What's new

Buying new speakers for first time in 10+ years and looking for suggestions (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Hi all, it's been years since I've been around these parts because work and family and life and etc. The last time I was buying speakers was for a small Brooklyn apartment where a pretty basic setup wound up doing the trick just fine. But I am now in a house with a proper living room and have been slowly upgrading pieces of the puzzle. The parts we bought when we first moved into the house a few years ago were a a Sony 55" XBR-55X700D, Denon AVR-S720W receiver and Sony UBP-X800M2 4K/Blu-Ray Disc Player. The reason I picked up that player is because many years ago, I used to collect SACD and DVD-Audio discs. I'd like to get back into that groove again, but I want to have speakers that will make it worthwhile. We do not watch a lot of big epic films, with a young one we tend to veer more towards cartoons and family fare, so in terms of functionality, sure I want TV and movies to sound really good, but I'd place high-res audio discs above those.

I'm looking to spend up to $1,000, I understand with this setup I am not going to have the best of the best, I just want something that'll take the system up a notch and enjoy my music in a bigger square footage. As far as a center channel speaker, the only issue I have is that I'm either going to need to mount it on the wall, or it has to be low profile enough to fit in our entertainment console unit, because we don't want to mount the TV on the wall and don't want the speaker sitting right in front blocking the TV. Also if they're available in some sort of wood finish as opposed to solid black, it'll go a long way in pleasing my wife.

If there's any important details I omitted please let me know, I appreciate the advice and ideas. I used to spend a lot of time around here especially during my college years and hope to be back more often.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Would a 2 channel system work OK for you? $1,000 would spread a lot further if you start now with 2 channels.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Would a 2 channel system work OK for you? $1,000 would spread a lot further if you start now with 2 channels.

I am open to ideas. I have a serviceable sub and I at least have rear speakers, I'd be OK with upgrading those down the road, but I'd love to get a better center though now even if it means going a little over budget if necessary.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Try the ELAC Debut 2.0 floor standers for $319.98 each.

And the ELAC Debut 2.0 center for $159.98

They are on sale today and I have no idea for how much longer.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Try the ELAC Debut 2.0 floor standers for $319.98 each.

And the ELAC Debut 2.0 center for $159.98

They are on sale today and I have no idea for how much longer.

Thanks Wayne, these look great, unfortunately the Center is too big/not wall-mountable, and the floor speakers aren't going to pass the wife test in that color.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks Wayne, these look great, unfortunately the Center is too big/not wall-mountable, and the floor speakers aren't going to pass the wife test in that color.
Put the center on a shelf. It really IS that simple. There are Debut Bookshelf speakers also

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Please listen to speakers with familiar music before buying. I went thru this for the last time twenty years ago. I listened to a dozen speakers, it was mentally exhausting but necessary, and I eventually settled on Paradigm Studio Monitors. I demo in a quiet darkened room sealed the deal. I still have the Paradigms but I'm tempted by the Kef LS50 and now the Meta. Unfortunately my hearing has degraded to a point I probably could not appreciate them, but I'm still tempted!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Please listen to speakers with familiar music before buying. I went thru this for the last time twenty years ago. I listened to a dozen speakers, it was mentally exhausting but necessary, and I eventually settled on Paradigm Studio Monitors. I demo in a quiet darkened room sealed the deal. I still have the Paradigms but I'm tempted by the Kef LS50 and now the Meta. Unfortunately my hearing has degraded to a point I probably could not appreciate them, but I'm still tempted!
The Meta was Steve Guttenberg's other speaker of the year. They are definitely above the price point we are talking about.

bocat

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I just purchased a new pair of Definitive Technology D7 bookshelf speakers to go with a DT Procenter1000 center channel speaker and DT Promonitor 1000 surround speakers and a DT Prosub 1000. Very happy with the overall sound quality.

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
I agree with Bartman tbat you should audition and audition with music that you are intimately familiar with. Bring a note pad and jot down notes about what appealed to you and what you didnt like so much. The thing is hearing is subjective and what one person likes, another person may not. Dr Floyd Toole through many years of research at Canada's NRC and work at Harmon determined that the majority of people preferred speakers with a flat frequency response.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Thank you all for the above comments and suggestions. I suppose I may just put this on hold for some time then because I personally am not comfortable going to stores with everyone going on in the world right now, but will keep these models and suggestions in hand for when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks