What's new

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Boxed Set (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I agree. I loved the first three seasons too, but it was the Buffy of season 6 that I really was "you know, I can identify with these characters sometimes". I thought season 6 successfully transitioned the characters to adulthood.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

actually, I think there's a lot of mixed feelings on OMWF, I love the episode too (seriously tho, even when it comes to "bad episodes", you think it's worse than I Robot You Jane, Beer Bad or some of the mid-season 7 episodes?) but it is one of the top vote-getters the show has on Jump The Shark.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear from a Buffy fan that didn't like OMWF. It's just incomprehensible to me right now. :) But, I am capable of being enlightened... as long as the phrase "jump the shark" is nowhere around.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
In my and many people I know's opinions the musical is brilliant. I an amazed at how much work everyone did and how well it came off. It also in one episode got to the core of every single character and exposed all their secrets and fears to the whole gang.

But just my 2 cents.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
As was stated by others above, Josh, I just don't like my action show turning into a musical...and not just because I don't like musicals. I know Joss Whedon did it as a change of pace story, but it was a disaster. I'll amend what I said earlier to add that OMWF ties for all-time worst episode with "Superstar", which even changed the opening credits to put Jonathan into the spotlight! :thumbsdown:

That isn't to say I don't like off-format stories. "Hush" in the 4th season was brilliant, but nothing came close to that level afterward.

JEFF (never mind the "#") :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jeff!

Wow. I actually LOVED "Superstar". Thought it was hilarious.
Ok, that ep. might be up for debate but I think the vast majority of Buffy fans and virtually all the TV critics thought that the musical was fab. It might not be your thing but it still was extremely well made, hardly a "disaster". You admit that you don't like musicals so I can understand you not digging it but I got my sister and my fiancee into Buffy by showing them the musical ep. They have both done musicals and realize how much work went into that single epsiode especially when you consider that aside from Giles and Spike, none of them had ever really done that stuff before.

but what do I know...?

:)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Even if I didn't like the musical, which I do, I'd be hard-pressed to call it a bad episode. It is obviously well-paced, structured, and shot. I don't "like" the episode The Body, and I think it sort of took the show off track with the whole Buffy as mom plotline that sucked all the joy and humor out of her character, but even so, I can tell it's very well made and effective.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I agree with the opinion that there's a difference between "I don't like it" and "it's a bad episode".

To me, a "bad" episode is "Beer Bad", the concept was preposterous, the execution was unintentionally campy, and all in all, it's not exactly remembered as a classic episode. You honestly think the execution for OMWF was worse than Beer Bad's?

Shows like OMWF, Hush, The Body and the sort may polarize fans, but all in all, they were brilliant concepts regardless if you loved the execution or just thought it was okay.

Josh-F

Auditioning

How come nobody gets "Beer Bad?"

Unintentionally campy? Are you serious? I assure you that every bit of camp in that episode is purely intentional. That episode is obviously a clever satire of after-school specials in which alcohol seemingly turns people into cave-people. In this instance, people took it as the thing it was satirizing rather than what it actually was. This is more evident in the end of the episode than in any other part. In a normal after-school special the kids would ask themselves what they learned today and they would say how bad beer is and how they shouldn't drink anymore. Instead, we get Joel C's sig:

Xander: And was there a lesson in all this, huh? What did we learn about beer?

Buffy: Foamy.

Xander: Good, just as long as that's clear.

It completes undercuts the whole thing and tells us what that episode is really about. Just look at the title for god-sakes! The whole episode is a joke!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I enjoyed "Beer Bad." What's more entertaining than SMG acting like a primate? :)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I dont think it was her Mother's death that sucked the humor out of her, it was the bad writing.

Love OMWF by the way. I dont really see how anyone can dislike it either.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
"Beer Bad" is a lot of fun. Whereas "Wrecked," one of the true candidates for Worst Episode Ever, is a genuinely crappy piece of after-school special writing. This review is the definitive takedown of "Wrecked," though there are a few episodes from seasons 5 through 7 that compete with it in the Worst Ever category. (Not "Doublemeat Palace," though; that was good, and one of the few season 6 episodes about a realistic problem -- getting a go-nowhere job -- instead of silly soapy problems.)

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

OK. I'll bite. (Well, I didn't necessarily like "Wrecked," as I kinda have to agree with that linked review.)

The Worst Episode Ever of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was ... (envelope please) ...

"WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE."

Just dumb.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
I have never watched Buffy but through so many recommendations and the incredible DDD sale, I purchases all 7 seasons site unseen.

Is there a Companion Guide that people would recommend that I could find at a book store or on Amazon that is pretty good about not giving away spoilers for future episodes?

This one looked interesting

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/075...books&v=glance

Andy

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

I would recommend watching all episodes, in order, without reading any guides. With the exception of shows that are presented out of proper order and/or with serious continuity issues, it's the best way to watch a new series. Why spoil any surprises???

If you think you might be interested in "Angel" by the end of season three of "Buffy", then start alternating shows - Buffy first, then Angel - starting with season 4 of Buffy. This will maintain continuity on the crossover episodes and in-jokes.

Also, don't view extras or listen to commentaries until you've completed the entire series - there are spoilers given that affect LATER seasons.

I once attempted to figure out a way to "fast track" someone into Buffy, by figuring out which episodes could be skipped. The thing is, even the episodes that are not so well regarded in the early seasons have important character-building scenes, or have hints of things to come.

-Scott

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I have an on-topic, yet off-topic question at the same time.

As we all know, Joss was the creator of Buffy, before Buffy, he was head writer of Roseanne during the second season. I received my review copy of Roseanne s2 yesterday (and yes, it's unedited) and during the second year, there is a "musical" episode of Roseanne. I was just curious if Joss had anything to do with that as well, considering we know what a labor of love Once More With Feeling was for him.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Hmmm... isn't there something in the commentary for OMWF about Buffy being his first attempt at a musical?

It's been a while since I listened, so I may be wrong. It may be worth checking.

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks