What's new

Can dust really do that? (1 Viewer)

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
Hey guys, Kinda new to the whole "more advanced" home theater society, so bear with me. Purchased an Onkyo Receiver with (as is usually the case) lots of vents along the top of it. About 2 days ago, my landlords went into my apartment and worked on my ceiling. When I got home, the entire place was covered in white dust from plaster on the ceiling, and I do mean COVERED. I argued that my equipment could be damaged etc. Just yesterday I got Braveheart/Gladiator - Sapphire series on Bluray and I don’t feel that the quality is at all up to par based on the very high reviews out there. One scene in particular that apparently got very high praise was the scene where he consummates his marriage on the first night; crisp blacks, halos, etc. This very same scene ironically is what made me panic, and check this forum to begin with. The quality on the scene almost looks like it’s filmed at low resolution off a cell phone (grainy, pixelated.) Is dust the main culprit here, or is it a bad Bluray transfer that was economized cuz of the double feature? Should I open, and air-can it? Leave it as is and air-can? Return movies? Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dust will impede the air flow over the components and while trapping in heat. It will not change the picture. You have a bargain basement Blu-ray. They had to save money someplace and it looks like it is picture quality.

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
Wow! @_@ You really think that's it, eh? The reviews were crystal clear in stating that the Blu ray version included in the double feature were the same exact ones found in the individual copies. I found it very VERY hard to believe, I'll admit, considering theyre each well over that price individually. They are in fact separate in their own cases, double discs etc., and have the Sapphire Series logos on them. Can anyone else who purchased the same deal confirm this if possible? Thanks Robert. Relieved.. ... kinda.

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
The BluRay player is a Panasonic DMP BDT-210 being ran via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (part of HTS 7300 set) I believe the receiver is an HTR680. All other Blurays so far run perfectly.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by krixx

I'd be really ticked off and take pictures to document what happened in case any of your gear goes south. Like Robert says, receivers are subject to generating heat and need good ventilation. Heavy dust can cause excessive heat which might cause cumulative damage to your AVR's circuitry.

You might want to consider having it cleaned professionally (and it should be at your landlord's expense). You could open the case yourself and clean it with a can of compressed air...but I don't know how thorough that would be and if the gear is still under warranty.

Good luck.

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
Thanks Mike, The argument from their part states that the guy defo used a drop cloth "Cuz we gave him one" lol Giving one doesnt mean it was used. I did bring landlorld in to personally show him, and he goes: "Oh. damn.. youre right. He didnt use it...And your receiver was like that the whole time?..Ouch" (I'd already cleaned it at that point) Before I jump the gun here tho, I'm gonna fiddle with the wiring. MAYYYBE something's loose...Otherwise, I'm defo speakin to them. And yes. I'm still under warranty. Only second month owning it. Now. About my issue.. Seems i'm not the only one? One reviewer although giving the disc rave reviews did mention: -"but the only problem I saw was several dark scenes that had a "screen door" effect where it was as if you were watching through a screen door. One scene in particular is the love scene between Mel Gibson and his newly married bride. Very dark and you can clearly see the crosshair lines in the picture. Noticed it also in a few other dark scenes throughout the film.- In complete opposite. another says this!: -...the scene where Wallace and his wife consummate their marriage, with both characters outlined in a soft fill light against a black background, is one of the most beautiful and sharp images on the disc. You can see wisps of hair and dust caught in the light, truly exceptional clarity Like i said. Pretty new to this.. but..What can cause THIS much of a contrast? Thanks for any input/replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks