What's new

Best 'Bang for Buck' sub purchased in Canada (1 Viewer)

Howard_You

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for a sub for a basement HT setup, room size is approx. 25'x35ft, HT area is about 1/3 of that space. The floor is concrete with a carpet w/ thick underlay.

Being in Canada I'm assuming the Paradigm subs offer the best value for the money, I'm considering the following:
1. Velodyne CTH-10 for approx. C$600
2. Paradigm PDR-10 for approx. C$500
2. Paradigm PDR-12 for approx. C$600
3. Paradigm PS-1000 for approx. C$700
5. Polk PSW404 for approx. C$600

Is the PDR-10 too small for my basement? If I go to the PDF-12, it's awfully temping to spend the extra $100 and go for the PS1000, it seems like a big step up (from reading specs/reviews).

SVS & Outlaw LFM-1 are too expensive for me and HSU has suspended Cdn. sales until they have a new distribution setup. Assuming the HSU STF-2 will be in the C$600 price range does anyone think it's worth waiting for instead of the above options?

Thanks!

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi:
Well, I can offer advice on the Paradigm subs.......
I had a PDR-10 in a basement HT area (dimensions in my area are odd 12 by 25 feet) and found it lacked the low end stuff in movies. I ended up with a PW2200 version 2. The retailer took my PDR-10 at full purchase price, so I did loose anything on the PDR-10. Basement HT areas need bigger subs as the concrete can absorb some of the sound waves; in other words you are totally relying on air waves alone to "feel" the bass. If it were me, I would look at nothing less than the PS-1000. Better yet a PW2100 would be a nice compromise and of course a PW2200 if you can swing the extra cash.

Hope this helps....cheers..John

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
There are usually some awesome used subs on audiogon; you could probably spend the $600 and get a $1200 used sub.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I got my HSU STF-2 while I was in California Dec. 2003 from CompUSA for $349, $50 less than what it goes for online. I think it has very good bang-for-the-buck especially since I didn't have to pay PST/GST/duties when crossing the border with it.

Marc H

Second Unit
For that size room, I'd recommend at least a 12" for impressive punch and dynamics.
Try and audition the new series of subs from Dahlquist if you can. I borrowed one of their 12" models for a weekend and now I want one :)
It has a 300 watt digital bash amp and LFE input. They are Canadian too.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Marc, where did you "borrow" one from? I'd be interested in borrowing one as well, if at all possible, and perhaps upgrading my 10" HSU STF-2 to a 12". My HT is in a concrete basement, 13' (w) x 23' (l) x 8' (h) and my HSU has trouble making things shake from 12 feet away, so that's why I added the 10" Dayton at the back to provide some extra rumble at the seating area.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
I am also doing the sub in Canada research. Best bang for the buck I have found so far is the Adire Rava at $529 plus $65 to ship (creativesound.ca). While I have not heard this sub, other posts indicate it will easliy outperform the PDR subs as well as the PS-1000. Sounds like it is a competitor to the PW line and they cost more. If there is a better bang for the buck sub available to Canada I want to hear about it!

Howard_You

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,

I'm in Ottawa as well, what shop is that? What is the price of the Dalquist 12"?

Thanks,
Howard

Howard_You

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,

Please ignore my last post, I looked up the info in your profile. At C$850 the Dalquist is a bit out of my price range. Thanks anyway.

I'm leaning towards the Adire Rava at this point.

Thanks for all the info everyone! This has been extremely helpful :) .

Howard

eryn shannon

Stunt Coordinator
I work at an audio store in Canada and as far as what we carry (athena, psb, mission, cerwin-vega, reference audio) the psb subs sound the best to me. Have a listen to the psb sub5I 10" $599 and the sub6I 12" $899. With some bargening you should be able to get them for about $450 and $700.

Marc H

Second Unit
Howard,
Please stop by if you can make it down to the Glebe. Park across the street at Olympic Ski Shop so you don't have to worry about the meters (they allow our clients to park there). That's just list price, I can do better in the shop if you decide you like it. It is impressive. I have other brands to compare it with too.

Travis R.

Agent
Hello I've been looking for a sub and I as well live in Ottawa and the general consensus on this forum is SVS is THE SUB to own. So I have looked at the differnt models read lots of threads about the sub and I am considering the SVS PB2+. Now my concern is the price due to the exchange shipping and so forth. Here is what I have found.

In CAD PB2+--------$1605.00 (as of yesterday)
Shipping ---$135.00
Customs-----$75.00
Total--------------- $1815.00 (plus Taxes 15%)=$2087.00

That is a rough estimate as well because the shipping may be in American dollars not sure yet.

Anyway is there a sub in the $2000.00 in Canada that can compare to it? For best bang for your buck they say SVS is the way to go. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Travis

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Travis - shipping will be in US Dollars, plus don't forget to add Brokerage Fees for the border crossing (SVS use UPS to ship to Canada and they are probably the highest cost border fee shipper out there). That will probably run you another 50 or 75 dollars - silly when FedEx does the same thing for 10 bucks. Jerry T above might correct me on the fees UPS charges, but I have imported other products with them and got shafted.

I was looking at SVS tube style Subs early last year due to their high regard and went for the Paradigm Servo-15 for 1400CDN due to the numbers you posted above. Have a look at the new Seismic-12 from Paradigm as well.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Nothing can touch DIY for bang for the buck. All it requires is some tools and a little desire and you can build a sub that will destroy anything even remotely close to what it cost you to build.

From Creative Sound Solutions:

SUB250RF Plate Amp $238
Tempest 15" driver $202

So $440CDN plus about $20 shipping and GST.

Then locally you'll have to spend about $100 - $200 for construction and finsihing materials.

The result can be a sub that it would take a pair of PW2200s to best it by above 25hz and depending on what you tune it to they'd have a hard time competing with it in the bottom of the last octave.

There's a link to my chronicling of my DIY sub project in my sig. Just note for the cost page that I built this sub almost 3 years ago and at that point in time there wasn't a Canadian Adire dealer.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
How does the Servo 15 compare to the SVS subs? I'm just very curious how the Servo 15 sounds... I've heard the PW2200 and it was pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks