What's new

A few words about Narnia... (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm REALLY looking forward to the dvd now. I was worried that we would get a National Treasure type dvd which is a good movie but has a pretty lame image. Glad to hear that the BV folks have done Narnia justice.

April 4th can't get here soon enough!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

just to clarify...

I think that the DVD could still have looked *better* had it been a Sony super-bit etc. However, it still looks *clearly* better than the typical BV live-action title and actually comes very close to replicating the look of the two 35 mm theatrical prints I've seen. All in all it's a breath of fresh air and I am pleasantly surprised...and satisifed!

Brett,

I love it!

Next time around expect to see that in the thread title...

:D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Sounds good David! Also looking forward to reading about the Blu-Ray version when you get your little greedy hands on it later on this year! ;)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
As a boy, I saw the cartoon "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" when it originally aired in two, one hour parts, 8:00PM, prime time CBS television. This was during the Easter season. I recorded it on VHS and as a result, I have seen it several times and have the solid memory of it in my mind.

When I saw the movie in the theater, I was amazed at how the detail of the story followed the same progression, with the story and the props used, as the aired cartoon. Many years later, I viewed the BBC version, when helping my son do a report for school, and noticed that this version had several different discrepancies from the earlier televised version.

Never having read the book, I wonder which version is closer to the original literature?

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Hmmm... I seem to recall the cartoon from CBS was pretty close to the book.

Haven't seen the BBC version in a long time, and don't recall it, but the latest film presentation added some stuff. The Fox, for one thing-- he appeared to be added to give Edmund some character depth; the ice breaking thing was new, as well-- I suppose the trip to Beruna just wasn't fraught with enough peril? Also, the Chief of Security Wolf has a much larger role in the film. Some stuff around the beginning relating to the War, obviously, and some stuff around the end which otherwise would have bogged the finale down in exposition.

Some liberties taken, to be sure, but all in all a film that stayed remarkably true to the book in tone, if not to the letter.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Hey David, wouldn't this be a good movie to start a High-Def collection (instead of buying the DVD)?

Just wondering.

P.S. Didn't care for the movie myself.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Hi guys,

Yeah, I did let one rip really bad in this post. I actually forgot I did that hence the late reply.

You are right, this is a thread about the DVD. I did make a quick movie comment in a DVD thread, not that it hasn't been done before. Since I tend to hang out mostly in this forum it was only second nature to post my feelings about the film as soon as I saw the thread. I don't see anything wrong with it. Although I'd never start a film discussion thread in a DVD forum - that would be wrong.

While I'm sure the DVD looks and sounds awesome (as I encourage even the WORST movie in the world to strive for the best presentation for its fans) and I know David will do a fantastic job with the review, nothing will change my impressions of the film.

Mike

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

i couldn't agree more!!!

after seeing the trailers, i really was looking forward but after finally seeing the film i just felt "wtf was that?" it tries way to much to be like lord of the rings, which are certainly the better movies. lotr had everything you wanted to be in an epic movie and thats were narnia failed to deliver.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
yeah i did, and it says it's about the dvd ;) still wanted to share my thoughts about the movie itself.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Well, I guess if a HTF reviewer wants to thread fart, I guess it is okay for other members to follow suit.

Thanks, Mike.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Smelly thread!
Nice pre-review, Dave. lookin' forward to renting this.
And off topic, I just watched all 6 SW films 1-6 and IMHO IV and V have alot more resonance after seeing III.
Vader truly takes on a tragic persona by the end of VI that doesn't play nearly as well without III. Watching the Emperor torturing and trying to kill his son in front of his eyes for being strong and resisting the emperor makes Vader's ultimate turn back way more meaningful after seeing Anakin give in at the end of III. Once again, IMHO.

:) Back on topic...

Eric F

Screenwriter
If the DVD is this good, I can't wait to see it when it makes it to STARZ-HD at the end of this year. Hopefully it will be OAR as most recent Disney releases playing on STARZ have been.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
DOH! I'm a hypocrite!
Oh well, I can always blame it on my ADD and the fact that we sprung ahead overnite and I had only 6 hours between getting offwork at midnite and being back at work at 7am!

:) d

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
IMO we can close this thread now that the review thread is posted.

Please no thread-farting there...that's an order!

dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks