my opinion made an error in backing DD and making it the only choice. And if Lucas played a big enough part in the making of Indiana Jones then he could exert enough influance in the release of the dvd. Some executives treat Lucas like he is a god. Lucas has good intentions but most of the drive behind his choices and attitude is not about improving movies for the general public. But making his wallet big and fat, money is the driving factor! Granted we all want to make money but Lucas has his own agenda and the best sound is not it!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Here are two more listings from the BBFC.

"Making of the Indiana Jones Trilogy- Part 2 - Temple of Doom" 41m 6s
"Making of the Indiana Jones Trilogy- Part 3 - Last Crusade" 35m 0s

John Simon

Second Unit

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Now I'm getting excited for this set!

Real Name
Anthony
Also from the BBFC -
Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark 50.47
Raiders of the Lost Ark promo 9.33

Splitting the doc into a segment for each film bodes well, I think. As long as there's non-stop use of the footage from those documentaries mentioned, and not too many long talking-heads shots, it should do the trilogy justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks