What's new

Bought a new house, need speaker advice! (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The other thing you can do is plug the port with foam (or an old sock). That would increase your possible choices. Personally, I don't care for sealed box speakers but maybe I've never really given them a chance. Here's are a couple of examples of a pretty good dual-driver bookshelf speakers. http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22-bookshelf-speakers#t-2 http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html Polk LSi9's would be another great choice. Polk sells refurbished examples on their Ebay store for $450-$500 a pair. But the matching center doesn't seem to be available anymore and they can be hard to find on the used market. But one of the better center channels I've heard. I guess you to need to find the center that will fit your space first, then choose the fronts from the same brand/series. What is the surround speaker placement situation? With a $2500 budget expect to spend $500-$750 on the subwoofer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is this $2500 supposed to include the AVR...or for the 5.1? Or is it just for the 5.0? I created a cart at Axiom for $2169...that would rock. Axiom M50, M3, VP150 and EP175. (the VP150 is a tremendously wide...and tremendously good, center) That would drop about $400 by choosing the EP125 sub and VP100. http://www.axiomaudio.com/vp150-center-channel-speaker#t-3 (27.5" wide)

hock20

Grip
Real Name
steve
gene c said:
The other thing you can do is plug the port with foam (or an old sock). That would increase your possible choices. Personally, I don't care for sealed box speakers but maybe I've never really given them a chance. Here's are a couple of examples of a pretty good dual-driver bookshelf speakers. http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22-bookshelf-speakers#t-2 http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html Polk LSi9's would be another great choice. Polk sells refurbished examples on their Ebay store for $450-$500 a pair. But the matching center doesn't seem to be available anymore and they can be hard to find on the used market. But one of the better center channels I've heard. I guess you to need to find the center that will fit your space first, then choose the fronts from the same brand/series. What is the surround speaker placement situation? With a $2500 budget expect to spend $500-$750 on the subwoofer.
I will check out both of those sets better, I can spend more if needed. The surrounds will go in the ceiling behind the couch. It's all pre-wired up there. I will probably place the center channel in the top section.

hock20

Grip
Real Name
steve
schan1269 said:
Is this $2500 supposed to include the AVR...or for the 5.1? Or is it just for the 5.0? I created a cart at Axiom for $2169...that would rock. Axiom M50, M3, VP150 and EP175. (the VP150 is a tremendously wide...and tremendously good, center) That would drop about $400 by choosing the EP125 sub and VP100. http://www.axiomaudio.com/vp150-center-channel-speaker#t-3 (27.5" wide)
It can be $2500 before the AVR, and I would like 5.1. Axiom looks great, I was looking at the Epic Grand Master 350 setup, what do you think: http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic-grand-master-350-home-theater-system#

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I, personally, am not a fan of bi/di-pole speakers*...but that is just me. That is the only change I'd make...replace the QS8 with another pair of M22. * I set up my theatres based on SACD/DVD-A listening first...DTS/DD 2nd.

hock20

Grip
Real Name
steve
schan1269 said:
I, personally, am not a fan of bi/di-pole speakers*...but that is just me. That is the only change I'd make...replace the QS8 with another pair of M22. * I set up my theatres based on SACD/DVD-A listening first...DTS/DD 2nd.
Ok I can maybe talk with them to see what the options are. Is it going to be an issue having a rear port on the speakers in the enclosed area? Also I see you recommended the floor standing speakers in your previous post. Isn't that going to be weird elevated off the ground?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is it going to be an issue having a rear port on the speakers in the enclosed area? The towers I chose are front ported, one of the reasons I chose them...size to fit and front port. The M22 is small enough it won't make any difference. Also I see you recommended the floor standing speakers in your previous post. Isn't that going to be weird elevated off the ground? I doubt it. If it is, you can slightly tip them forward.

hock20

Grip
Real Name
steve
schan1269 said:
Is it going to be an issue having a rear port on the speakers in the enclosed area? The towers I chose are front ported, one of the reasons I chose them...size to fit and front port. The M22 is small enough it won't make any difference. Also I see you recommended the floor standing speakers in your previous post. Isn't that going to be weird elevated off the ground? I doubt it. If it is, you can slightly tip them forward.
Great, I see the front port on the M50's. I have never seen floorstanding speakers elevated, that's why I'm so skeptical about it. I wonder if anyone here has done something similar.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Polk has a replacement LSiM series but they are very expensive. Putting the center above the display lowers the concern about the fronts being too high. After-all, the center will be up there too. Ideally you want the frons and center be as near the same height as possible. But that's pretty hard for most people to do. High fronts and a low center might not sound very cohesive but putting the center above the display will equalize their heights a bit better. But still, all those speakers are going to be up there pretty high. Maybe place some other speakers you have laying around in the positions you're considering and see if it sounds O.K. to you before you make your final purchase. Axiom doesn't offer in-ceiling speakers but they do have in-walls. http://www.axiomaudio.com/in-wall-on-wall-speakers

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Look how tall some of these speakers are...and then ask if it matters if you put a tower on a stand... http://www.davidsaudio.com/html/infinity_.html Also, these aren't much shorter than the M50...not counting the stand. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-High-End-Floor-Speakers-With-Built-In-Floor-Stands-KEF-Made-In-England-/221180988600?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item337f6a0cb8

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It depends on the indinvidual. Just because they make tall speakers doesn't mean they would appeal to me or someone else :) . One of the reasons I sold my Swan Diva 5.1's is because of their top mounted tweeters which were over 40" off the floor. For music it just didn't sound/seem right to me. And I sit about 16' from the screen. It looks to me that they will be quite a bit closer. But, their screen is also sitting on the same level as their speakers will be so again, maybe it won't be a problem. But maybe it will be. And tipping tower speakers or setting them up-side down isn't something I'd do either. Going with something like the M22 would give them the ability to adjust the height so they can get the best over-all sound possible. And it doesn't hurt to do a trial run if possible before they spend their money.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My inverted comment was slightly in jest. Although I have seen where a guy took his tower speakers and hung them from the ceiling..."feet up". He actually drilled bolts into the bottom of the speakers(took the woofer out and drilled holes). He did so because his screen(keep in mind why comes up later) comes down from the ceiling. An old 200" 4:3. The screen was AT and the speakers were places where the screen would cover them when down. This is in a church where there was an organ pit with a set-in area. Hence no floor. His only choice(being a "new church" in an "old building") being that lots of donated stuff showed up. When the original pastor(I don't remember christian, Catholic, Lutheran) designed the pulpit(I don't even know if that is the right term) he walked up to it from the back stage. He essentially floated above the church organist and choir. All this in a building that darn near pre-dated electricity. The built in organ had long since fallen apart.

hock20

Grip
Real Name
steve
gene c said:
It depends on the indinvidual. Just because they make tall speakers doesn't mean they would appeal to me or someone else :) . One of the reasons I sold my Swan Diva 5.1's is because of their top mounted tweeters which were over 40" off the floor. For music it just didn't sound/seem right to me. And I sit about 16' from the screen. It looks to me that they will be quite a bit closer. But, their screen is also sitting on the same level as their speakers will be so again, maybe it won't be a problem. But maybe it will be. And tipping tower speakers or setting them up-side down isn't something I'd do either. Going with something like the M22 would give them the ability to adjust the height so they can get the best over-all sound possible. And it doesn't hurt to do a trial run if possible before they spend their money.
Very true, thank you for the great input. I think I will be going with the bookshelf M22's in front and for surround. I can't wait to try out these speakers, need to decide on a receiver now. Any opinions on that? Also will M22's be ok in the rear or should I go with something smaller since it's just surround?
schan1269 said:
My inverted comment was slightly in jest. Although I have seen where a guy took his tower speakers and hung them from the ceiling..."feet up". He actually drilled bolts into the bottom of the speakers(took the woofer out and drilled holes). He did so because his screen(keep in mind why comes up later) comes down from the ceiling. An old 200" 4:3. The screen was AT and the speakers were places where the screen would cover them when down. This is in a church where there was an organ pit with a set-in area. Hence no floor. His only choice(being a "new church" in an "old building") being that lots of donated stuff showed up. When the original pastor(I don't remember christian, Catholic, Lutheran) designed the pulpit(I don't even know if that is the right term) he walked up to it from the back stage. He essentially floated above the church organist and choir. All this in a building that darn near pre-dated electricity. The built in organ had long since fallen apart.
Very interesting, I guess there are ways to make it work but in all reality I think I will be very happy with some beefy bookshelf's and a 5.1 setup to go with my new TV.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no such this as "too big a surround". My smallest? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-S6-Speakers-audiophile-classics-/111005761113?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item19d8757e59 Widest? http://www.ebay.com/itm/DCM-Timeframe-TF-350-Stereo-Speakers-off-my-B-O-Bang-and-Olufsen-9300-/111006048729?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item19d879e1d9 Tallest (draw) http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-INFINITY-CRESCENDO-3007-TOWER-SPEAKERS-/170959834490?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item27ce000d7a BIC V820 (there was a pair on Fleabay yesterday) And yes...those 4 speakers are the SURROUNDS.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"I think I will be going with the bookshelf M22's in front and for surround. I can't wait to try out these speakers, need to decide on a receiver now. Any opinions on that? Also will M22's be ok in the rear or should I go with something smaller since it's just surround?" I think the M22's would be O.K. as surrounds but you could easily go with a smaller model. The money you save might be better used elsewhere (Harmony remote?, accessories? etc.?). Axiom speakers are 8 ohms and have very high SPL so just about any receiver would work well with them. I like Pioneers with the Advanced verion of MCACC because you get 6 equalizer presets which also remember individual volume settings. But each receiver has it's pluses and minuses. It really depends on which features you think will be used. And, as we've mentioned so many times before, Yamaha and Pioneer/Elite only allow one crossover setting for all speaker groups. This wouldn't pose a problem with what it looks like you're going to end up with but it's always worth mentioning. Newegg.com and ac4l.com seem to be the places to buy receivers right now.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
People rave about the Axiom bi-pole QS series. If you're using this set-up primarily for movies I'd try them out. Axiom has great return policy (30 days), so changing you mind won't be a problem. The difference between the M22 and M2 is "only" $200, so I'm not sure saving money is that much of a concern. That said, if this is mostly a movie set-up, I don't think you lose much going with the M2s (assuming you've rule out the QSs). If you'll also be using it for music, then splurge on the surround M22s. I definitely wouldn't go with the M3s, while nice in their own right, they definitely have a different sound than the M22s.

hock20

Grip
Real Name
steve
Well, I ended up getting this Klipsch Reference setup for free by trading for my small setup. The previous owners of the home were nice enough to give me what they had! Here is how it turned out, mounted speakers in the ceiling for surround and have a 12" sub in the back corner. Sounds awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks