What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Airplane SE coming/ Viacom to tap Paramount library (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The dvd distribution rights to "The African Queen" belong to Paramount now and it appears that the rights issues that slowed it from making it to dvd in 2004, have finally been cleared up. Also, the film elements were in dire need of restoration work which apparently is now proceeding so that a dvd release can occur in late 2005.

Crawdaddy

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
SE To Black Sunday and any 70s classics that have not gotten justice. As for the SE of Airplane, bring on the David Letterman/Barry Manilow footage shot if any!!!! i would love to see it along with present day interviews with the stars of the film and the surviving cameoed ones as well.

OVER MACHO GRANDE??? (I know it's from II, another future SE perhaps)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'll eventually get around to picking these up but like others said, Paramounts been pretty on point with their past releases and I'd rather see more effort put into their back catalogue rather than revisiting current titles. Really, this should have been done from the get go. The only two titles that I think are in dire need of the S.E. treatment are Chinatown and Shane, for obvious reasons.

So now we have rumors of Ferris Bueler, Spaceballs, Airplane and I'm sure there are others. All great choices and I'll gladly repurchase these, but please don't make us revisit our entire studio collections. Not every film is deserving of this and it'll just make me hesitant about purchasing upcoming titles wihtout a Special Edition banner...

Please focus on films that have NOT yet been released before doing this.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Spaceballs is more than a rumor. It's coming out May 3!

And Airplane would seem to be beyond the rumor stage as well, according to the Wall Street Journal.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Paramount: please
LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER
SUMMER AND SMOKE
WILD IS THE WIND
THE REIVERS
OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR!
MY GEISHA
THE RAINMAKER (HEPBURN /LANCASTER

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
I second the release of Private Parts --anamorphic
Be nice to have a SE of this but since Howard is leaving Infinity Broadcasting (owned by viacom) which Paramount pictures is a part of , i was'nt surprised to see the original dvd in the walmart $5.50 bin

Damn shame too , Imagine what Anchor Bay could do with this one .... :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>> Mark, Is Robinson Crusoe On Mars confirmed in the article?
---
no-I was just giving a thumbs up to either or BOTH films getting released on disc

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Private Parts: Howard Stern has said many times on his show that he has begged Paramount for a SE, and that there were tons of stuff left off the film that could be included in such a DVD, along with his own commentary. Paramount really fouled up here- but then this is one studio not known for their care its Special Edition DVDs, unlike Warner Brothers. After all, believe it or not, they still haven't given Breakfast At Tiffany's the Special Edition treatment!!!! :frowning:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

There are those who believe (and I'm not sure I totally dis-believe it either) that Howard is demanding some kind of sweetheart deal for his participation in making an SE DVD and that's why Paramount refuses to do one. Even though he is leaving Infinity, it would be a good time to release an SE with all the attention that Howard has been getting lately, and they would still have him until December to plug the hell out of an SE everyday. Let's face it, there are a few Howard projects have have not come to fruition. There's the WWOR show which Howard claims they won't let him have any access to and won't release. Why Not? It would be a big seller. Then there's the Uncensored E! Show DVD that he was promising for like 2 years, but instead decides to release it on the web where you have to pay up to like $6.00 to download the show and have a whopping 24 hours of access.
But then again, Paramount is lazy when it comes to suppliments for non-new release titles. I'm not sure what to believe on this one.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

with all the great stuff that came out in 2004 and the last wave of Fox studio classics and next weeks Warner comedies, this has now become my #1 most wanted title from any studio.
i can't understand how a well liked film featuring two stars with sizable, loyal followings can remain stuck in the vault year after year.
i just don't understand it.
it would be one thing if there were rights disputes or the elements were in need of reconstruction/restoration but i just don't believe thats the case.

i get the feeling we will be seeing a little sooner, what would be my close behind #2 want
Ace In The Hole.
i've been more fixated on Wood & McQeen the last few years, but if/when this ever gets announced i'm going to be jumping up and down like a fool.

Rob T

Screenwriter

It's possible that Viacom might buy some Sirius stocks one day so that Howard will still be affiliated with Viacom sort of.

and I'd like a nice SE of Private Parts too. :)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Grease needs a new remastering.
I would also eventually like to see a new Ten Commandments without all the DVNR...but since it was recently reissued, I'm not holding my breath.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Airplane "Don't Call Me Shirley!" Edition has shown up on DVDEmpire.com. (11/15)

Tentative features include (so far):

-New commentary by Producer Jon Davidson and Writer/Directors Jim Abrahams, Jerry Zucker, and David Zucker (I'll assume this is the original commentary... ZAZ don't seem to be the types to record a second commentary for the same movie... and if they went to the trouble of recording a new one, why not get the actors involved?)

-Enhanced Movie Version with Branching to Deleted Scenes, Interviews and more! (Deleted scenes? Yes!)

-Trivia Track - Hilarious little known facts and figures from the minds of the directors (sounds good)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks