What's new

David Lynch's DUNE--new DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Yeah, the local Wal-Mart was either "sold" out or they pulled it...my scheme didn't work...they're the only store around here that was selling it (not that there's a lot of stores that seriously sell DVD's). I was going for my third copy...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Given all the trouble with the danged DVD-18s, I'm glad I didn't buy immediately upon release -- I have the R2 version from Castle so I've already seen the Smithee version, and whilst I will get this one in due course, no hurry for now.

Sheesh, this'll be the fourth Dune DVD I buy: I have the R2 Smithee, the R2 SE from Sanctuary, and the R4 with DTS. And a widescreen VHS as well.

RonaldB

Auditioning
I agree that people should keep asking Universal to stop using DVD-18s, but for those of you who are planning to exchange your defective Dune DVD-18 through Universal doing so would be pointless unless:
(1) Universal sends you 2 DVD-9 discs (such as the ones they sent to Netflix).
or
(2) Universal sends you a DVD-18 made from another plant such as the one in Taiwan they sometimes use.

I worry that Universal may only send another DVD-18 from Mexico unless they have a special stash. That's why I'm still trying to decide what to do.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Here's the text of an email I intend to send to Universal. Is there anything I've missed that should be mentioned?

To Whom It May Concern:

I recently purchased the Dune Collector's Edition and it is defective. I happened across a thread at the Home Theater Forum that discusses the defect. Please issue a return mailer so that I can send in the defective DVD for a replacement. I'd like to request 2 DVD-9s such as you sent to Netflix for their rental service. If possible I'd also like a replacement case that can house two DVDs.

1. Nature of defect: FREEZES
2. Chapter & Time code where defect occurs: SIDE B, 1 hour, 50 minute mark & Special Features.
3. Manufacturer and model number of your player: Denon DV-1900, ILO DVD recorder
4. Daytime telephone number:
5. Shipping address:

The thread at Hometheaterforum includes a discussion about the many defective DVDs released from Universal Home Video and the common denominator is that all the defective discs are double sided DVD-18s manufactured in Mexico. I would like to voice my opinion that double sided DVD-18s are problematic and frustrating to the consumer. They tend to easily scratch and quickly become unplayable. I would ask you to kindly reconsider your policy regarding special edition DVDs being released on double sided DVD-18s. I have well over 200 DVDs in my collection and prefer 2 disc special edition packages to single disc double sided special editions. Fox, Warner Bros, Disney, New Line, Paramount, and Dreamworks have all released wonderful 2 disc SEs and they have lasted many years.

Thank you for your attention to this problem and for your consideration of my suggestion.

Doug Irving

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Looks good, Doug. I would add the URL of this thread and recommend the CSR read the forum from latest post on back to see all the posts from buyers complaining about the issues you mention.

mikey ra

Stunt Coordinator
Question:

I didn't have any problems playing either version of Dune DVD-18 disc on my player (same with the Frighteners disc recently released).

If the disc plays fine, does that mean its okay or do I need to be worried about a delamination (i.e. "Rot") issue sometime in the future?

Just curious as to everyone's opinions.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

I can't speak for "DUNE" but I have had one DVD ("Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" S.E.) that "froze" and "skipped". I got an exchange and played it straight away. It played fine! Then 2 days ago I tried to play it again and it "froze" and "skipped" like my earlier copy did. Same player as well. So I think, if a disc is dodgy (which these "DUNE" ones obviously are) I think the problem "could" be a problem in the future even if it does, miraculously, play fine now. What do others think?

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
So I'm in the good luck/bad luck position where both versions of the movie played through flawlessly, but the special features froze up in multiple places. On the one hand, I don't want to exchange a disc on which the movie plays fine just to get to the special features and maybe end up with a replacement where the movie breaks up, but on the other hand, I know the disc is defective because the special features don't work, so I could have problems with the movie down the line on a different player or with some just plain bad luck.

What to do, what to do?

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I didn't have any problems playing either version of the Dune DVD-18 disc on my Sony DVD player including the Special Features portions. I would be frustrated to if that happened. Why on earth can't Universal recognize, fix or replace any of the defective products they have released?

1. Jurassic Park DTS audio error
2. Back To The Future discs 2&3 picture cropping and audio glitches
3. DVD-18s freezing and locking up.

Am I forgetting some in the list above?

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

I tell you what to do....

Complain to Universal Home Video. They are the ones responsible for this horrendous mess!

I think the e-mail address for universal:

universalstudios&[email protected]

Until they are aware of these problems and that consumers are NOT putting up with it they will keep shortchanging us.

Please DO complain. It's the only way they will do anything.

RonaldB

Auditioning
Once someone finds out what Universal will be sending as a replacement for the Dune EE, please post. Unless people start to receive 2 DVD-9s or a DVD-18 that's not from Mexico, I won't bother contacting Universal. Since I can't wait beyond 30 days for my return, I've decided I will try to get a refund and wait for Universal to resolve this.

From now on I will not buy any DVD-18 which says Made in Mexico on the box (hopefully studios won't drop that info from the back of cases in the future).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

I don't think that's the address. I think spamming a marketing firm's email address (or any address, for that matter) with complaints will not register a complaint. I did not hear back from the PR firm that I emailed. So, a nice, written letter, mailed via snail mail, might make more of an impression. There is probably a physical street address or PO Box somewhere we could find.

People tend to ignore email that come in quantities--it is too easy to filter and automatically trash. A stack of letters will make a better impression.

- Steve

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have gone ahead and ordered a copy to be imported into the UK. Can't wait any longer !

Would the freezing occur at any particular points on both sides or is it going to be totally random ?

Ive never knowingly had to check a disc from start to finish before. Its going to take a while.

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator

I got a bad copy, seems to freeze at the layer change and the second layer is unplayable. Does the same on both sides :angry:

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I purchased my disc from Best Buy in Worcester, MA. I watched the extended cut today without incident on my Malata 524 player.

I've not yet watched the theatrical cut or any of the extras so there's a chance it could still "lock up".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks