What's new

A Few Words About Coming in November on HD-DVD... (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mutiny on the Bounty was not photographed in Super Panavision.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It'll be hard not buying that Collector's Tin for FP in November because it just looks sweet. But I'd rather the film on a HD Format. Are we definately getting
it in November.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Someone over at the HD-DVD camp is actually thinking. By releasing a lot of the classics they are winning over the true cinema buffs and building a loyal following. Additionally they are driving HD-DVD sales higher using this strategy. How many early adopters would re-purchase average movies they already have on SD for the HD version. I would guess not many. Feed us the classics and we will snap them up!

I am really looking forward to purchasing these titles and many more classics from the studios that decide to publish them.

Laters,
Jeff

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

I agree they have created a loyal following. I love this release strategy and am supporting it as best I can. I only wish marketplace realities were different and the "masses" appreciated and actively looked forward to releases such as these. I fear that is not the case.

At any rate, I will be happy with niche acceptance as long as the format can be sustained.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I actually think the "masses" do appreciate and look forward to these releases. With my friends, none of which have my love of films, the most exciting films to them are old classics. Maybe it our age or maybe it is the fact that for almost 18 months, the film industry has produced almost no memorable films and the classics are looking that much better.

Or maybe it is just nostalgia on my part;) .

What ever the case, if they release 'em, I will buy 'em. Now for North by Northwest, To Kill a Mockingbird, Vertigo, It's a Wonderful Life, Camelot, West Side Story ..........

Thomas Eisenmann

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
Great news!!............so now what exact date(s) will these be released?.....( same days as the SD release? ) Because as of right now you can't pre-order these titles ( at least in the HD format ) anywhere.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

How do you respond to someone who thinks classic films are the longings of 'over 60' people, or why we collectors want these classics in the best quality they are available.

It is kind of like explaining what makes a collector of muscle cars drool over a 1965 Shelby GT 350, or a designer wanting piece of fine antique furniture, or a fine aged bottle of wine.............

They are classics because of the quality of the story, directing, acting, cinematography, editing etc.

There is more to movies than flashy special effects, color and fast paced action. One only needs to watch movies like 'To Kill a Mockingbird', Psycho (the original 1960 Alfred Hitchcock film, not the atrocious 1998 Gus Van Sant remake) , Orson Welles 'Touch of Evil' (Restored Version), 'Raging Bull' Etc. Etc. Etc. to understand the power black and white can have in the story telling.

I would rather see the release of these classics over 95 % of the current crap released in the theaters. They are collectibles that do not diminish after numerous viewings.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe
Bring on Forbidden Planet and Many more classics, my wallet is waiting for you. Anne Francis in HD I can't wait lol. :)

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Hmm, I already pre-ordered Forbidden Planet on SD-DVD. Guess I'll hold onto it for the extras and buy the HD-DVD too. :P

My HD-A1 player arrives on Thursday. Can't wait.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I'm in the same boat! However, almost all HD-DVD titles include the SD-DVD "extras" and I would be *shocked* if that were not the case here as well. I'm going to be *canceling* my SD-DVD pre-order (and that's a first for me)!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Did you order the Tin with the Robby Figure? I wish we could get an HD version of that.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'd much rather have classics in HD than current crap. Tomb Raider in HD is still Tomb Raider. Paris Hilton is still in the HD release of the remade House of Wax.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that Robby the Robot figure is making me regret cancelling my SD pre-order. Maybe we'll be lucky and find the statue on eBay!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I'm 23 years old and I agree with that 100%. It saddens me to think how my generation's movie memory starts with Star Wars and their TV memory starts with Seinfeld (not bashing them per se, just acknowledging the wealth of great movies and TV shows before then, which deserve to be on HD).

Too bad the 1953 House of Wax can't be in 3-D in HD.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Yeah, I ordered the tin. Even if the extras are all included on the HD-DVD, the SD-DVD collector's set is worth it for the Robby figure, movie poster, and lobby cards IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks