What's new

David Lynch's DUNE--new DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious about the quality of the new R1 Special Edition theatrical cut versus the previous R1 release theatrical cut. Is it the exact same transfer? Can I get rid of my old Dune disc and just buy this set, or should I keep the old R1 disc because it's better?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
You know what rocks? I got to see this film in HD on HD movies or HD Net or something. It looked awesome. My favorite part is the electric guitar that comes in when the worm ride is successful.

I've always loved this movie. :)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Mikah: I was going to ask the same question, until I remembered the new theatrical cut is anamorphic, and the previous release wasn't. That's enough reason to spring IMO.

I am one of those people who saw this film when initially released and was appalled by the perversion of Paul's character, a veritable inversion from the first book but possibly more like Paul as he became in the later books. Anyway, subsequent home viewings have tempered my opinion a lot, it doesn't bother me now...I remember being furious at the time. It's just a story after all. But really, giving a complicated story to Lynch is just asking for trouble, it's not like he's going to make it *more* accessible to the general public. He requires a certain investment that most aren't willing to make for "just" a movie.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and , Mikah, if you are a completist type, you might want to hang on to your copy of the old Dune because it has the trailer for the film. The new version omits that.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Mikah,

this is a whole new HD film-digital transfer and outshines the previous R1 DVD in every regard (that was an old laserdisc-master ported over for DVD).

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Bugger! My new Region 1 locks-up and dies on the "Extended Version". Damn these Universal DVD-18's!!!!

So.... after this "botched" Region 1 version... what is the BEST version to go for?

The French Ultimate Edition right ???

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Would someone please post the bar code on the R1 disc?
I guess it was only on the shrink wrap and I don't have that now.
Thanks.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks Vincent.
Movie Collector had decided I owned the LD when I just used the title.
I know I saved that little paper backing, but I think it's out in the car, in the dark, in the night. If any thing happened, no one would even hear me scream I'm so far from town.

derek

Second Unit
My copy froze a bit then skipped a few seconds ahead at the scene where Usul gets ready to ride the sandworm (extended edition on my LG player.)

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
No problems on my UK Pioneer VSX-D100 or my Pioneer DVR-420H.

My ISBN is also 025192124228.
And the disk says made in Mexico.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well, my JVC unit skipped around a bit just as Paul & Duke Leto were inspecting spice operations. The skipping occured just as they were trying to evacuate the spice miners. :frowning: Skipped past the scene of the worm rearing up and all...

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
UNIVERSAL SPEAKS!

I received the folliwng message today:

February 6, 2006

Dear Mr. Meyer,

Thank you for contacting Universal Studios Home Entertainment. We strive to provide the highest standard in product quality and customer care.

Please let us know your shipping address, and we will send you a prepaid envelope in which to return your "Dune, Extended Edition" DVD. In the envelope, please send the defective DVD only, along with a copy of this correspondence and the following information:

1. Nature of defect: FREEZES
2. Chapter & Time code where defect occurs: SIDE B, 1 hour, 50 minute mark & Special Features.
3. Manufacturer and model number of your player:
4. Daytime telephone number:
5. Shipping address:
6. Copy of your sales receipt

Please send only the item to be replaced, and allow 3 - 6 weeks to receive your replacement.

We appreciate your patronage and hope that you will continue to enjoy "Dune" and future Universal releases.

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Holy cow, the Alan Smithee version is really, really, really, horrible I couldn't stand to watch 35 minutes of it. Who really did it?

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Brett,

That's something, but they still need to stop it with DVD-18s. Plus, when Star Wars: A New Hope had skipping issues, FOX would just send you a new disk via UPS, and all you had to do was call them up, too. They would send the replacement without even asking you to send the defective one. Universal still has a long way to go.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if Universal would send replacements overseas.

Somehow I doubt it.

I've waited so long for Dune on DVD. I know there has been several other great releases, but I have been waiting for this one ever since it was announced (and delayed). Im still using my TV taping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks