What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Collection Box in 2012! (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by John Stell /t/320682/alfred-hitchcock-collection-box-in-2012/30#post_3940713
Got an email from Classic Flix. The US set comes out 9/25/12.

http://www.classicflix.com/alfred-hitchcock-masterpiece-collection-bluray-september-a-1252.html?osCsid=a4ed8e0a4d8d050fd9b1225d1fc2bbb9

Surprised we haven't seen an official press release yet, especially as we're less than 3 months from street date. But this is indeed good news.

I will say I don't understand why they went to the trouble to "rent" North By Northwest from Warner for this box since surely every Blu-ray-havin' Hitch fan willing to drop 200+ clams on this box already has that title.

I saw the box art and now Im on the fence. My problem is
I own Psycho
I own NxNW from Warner in the Hitchcock box set and the digibook. I wish Universal picked another title instead
I dont particularly like all the films in the set
That being said, I might pull the trigger if the price is right ( aka low enough)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Interestingly, the UK version of the boxed set doesn't seem to have North by Northwest:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008D1TNCE/
It also has the more elaborate box compared to the US version. Personally I prefer the US version for its more compact packaging, even though I already own North by Northwest.
I believe Universal generally goes region free for most of its releases, so people should be able to choose one or the other depending on what they prefer. I'm just glad these movies are finally coming out on blu.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Persianimmortal /t/320682/alfred-hitchcock-collection-box-in-2012/60#post_3941048
Interestingly, the UK version of the boxed set doesn't seem to have North by Northwest:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008D1TNCE/
It also has the more elaborate box compared to the US version. Personally I prefer the US version for its more compact packaging, even though I already own North by Northwest.
I believe Universal generally goes region free for most of its releases, so people should be able to choose one or the other depending on what they prefer. I'm just glad these movies are finally coming out on blu.

Because NBNW is a Warner title and the deal they made with Universal to include it in the boxset only applies to the US release.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Robert Crawford said:
Because NBNW is a Warner title and the deal they made with Universal to include it in the boxset only applies to the US release. 
Yes I understand that to be the reason, but as others have noted, since most Hitchcock fans would already have North by Northwest on blu, and it's much cheaper to buy the UK version (£94 excl. VAT = $145 US + postage) it might sway quite a few of them to pick up the UK version instead.
I strongly prefer the compact US boxed set, but thinking about it, it may well be region locked due to the US-only inclusion of North by Northwest.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Persianimmortal /t/320682/alfred-hitchcock-collection-box-in-2012/60#post_3941057
Yes I understand that to be the reason, but as others have noted, since most Hitchcock fans would already have North by Northwest on blu, and it's much cheaper to buy the UK version (£94 excl. VAT = $145 US + postage) it might sway quite a few of them to pick up the UK version instead.
I strongly prefer the compact US boxed set, but thinking about it, it may well be region locked due to the US-only inclusion of North by Northwest.

I responded to your comment about NBNW not being included that's all. I fully understand about the UK boxset being cheaper as I've bought previous releases from the UK instead of the US for similar pricing reasons.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
david steigman said:
My problem is
Mine's going to sound kind of silly, but... I rack all of my movies alphabetically by title and I can't do that with boxsets like this one.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Robert Crawford said:
I responded to your comment about NBNW not being included that's all.  I fully understand about the UK boxset being cheaper as I've bought previous releases from the UK instead of the US for similar pricing reasons.
Fair enough, and just to clarify - I did know that North by Northwest was a Warner title which Universal had managed to get included in the set, but I wasn't aware it was a US-exclusive deal, hence why I now think the US set may be region locked. We shall see. The fact that there is a UK set coming out at least means those of us in Australia are guaranteed a Region B version we can purchase, which is good enough for me, even if the packaging seems awkwardly large :)

Doctorossi said:
Mine's going to sound kind of silly, but... I rack all of my movies alphabetically by title and I can't do that with boxsets like this one.
Id suggest putting the box sets themselves in ABC order , I sort of did that, with the standard size box sets.
Those giant Warner Anniversary sets are the hardest to display (at least for me)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
From the specs that were posted on blu-ray.com it appears that Vertigo has only one lossless audio track - 5.1. So, I'm guessing that will be the "newish" mix w/ the new foleys. It would have been nice to have the original mono mix in lossless too. Maybe the lossy DTS track is the mono mix.
Doug

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
mikeyhitchfan said:
It's listed as DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono. This is lossless.
No, it isn't. The DTS lossless format is called DTS HD Master Audio.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Doctorossi said:
No, it isn't. The DTS lossless format is called DTS HD Master Audio.
You're correct. My bad. I did some more research on this. It's not a big deal for me either way, as long as the mono mix is included I'm happy.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
mikeyhitchfan said:
It's not a big deal for me either way, as long as the mono mix is included I'm happy.
It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it's very disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks