What's new

Am I running too much equipment? (1 Viewer)

X1fan

Auditioning
Real Name
Tanner
My power according to my voltmeter and Monster hts1600 with no equipment running usually sits around 117-119 volts. With everything running it can drop to 110 volts, just wondering if this is really hard on my equipment and if its worth running a thick extension cord from the next circuit. Any thoughts?

Theater room,
Pioneer Elite preamp vsx84txsi
Kenwood m2a power amp for fronts
Kenwood kmx1 6 channel (c,sl,Sr,sbl,sbr)
Beer fridge
PlayStation 4, vaio laptop
NEC projector
7 Paradigm tower system(4x Monitor 11 v2/v3, 3x Monitor 7 v3
Velodyne DPS-12

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All your stuff is rated 110/115v.

Just like everything else made to be sold and plugged into an American wall outlet.

The voltage drops are caused by 1st year high school physics math.

"When you turn stuff on, the length of wire* off the wall goes from 3ft to 'however many extra feet of wire* is in all that stuff connected to the circuit'".

*wire length causes variable voltage. The same, exact, wire at 2ft has a different ohm load than a 200ft piece.

110, 115 and 120 are "all the same thing".

Your breaker box is providing 120v. By the time you run the 50ft of Romex to your wall outlet, then connect the 20ft vacuum cord in(70ft)...the vacuum is probably running on 100v.

X1fan

Auditioning
Real Name
Tanner
Thanks, yes unfortunately having the fridge on another circuit means running a 50 foot ext cord. I originally bought the Monster power center because when the fridge turned off there was a pop at the speakers, now its hardly noticable but definitely still there. I am trying to find a 3600 to replace my 1600 or another brand of line conditioner. Having another circuit installed in my theater room would be too costly.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And a 50ft extension cord isn't code. And would give your insurance company an excuse to not pay when your house catches fire.

X1fan

Auditioning
Real Name
Tanner
Not to mention a tripping hazard, does anyone here think its worth it to upgrade my power center? I have seen the hts 3600 mkII for around 200$

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
X1fan said:
My power according to my voltmeter and Monster hts1600 with no equipment running usually sits around 117-119 volts. With everything running it can drop to 110 volts, just wondering if this is really hard on my equipment and if its worth running a thick extension cord from the next circuit. Any thoughts?

Theater room,
Pioneer Elite preamp vsx84txsi
Kenwood m2a power amp for fronts
Kenwood kmx1 6 channel (c,sl,Sr,sbl,sbr)
Beer fridge
PlayStation 4, vaio laptop
NEC projector
7 Paradigm tower system(4x Monitor 11 v2/v3, 3x Monitor 7 v3
Velodyne DPS-12

That's about half the stuff I run with no problemos. I'd move the fridge. I have a friend bugging me to get a fridge near my cinema room....so he doesn't have to walk my steps from the basement to my upstairs to get his next beer. I tell him to bring his cooler....

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
How old is your house?

Modern codes require outlets from two different breakers in most rooms. I'd go from outlet to outlet and see which breaker(s) control them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks