What's new

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
As far as I can tell, the only thing shoddy about this set is the packaging. Not only are the discs impossible to dislodge from their holders, but the sticky glue used to adhere them occasionally has stuck to the discs. So, you have to clean the disc gently before watching it, or you'll get video lock-up.

Why Uni just can't spend a bit more coin and do a proper 'hub' release for these is beyond me. I'm divided about all the poo-pooing over the 'old' Blu-rays being included. While I think Uni ought to have struck new Blu's from the same 4K elements, I think those should have been sold in their own separately packaged box set.

Those of us who have upgraded and watch 4K discs, RARELY reference the Blu's for comparison, and most likely will NEVER watch them in their entirety - especially since Uni has included all the extras from the old Blu's on the 4K features. Very nice touch, by the way.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just lazy to not be able to put the new transfers on BLUs for those that aren’t up to 4K yet. They could have had more sales for this batch. These are for those that either don’t own them on BLU at all or for most of us that want the 4K.

Totally agreed. MARNIE on Blu-ray was iffy at best. FAMILY PLOT was just awful. When they come out with a third set, I hope they remaster the Blu of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, another failure on Blu.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The individual films from this set are currently $9.99 each at GRUV. $8.00 if you can get the coupon to work. The price for Black Friday switches between $9.99 and $13.99 but is $9.99 as of this writing.

The Hitchcock films from the Vol 2 set are $9.99 each
Marnie
The Trouble with Harry
Family Plot
Saboteur
Shadow of a Doubt

Link to all Hitchcock at GRUV.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Forget if this has been covered, but are any of the included BDs better than the old BDs?

I'm thinking to just move the included BDs to replace the old ones in the old cases (and maybe put away in 2ndary storage or something) so the set I ordered from Gruv won't be so cramped.

The $9.99 separates were tempting, but I likely need the storage/shelf-space-savings more than that preference's worth -- OTOH, I likely would've gone for Vol 1 as $9.99 separates if I didn't already buy the set... :P

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The $9.99 separates were tempting, but I likely need the storage/shelf-space-savings more than that preference's worth -- OTOH, I likely would've gone for Vol 1 as $9.99 separates if I didn't already buy the set... :P

I bought the separates for the first set, but more than that, I bought the Best Buy SteelBooks. I'm disappointed that none of the titles in v.2 got SBs. I still have to get around to getting the separates for v.2.

Even worse, Best Buy did individual SBs for 3 of the 4 films in the first Classic Monsters set. They didn't release one for The Invisible Man, and, in fact, Universal didn't release a regular individual edition until last month.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That’s interesting Jerry, I liked those Steelbooks from Best Buy of the Universal Monsters Classics. I bought the one for Frankenstein, I was going to try to get the rest, but if it’s not going to happen for the rest, then maybe I’ll be happy with Frankenstein only. Perhaps the sales were not high enough to justify it. It was a premium cost over the box set.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I finally watched my 4K of The Trouble with Harry, which looks spectacular in VistaVision. The musical score by Bernard Herrmann is wonderful, and reminds a bit of some of his work for The Twilight Zone. The performers are all very good, but somehow the whole of Harry less than the sum of the parts from my pov in this comedy noir, because for me it's only amusing. John Forsythe's stories about the making of Harry in the short documentary are funnier than the movie itself.

the-trouble-with-harry-american-poster-5.jpeg

Last edited:

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Judging by THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, the new sets do not have remastered Blu-ray editions. Universal has simply gone on the cheap and is dumping the older Blu-ray transfers into the UHD/Blu-ray sets. If you don't have 4K UHD playback equipment, just stick with the old Blu-rays.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Judging by THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, the new sets do not have remastered Blu-ray editions. Universal has simply gone on the cheap and is dumping the older Blu-ray transfers into the UHD/Blu-ray sets. If you don't have 4K UHD playback equipment, just stick with the old Blu-rays.
Or get the 4K sets while you still can, I'm not sure they will be in print in 5 years.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you feel that 4K is a dying format, perhaps a later version of laserdisc?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Physical media in general. It is being dropped too many places all at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks