What's new

A few words about Narnia... (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Gorgeous.

One of the best looking BV DVDs I've seen.

And the DTS soundtrack...inspiring.

Review coming soon!

-dave :D

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I thought the movie sucked in the biggest way.

100% disappointment.

I never grew up with this story either - I've never known anything about it.

All i can say is the feel and the look is CHEAP and fake. Totally ruined the movie for me. The story was crap. The ending was a let down. It's like it tried to be epic but failed miserably.

Not to mention some of the acting was brutal...

Mike

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen it yet, either, but know the book and don't have high hopes. I'm surious, though. However, if you wanted this movie to be good, you probably wanted it to be His Dark Materials, which New Line is releasing next Christmas (2007). Apprarently in England it outsold LotR in paperback!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Michael: Are you familiar with the books?! Or, are you saying the screenplay was crap?

I haven't seen the movie either (it was a huge miss for me at the theater), but am looking forward to the DVD in the next week or so. The books in the Narnia series will always number among my favorites. Most reviews of the film were kind to it.

David: Can't wait to hear what you've got to say!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Wow...I disagree with every single one of those points, but hey. To each his own, right?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program, I am interested in hearing more about the DVD (transfer quality, audio, etc.)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
IMO, the movie was *great* (though not perfect, of course). Just loved it, and thrilled to review it!

dave :)

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
If the A/V is really good, then I'll buy it. I really liked the movie, but was gonna settle for a rental with Buena Vista's track record of sucky video. If that's not the case, then I'm all over it. :emoji_thumbsup:

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
WHOA. Keira....

Focus....

Sorry to possibly offend, but Michael, as a reviewer, you should know, doesnt your post belong in the MOVIES forum, and not here? This is a thread about the A/V quality of the DVD, and not a review of the movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Copyrighted by Robert Harris? :D

Haven't seen the film, but based on reviews and watercooler talk I have a bad feeling.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Good to hear about the A/V.

As a HUGE fan of the novels, the film did a great job of targeting the same primary age group (8-10 years old) that the novels did, yet can be enjoyed by adults who approach the film with the understanding that they are *not* the main intended spectator. Much like the 2003 Peter Pan (which is actually a better film), Narnia is the type of film that will either delight or frustrate, and I personally believe it depends largely on what one wants to get out of the film. I think it's fine that it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for what it is trying to to do - be an escapist fantasy yarn for 8-10 year olds with the inclusion of a blanket morality parable - it is quite accomplished.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Great news re: AV.

Can't wait to see this again on April 1st here in Brighton--free kid's film festival, parents pay a buck.

Then, I'll buy the SE DVD and enjoy it with my kids in the comfort of my HT.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Um, no, but it is a thread about the Narnia DVD, not a thread discussing the merits of the movie, which would happen, shockingly enough, in the Movies forum.

Michael Osadciw's post was a thread crap, pure and simple. Any member of this board ought to know better, especially one that's a reviewer.

BTW, this post is not meant to squelch anyone's viewpoint of the film, as I thought there was room for improvement in terms of character development, etc. However, there is a place for such discussions, and it is the Movies forum. Otherwise, I would be thread crapping all over any and all Fantastic Four threads here in the HT Software - Film and Documentary forum.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Paul is correct.

There's always some leniency as it's hard to make a cut-and-dry separation when talking about the "DVD" that avoids making any comments about the movie itself (and members shouldn't have to squelch their enthusiasm for fear of infraction)...but anything in the way of a critique of the film's merits...whether for or against...belongs in the movie's forum.

Not to mention the common courtesy of avoiding needless negative remarks in a thread obviously geared towards fans of a particular film. Maybe Michael was having a bad day...

:)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader".

Can't wait for the DVD. This film and "King Kong" both transported me to another world which is all I could really ask for.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Depends on how you count them. :) The chronology of the events in the books produces one order, but the publication order is very different. (The Magician's Nephew, for instance, is a prequel, written after all but one of the other novels had all been published.)

Here is the publication order:

1. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle.

But the chronology (which is the basis of the numbering for the most recent paperback releases in the U.S., at least) is this:

1. The Magician's Nephew
2. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

So the third book is either Dawn Treader or The Horse and His Boy (in which case Dawn Treader is book 5) depending on which order you prefer.

But The Silver Chair isn't the third book no matter how you slice it. :)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks