What's new

Battlestar Galactica: Season 2.0 & 2.5 (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
We're not spoiled. Not all of us have the luxury of sitting in front of the boob tube watching broadcast television. I work very early morning and there are quite a few shows that I have picked up on DVD which I had never watched and probably never will have if it hadn't been for DVD.

Gilmore Girls, Smallville, LOST, Battlestar Galactica, Grey's Anatomy.

Since I'm asleep by five or six I get up around 2am so I don't have time thus the need for DVD's.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Those are some ugly hours what do you do mark? Some TV Shows Play better when you can watch an entire disk in a sitting, sopranos comes to mind

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I used to work early (but not that early) and I would tape or Tivo what I wanted to see when I did.

And I'm referring more to people that are saying "I would watch this but I'm going to wait for DVD" not the people who hadn't seen or couldn't see the show yet.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I happen to work for a local Target store and I just so happen that I'm in charge of pushing Electronics merchandise along with Entertainment and Media. Unloading trucks and all of that good stuff. So, I'm able to see the actual merchandise before it actually hits the shelf ...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I used to work at a video store a while back and I'd always get a thrill when I'd open up a box and it had a brand new big title in it. Call me crazy but it's fun seeing stuff before it's 'available'. :)

Sorry about going OT.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I've been watching through s2 in anticipation of s3 cranking up next week. It's been great watching through the season again. I still was incredibly annoyed by Kat in "Scar," however.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I learned (from another fan) that the deleted scenes that Sci-Fi made available on the internet for the second half of S2 aren't on the DVDs. The deleted scenes on the DVD were totally new to everyone. Confusing, isn't it?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I don't care about deleted scenes anymore. I got so fed up with the entertainment industry and the way they treat deleted scenes that I lost confidence with these studios for not using the DVD format the way it was designed to be used.

What am I talking about? DVD's for one is a sure fire way to please fans the restore the deleted scenes back into the the TV show or the movie so that fans could experience the episode or movie thew way it was originally filmed. Instead, what do we get? We get DVD's which are edited for family viewing and a whole lot more of these type of DVD's have been appearing more frequently.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Galactica is not edited for family viewing. I wouldnt let my young kids watch it. Seems that they edited scenes for time or pacing, not content. Not many deleted scenes could be or should be added back to the program. You would have to do effects, music, looping, color timing, yadda, yadda. And the end result, you get a new shot of someone walking down a hall.

What did you want from your deleted scenes Mark?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
That's not the point I'm getting. What's the use for putting deleted scenes on a DVD set? So we can see what they cut? They should be re-inserted back into the episodes or the movies they were cut from when being released to DVD. That's my point.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Alot of scenes are deleted because they don't work. Some are good (or great) but most deleted scenes aren't dropped because they're good, they're dropped because they're slowing things down or are repetitive or are hard to follow. I don't want to see every frame that was shot, I want to see the best possible episode/movie and that involves trimming the fat.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Travis is right. Not all deleted scenes are worth putting back in. I think a lot of deleted scenes are included for the reason you state Mark - so we can see why they were cut. A lot of the time they are cut for pacing or because they repeat something which is said at another point in the story or because they are just awful scenes. They rarely add to the story and often make it worse. The trouble is people are spoiled by things like Lord Of The Rings, The Abyss, Kingdom of Heaven where the deleted scenes actually have some merit at being included back in the film. This is not the norm.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I think a number of the deleted scenes in Galactica are quite good. In one or two eps, there may be a number of extra lines that add something to the background of the story or support why something happened. I really liked the extended version of Pegasus.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The problem with most of Galactica's deleted scenes (not counting, presumably, the extended pegasus) is that the evolution of the series in the writers' room is very fluid, and they only take as canon when moving forward what is in the final cuts of the episodes that came before. So some of the deleted scenes contradict what happens later.

Brian L D

Agent
This can't really be said for the later half of season 2.5. The opening "previously on BSG" parts on a few of the shows contain scenes that were deleted from previous episodes! This confused me a bit when the episodes were airing last spring as it caused me to think I may have missed something because I didn't remember seeing those scenes. But now that I have the DVDs and have watched the deleted scenes I know where that material has come from.

In this case, when the deleted scenes are important enough for them to be referenced to on later episodes then I feel that they should have been added back in.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
BSG's deleted scenes are often entire plots that just didn't fit the pacing of the episode, as well as time. There is an entire plot from the episode Downloaded that was cut because there were to many versions of the same characters in teh same episode. Too many cylons ;) Editing them back in would have the same problem on the DVDs that it had in the original episode, but you know what, I am glad to have them. There is a ten second long scene with Laura Roslin and the infant that is probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen from that character.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I suppose this should be in the graveyard-like REGIONAL AREA, but this is where all the BSG action is, so Ill ask it here.
I received the UK R2 Complete Season 2 boxset on Sept 1; I finally got around to watching disc 4-which in the UK consists of: epiphanies, black market, scar and sacrifice; I sat to watch the whole disc, but missed sacrifice; I assume these are in their correct airdate order.
The Mystery:

As we start the episode SCAR, the familiar "Previously on BSG": comes on.
And we see Starbuck(?) poking at some bloody, fleshy material inside of a crashed Cylon raider(?) asking aloud whether the ship is biomechanical or what-there are a few other unremembered (by me) scenes with a large base camp set up on (Caprica?) and the next scene we see is an overhead shot of a captured Cylon raider, hanging from chains, being examined by the crew in the BSG hangar.
All well and good, except that PREVIOUSLY on BSG was BLACK MARKET-which had none of those scenes. And none of them were on SCAR from what I remember-though I went out for a snack briefly.

I had watched BSG up untill PEGASUS then dropped cable.
I scanned the back of each box (i havent watched them all yet) for any info mentioning this, as a captured Cylon Raider would be a a pretty major plot point worth mentioning in the synopis of each episode, I WOULD THINK.

Is this the same prologue on the US edition of SCAR?
Am I nuts, or do I have a collectors item?
Or else what episode does this come from?
I also have the R2 Season one set, which I have not watched all of yet, either, so no flames.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the DVD's, but that sounds like a scene from Season 1 "You Can't Go Home Again" which is where we first learn that the Raiders are pilotless and partially organic or one of the immediate followup episodes where Chief and Boomer are examining the ship/pet. A true long ago 'previously' showing Starbucks connection with the Raiders.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The "previously on..." clips can come from any previous episode. The Starbuck shots you refer to are indeed from the Season 1's "You Can't Go Home Again". They tend to use clips that remind you of previous stories that lay groundwork for the episode you are about to watch regardless of how recent those episodes aired.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
OK, so Im not going nuts because this has happened other times where I go "huh?" Was this in the prologue or did I see this in another episode or what?
very confusing at times

When you count the last weeks synopsis, then the quick preview of the coming episode, plus the recurring credits, then commercials-there is only about 45 mins of actual new story left after all that is taken care of...which is why I think BSG should go to 90 mins.
It couldnt cost that much more since they have the cast and crew already there-they might just stay another day-or less- shooting another 25-odd minutes where we'd get at least 65 mins of actual story.
And since BSG is so popular- Im sure they have the cash to do this-and create some more depth stories as opposed to being written, told, and acted in a hurried, Hollywood Network "TV show" time and style. Id rather it had a "film" feel, with a little more time and space for each story. And they could save a few seconds without that 'arent we clever' -dumb final credit-where the 2 guys hit each other over the head etc. ending each episode.
That is annoying.

And I should say that on TV, 32" and above, the CGI SPFX are VERY distracting and obvious.
Models may cost more but Ill take them any day over 2D "moving paintings";
While models have the 'mass', weight and 3D form in space, which you can FEEL and know are there, the 2D flat spacehips, without mass, you can just feel are not real in any shape or form. just a moving non-existant picture... and they usually dont look "move" right either-too smooth and perfect looking.

I mean, some of the ships look like arcade video game creations.

I know they put much more work into GALACTICA, and it almost looks like a real ship-model or not-but the rest of 'em...
Even when you know that it is a model-it still looks more real-with the right lenses-IMHO...

Ronald Moore, if youre reading this-bust open that bulging wallet and HOP TO!

And pickpocket Universal-NBC while youre at it. Im sure they are getting filthy rich from the show-plus NBC has regular rerun rights on NBC network TV ala FOX's Stargate/Atlantis, soon...and will make a ton more cash.

Plus the "Frikken" and "praise the Gods" get a little over done at times...
again, IMHO...

That being said, I love the show-and hope it goes to at least 5+ seasons- and im glad that James Edward Olsmos and Mary McConnell are prominently featured-and get top billing.
While the ads and box covers usually show the 'babes' in the show- I feel they pretty evenly divide the stories between the younger, middle and older folks, which is how it should be.
Beautiful or not- just like in real life.
cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks