What's new

Any New Paramount Catalog Titles for 2006? (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
What about the uncut 1900? I had seen a shorter version years ago and thoght it to be most interesting and deserving of a full-scale restoration to its original length of 318 minutes. With its U.S. release of 245 minutes, there's still a lot of story to tell. Also, Paramount has still a lot to do with the Jerry Lewis catalog- what about Who's Minding The Store? and Rock-A-Bye Baby? And where is DeMille's Samson and Delilah???

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I thought that Paramount's catalogue input was going to increase? Perhaps they are playing catch-up. I did notice that Lords of Discipline is now Feb 28th and The Thing Called Love March 7th. Both of which were pulled after being kind of announced in 2004.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
In 2000, seems like ages ago, on the first HTF trip, I asked Martin Blythe about The Girl on the Bridge and he said something to the effect that it wouldn't sell so they weren't going to release it. I have the UK edition which is sharp with solid blacks and shadow detail, but has some combing problems.

A big 12 or 14 movie Marlene Dietrich set was just announced by Universal in France that included the Von Sternberg films. I doubt Universal will see fit to release it here though. :frowning:

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

If you have a multi-region player, MGM has released the full length version in Australia. You can get it for around $10.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
>A big 12 or 14 movie Marlene Dietrich set was just >announced by Universal in France that included the Von >Sternberg films. I doubt Universal will see fit to release >it here though.

I commented on that here a few weeks ago, with the remark that I'd order the batch from Amazon.fr if an announcement for a R1 release wasn't forthcoming soon. Mr Harris kindly replied that the set *is* in the works for early 2006, along with the aforementioned Lombard and Mae West sets :)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
I second Marco's notion about Remastered Presentations of the Peanuts Theatricals. Hopefully David Lambert is right about his reason to believe about Snoopy Come Home and A Boy Named Charlie Brown being on PAramonut's 2006 Radar Screen.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm waiting for Jonathan Livingston Seagull, which I suspect is rife with music licensing problems due to its Neil Diamond soundtrack.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I wouldn't think there would be any problem at all, as all of the music (songs included) was written specifically for the film.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
SUMMER AND SMOKE
ACE IN THE HOLE
LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR
REDS
THE CONFORMIST
IF
LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER
MY GEISHA
WILD IS THE WIND
COME BLOW YOUR HORN
HURRY SUNDOWN
SKIDOO
HARLOW
STERLIE CUCKOO
TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME JUNIE MOON
OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR!

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Some of Warner's output is new versions of existing movies on dvd. I really wish they would put those resources into new dvds. Warner has one of if not the largest library of films that remain unreleased.

Marc Boucher

Auditioning
With the release of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" next summer, isn't the time to release that swashbuckler's "Nate and Hayes"???

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
To date, Paramount has only released six noirs on DVD; Sunset Blvd. (1950), The Desperate Hours (1955), A Place in the Sun (1951), Sorry, Wrong Number (1948) and their recent releases of Detective Story and The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.

Other noirs Paramount should seriously consider:

Accused, The (1948)
Ace in the Hole (1951)
Alias Nick Beal (1949)
Appointment With Danger (1951)
Blind Date (1958)
Chicago Deadline (1949)
Dark City (1950)
File on Thelma Jordon, The (1950)
Hell's Island (1955)
I Walk Alone (1948)
Lawless, The (1950)
Manhandled (1949)
Man-Trap (1961)
Night Has a Thousand Eyes (1948)
No Man of Her Own (1950)
Paid In Full (1950)
Rope Of Sand (1949)
Savage Innocents, The (1959)
Scarlet Hour, The (1956)
Short Cut To Hell (1957)
So Evil My Love (1949)
Special Agent (1949)
Trap, The (1959)
Turning Point, The (1952)
Union Station (1950)

I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that I’d buy each and every one of these…

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
A little insider info... ;)

It's going to be a pretty dry year for catalog titles. I heard low sales has more or less killed any hopes of getting older titles released. Expect a lot of "special editions" of titles already released as well as more TV sets. Of the titles I saw mentioned in this thread: A Boy Named CB and Snoopy Come Home should be out in March, and African Queen is on the slate... but it's almost a year away.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Oops... a few others: Reds and Let's Scare Jessica To Death should make it out, but again they're about a year away.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
That's disappointing news, Hank E, but thanks for bringing it to our attention. What about the Martin and Lewis box set that Jerry Lewis has been mentioning? Is that still planned?

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Low catalog sales?

Well, titles like ALL IN A NIGHT'S WORK, HELLO DOWN THERE, HALF A SIXPENCE and WARNING SHOT may be happy in my collection, and they are, but I don't see masses rushing out for them. They're not exactly well known.

Many of the titles listed above would fare better, I'd think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks