What's new

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
This is also the first time I've picked up these films, as the Blu-rays were so poorly reviewed and these are not my favorite Hitchcock films.

I'd personally be okay if studios stopped including Blu-rays with 4K releases. Digital copies are sufficient and far more flexible for viewing when a UHD disc player is not available.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
My TROUBLE WITH HARRY UHD disc arrived with a couple of ugly scratches, but it seems to play without issue. SABOTEUR was stuck inside the cardboard sleeve thanks to some overzealous gluing (but the disc ultimately cleaned up just fine after being liberated). The first thing I did (which is the same thing I've done with all of these Universal book-style collections) is move all the discs into clear plastic disc sleeves (fortunately they all still fit inside the outer box). God, I hate the design of these things. It doesn't help that the artwork is nearly identical to the previous Masterpiece Blu-ray collection from a decade ago.

0524221729a.jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The first thing I did (which is the same thing I've done with all of these Universal book-style collections) is move all the discs into clear plastic disc sleeves (fortunately they all still fit inside the outer box).

Interesting idea. I have some disc sleeves on hand, but they're a little different than yours and I couldn't get them to fit into the slots in the box.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
My TROUBLE WITH HARRY UHD disc arrived with a couple of ugly scratches, but it seems to play without issue. SABOTEUR was stuck inside the cardboard sleeve thanks to some overzealous gluing (but the disc ultimately cleaned up just fine after being liberated). The first thing I did (which is the same thing I've done with all of these Universal book-style collections) is move all the discs into clear plastic disc sleeves (fortunately they all still fit inside the outer box). God, I hate the design of these things. It doesn't help that the artwork is nearly identical to the previous Masterpiece Blu-ray collection from a decade ago.

View attachment 139705
Interesting idea. I have some disc sleeves on hand, but they're a little different than yours and I couldn't get them to fit into the slots in the box.

Since the BDs are just recycled old ones anyway (and sounds like all extras are included on the 4K discs), maybe just ditching them (or storing them elsewhere) would go a long way to help...

That's probably what I'll end up doing...

_Man_

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Since the BDs are just recycled old ones anyway (and sounds like all extras are included on the 4K discs), maybe just ditching them (or storing them elsewhere) would go a long way to help...

That's probably what I'll end up doing...

_Man_

You still have to stick the UHD into the slot in the cardbook "page" of the book packaging. Removing the Blu-ray from the opposite page won't do anything to make getting the UHD in and out any easier, or prevent it from getting scratched.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Just to clarify---- my plastic sleeves are just resting between the cardboard book pages, not in the disc slots. If it weren't for the outer box, they'd fall right out.

I *really* wish I'd just started buying the individual releases when volume 1 came out. Sure, they take up more room, but...

ChristophM

Auditioning
I think you're an outlier and if you compared these new 4K discs to those old Blu-rays, you wouldn't want to watch those Blu-rays.
A note from abroad: The European Vol. 2 sets I've seen have proper digibook packaging, so no glue issues. Some may find it a drawback that they don't come with download or streaming codes (personally I avoid further compression). As for the old BDs, I am among those who wouldn't have any use for them because I got that huge "Masterpiece Collection" acrylic case set back in the day but there's a tailor-made solution for this scenario too: I bought the Italian release which has just the five UHD discs in a digibook.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Those old Blu-rays don't look as good as those 4K digitals.
If they are from an older master then I would hope so.

If a BD and a digital 4k version are from the same master then I prefer the Blu-ray in most cases. Not sure how many of the titles in this box set are from a new master but at least The Trouble With Harry already looked very good on Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If they are from an older master then I would hope so.

If it is from the same master then I prefer the Blu-ray in most cases. Not sure how many of the titles in this box set are from a new master but at least The Trouble With Harry already looked very good on Blu-ray.
Didn't several of us already stated that every single Blu-ray in this 4K set is the same as the 2012 Blu-rays? There really isn’t anything else to argue about on that matter.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Didn't several of us already stated that every single Blu-ray in this 4K set is the same as the 2012 Blu-rays? There really isn’t anything else to argue about on that matter.

Who is arguing here?

The second part of my post was not about the box set but that in general I prefer Blu-rays to 4k streaming versions.
I have edited it for clarification.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Who is arguing here?

The second part of my post was not about the box set but that in general I prefer Blu-rays to 4k streaming versions.
I have edited it for clarification.
If that's your preference then so be it, but it's not mine if the Blu-rays are inferior to the 4K stream. The Trouble with Harry Blu-ray has been criticized by many people and you're one of the few people that thinks it looked very good.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
If that's your preference then so be it, but it's not mine if the Blu-rays are inferior to the 4K stream. The Trouble with Harry Blu-ray has been criticized by many people and you're one of the few people that thinks it looked very good.
No problem, luckily we can agree to disagree over here :)

With the way things are going I really hope that streaming will catch up with and possibly surpass BD and UHD quality instead of only being "good enough". We do not have a choice for a growing number of titles that have not been released on UHD disc or even Blu-ray but they are available on streaming platforms. Sadly things will only get worse in the future so here's hoping that there will be some way to get more consistent and higher quality content.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Started watching the 4K The Trouble With Harry and was pretty disappointed; that is, until the opening titles were complete. What a stunning looking disc! I remember how colorful the film has always been, even back on LaserDisc, but the detail and balance between the lightest and darkest areas of the frame in this release is extraordinary, especially for a vintage color film.

Wow.

Could The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) ever look like this?

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Started watching the 4K The Trouble With Harry and was pretty disappointed; that is, until the opening titles were complete. What a stunning looking disc! I remember how colorful the film has always been, even back on LaserDisc, but the detail and balance between the lightest and darkest areas of the frame in this release is extraordinary, especially for a vintage color film.

Wow.

Could The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) ever look like this?
I can't wait for Frenzy in 4K UHD ! :D I Wish WB would release some Hitchcock's in 4K ! :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks