What's new

An 80/90s camcorder and a (huge) challenge for HTF members... (1 Viewer)

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
Take a look at these pics and no, I didn't leave this camcorder case opened in the kitchen and spilled flour all over it while I was baking...

cam06.png
cam02.png
cam05.png
cam04.png
cam03.png
cam01.png
cam07.png

This is my dad's old camcorder. He bought it in 1989 and we might have used it until around 1996. It was always handled with care and stored in its original case. As it seems to happen with any technology that served us for a few good years back in the "analogue era," my family never really had the heart to part ways with it, so it was left in a closet. When we retrieved it and opened its case about 2 months ago, damn... we were shocked. Clearly the white stuff is mold.

Before opening the case I had been considered selling it on eBay because there's always a chance I may find a collector or someone in need of an old camera to use as a prop. After assessing its current shape, I felt like sending it to any project that recycles e-waste. However I do sometimes enjoy a restoration project. Mold is enough of a reason, for most people, to turn down a "cleaning challenge" like this one and that is understandable. When I found some old moldy VHS tapes, 98% of people I spoke to told me to seek out professionals to clean the tapes. The mere mention of "mold" make most people run the other way. Since there was no one around me that offered such service, I embarked upon a quest to do it myself and after watching a few YT videos, I managed to rescue the tapes myself. But the mold in those tapes was minimal and nothing compared to the mold on this camcorder.

So here's what is perhaps one of the biggest challenges for HTF members: what would you do if you were in my place?

Yeah, it's really just a question thus not really a challenge - lol - but I'd love to hear your opinions.

On one hand I wanna clean it - as long as I don't have to spend money hiring someone for the job since it's not an item I plan on keeping or even using. I wanted to vacuum the mold and then do some wiping with isopropyl alcohol. But then I thought: what if some of the mold gets stuck to the vacuum hose? Cleaning it would be a hassle. We already have the habit of cleaning the vacuum hose/tube with running water to get some of the dust build up out every now and then though we know we can never get all of the dirty stuff out of it. So I dunno if we'd be able to get the "dusty mold" out of it with just running water.

On the other hand I just wanna recycle this equipment and forget about it. But I know that things aren't born trash. We turn them into trash. This camera was awesome and served us well for many years. I know it's strange to hear me say that since the original plan was part ways with it, but even if I send it to recycling, I'd like it to be in better shape.

So... how would you deal with this Spring cleaning project?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
On the other hand I just wanna recycle this equipment and forget about it. But I know that things aren't born trash. We turn them into trash. This camera was awesome and served us well for many years. I know it's strange to hear me say that since the original plan was part ways with it, but even if I send it to recycling, I'd like it to be in better shape.

So... how would you deal with this Spring cleaning project?
Personally, I would just scrap the camcorder as is. After all, it's not as if you are ever going to use it again, as VHS is a dead, low-quality format. For me, it's not the equipment that holds sentimental value -- it's the images it created that are sentimental.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks