What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Copyright Laws (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Thanks guys!

Joe, thanks for all of the information. I really appreciate it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I went to Kuberts School of Cartoon and Graphic Art and a instructor told us to do the Poor Mans registration.

I have no idea how it would hold up in court.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
On its own, not very well, as there are too many arguments on how to tamper with the contents to make it 100% reliable. All these registrations and other forms of "protection" give you is more evidence should you need it. Although you may be able to deter some with threats of litigation, copyright infringement is worldwide, and if you are dealing with foreign jurisdictions (as I am), the cost of litigating becomes astronomical, and there are many countries that don't recognise copyright in the first place.

As for script shopping, I have no experience in this, but I can only assume the parallels to the music industry will require an agent on your behalf if you are looking to reach the majors. If the script doesn't require a multimillion dollar budget, there are independent filmmaker's groups that might be a possibility. Actor/screenwriter Jon Jacobs has produced/released a number of indie films through Zero Pictures, although I don't know if that group is still going or not. Depending on the material, something like that might be an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks