What's new

Details Indiana Jones Trilogy (2 Viewers)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
There are sooo many threads about the Indiana Jones DVD's that it's almost impossible to find accurate information. I would like to know a little more about any alterations being made, and the only thing that I have been able to find out for sure is that the snake's reflection in the glass is being removed. Speilberg has said that it's the only "alteration" being made. But I also seem to remember him saying earlier that quite a few effects shots were going to be fixed througout the trilogy. I was thinking that he didn't classify these fixes as "alterations", and that's why he didn't mention them. I wouldn't classify them as alteration either. They are just part of the editing process. I'm asking because I want anything that doesn't hold up visually to be fixed if possible.

I'd like to address one more thing. Many of us here talk about movies being censored by the Studios/Directors. A Director cannot censor his own film. It is also NOT censorship for Disney to release a flim with part of it edited/removed. Censorship is when the Goverment makes a law that something is prohibited from being shown. And the first amendment says "Congress shall make no law". When a studio makes a decision, that is just a private business making a business decision to sell or to not sell something that they own. I do not condone Lucas making changes to Star Wars, and then witholding the originals, as he has said he will. I really want the originals myself, and I think that it's a bad business decision to not put them out, but the fact of the matter is, they are his films. It is his right to release them as he sees fit. AND it is not censorship to cut part of it out, or add somthing to it. Let's call it what it is: A business decision. Pure and simple.

To qoute my favorite radio personality:

We're losing the language. This effort to define censorship as what takes place in the free market is an effort to get people thinking that it happens in the free market and not when government does it, and that government and the likes of the great protectors like John McCain are going to go along and protect everybody from censorship when they in fact are the ones engaging in it.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
While I agree that too many people overuse the word "censor," I disagree with your definition of the word. A government need not be involved in censorship.

"To Censor" means "To Delete," but censoring is done usually to remove materials which may be objectionable in some way, rather than a simple editorial deletion.

Anyone with authority over a work, or with authority over the area where a work is displayed, may censor - and that includes a director, studio, government...

I can censor myself by deleting expletives from a post before I click "submit." Of course, if I don't censor myself, an administrator may choose to do it for me. There is no government intervention in either case.

-Scott

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I'm just disappointed that there is no mention of any deleted scenes in that feature list. I hope they make the final discs.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark

I don't care!

I took my grand-daughter, who is fourteen years old, to Disneyland last Monday. We rode the Indiana Jones ride. It was awesome. However...

I was shocked...shocked...to learn that my grand-daughter had never seen the film! I believe she is the only fourteen-year-old in America (non-Amish) who had never seen this film. So...

I dusted off my old VHS tape of Raiders and played it on my 42" widescreen Tosh. I thought, "Heck, it's a small RPTV, so how bad could the picture be?" How bad?

Horrible! When the student closed her eyes during Indiana's class, I had to point out that her eyelids bore the words "Love You"! They were totally unreadable in the VHS tape!

The whole movie, of course, was so hideously presented by VHS that I could hardly bear to watch it.

So...I don't care...

...if the DVD has a commentary or not
...if the DVD has a bunch of deleted scenes or not
...if the DVD has DTS or not
...if the DVD is the Ultimate DVD of all time!

I just want this movie on DVD!

November cannot come quickly enough!

Jan

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Why on earth?

She's only with us for 3 weeks, and I felt that this pitiful lack in her education needed to be remedied immediately!

I didn't remember the VHS quality being so poor. I've already pruned my VHS collection substantially, but I may have to give the surviving tapes a second look. :)

Jan

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Dan Hitchman,

I'm takin' off my coat. Fists are up. Put 'em up, fella, put 'em up! How dare you think I would foist a pan-and-scan copy of Raiders on an impressionable youngster! Of course it was letterboxed!

:D

Jan

CraigL

Screenwriter
Some more information:

Bonus Disc:
Total running time: 3hrs 8min 10sec

(3) Trailers
- Raiders of the lost ark
Teaser : DD English 2.0 surround, 1.85:1
Theatrical Trailer : DD English 5.1 surround, 1.85:1
Re-issue Trailer : DD English 2.0 surround, 1.85:1

- The temple of doom
Theatrical Trailer : DD English 5.1 surround, 1.85:1

- The Last cursade
Teaser : DD English 2.0 surround, 1.85:1
Theatrical Trailer : DD English 2.0 surround, 1.85:1
The Emperor's Tomb

-Game review : DD English 2.0 surround, Full frame

Galen_V

Second Unit
You can see the full disc art (albeit the quality is poor) here.

More pictures from the press packet are under an entry dated August 7th here.

CraigL

Screenwriter
COMPLETE DETAILS:

* Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Audio / Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround
Running time / 1:55:09
Aspect Ratio / Anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen

* Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
Running time / 1:58:18

* Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
Running time / 2:06:44 widescreen

* Indiana Jones : Bonus Material
Audio / Dolby Digital English 2.0 Surround
Running time / 3:08:10
Aspect Ratio / Full frame (4X3)

(1) Making of Trilogy
- Raiders of the lost ark : DD English 2.0 surround, Full frame, 50min 49seconds

- The temple of doom : DD English 2.0 surround, Full frame, 41min 7sec

- The last crusade : DD English 2.0 surround, Full frame, 35min 02sec

(2) Featurettes
- The stunts of Indiana Jones : DD English 2.0 surround, Full frame, 10min 56sec

- The sound of Indiana Jones : DD English 2.0 surround, Full frame, 13min 20sec

- The music of Indiana Jones : DD English 2.0 surround, Full frame, 12min 23sec

- The light and magic of Indiana Jones : DD English 2.0 surround, Full frame, 12min 20sec

(3) Trailers
- Raiders of the lost ark
Teaser : DD English 2.0 surround, 1.85:1, 1min 4sec
Theatrical Trailer : DD English 5.1 surround, 1.85:1, 2min 34sec
Re-issue Trailer : DD English 2.0 surround, 1.85:1, 1min 40sec

- The temple of doom
Theatrical Trailer : DD English 5.1 surround, 1.85:1, 1min 26sec

- The Last crusade
Teaser : DD English 2.0 surround, 1.85:1, 1min 29sec
Theatrical Trailer : DD English 2.0 surround, 1.85:1, 2min 13sec

The Emperor's Tomb
-Game review : DD English 2.0 surround, Full frame, 1min 47sec

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
There's a really short teaser for Temple of Doom I have on 35mm, surprising that they didn't include it in the set, or maybe they will. The teaser for Crusade is great, showing the filming of the movie.

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Paramount obviously knows that people are buying this no matter what. It is a shame when you compare what Fox is doing with Aliens to the very minimal effort being made by Paramount on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks