A few words about Narnia...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DaViD Boulet, Mar 22, 2006.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Gorgeous.

One of the best looking BV DVDs I've seen.

And the DTS soundtrack...inspiring.

Review coming soon!

-dave [​IMG]

2. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    I thought the movie sucked in the biggest way.

100% disappointment.

I never grew up with this story either - I've never known anything about it.

All i can say is the feel and the look is CHEAP and fake. Totally ruined the movie for me. The story was crap. The ending was a let down. It's like it tried to be epic but failed miserably.

Not to mention some of the acting was brutal...

Mike

3. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Haven't seen it yet, but will be giving the DVD a look.

5. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

I haven't seen it yet, either, but know the book and don't have high hopes. I'm surious, though. However, if you wanted this movie to be good, you probably wanted it to be His Dark Materials, which New Line is releasing next Christmas (2007). Apprarently in England it outsold LotR in paperback!

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Michael: Are you familiar with the books?! Or, are you saying the screenplay was crap?

I haven't seen the movie either (it was a huge miss for me at the theater), but am looking forward to the DVD in the next week or so. The books in the Narnia series will always number among my favorites. Most reviews of the film were kind to it.

David: Can't wait to hear what you've got to say!

7. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Pee-yew! Anyone else smell that thread fart?

8. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Wow...I disagree with every single one of those points, but hey. To each his own, right?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program, I am interested in hearing more about the DVD (transfer quality, audio, etc.)

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

IMO, the movie was *great* (though not perfect, of course). Just loved it, and thrilled to review it!

dave [​IMG]

10. Jack _Webster

Jack _Webster Stunt Coordinator

If the A/V is really good, then I'll buy it. I really liked the movie, but was gonna settle for a rental with Buena Vista's track record of sucky video. If that's not the case, then I'm all over it. [​IMG]

11. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    WHOA. Keira....

Focus....

Sorry to possibly offend, but Michael, as a reviewer, you should know, doesnt your post belong in the MOVIES forum, and not here? This is a thread about the A/V quality of the DVD, and not a review of the movie.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Copyrighted by Robert Harris? [​IMG]

Haven't seen the film, but based on reviews and watercooler talk I have a bad feeling.

13. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Good to hear about the A/V.

As a HUGE fan of the novels, the film did a great job of targeting the same primary age group (8-10 years old) that the novels did, yet can be enjoyed by adults who approach the film with the understanding that they are *not* the main intended spectator. Much like the 2003 Peter Pan (which is actually a better film), Narnia is the type of film that will either delight or frustrate, and I personally believe it depends largely on what one wants to get out of the film. I think it's fine that it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for what it is trying to to do - be an escapist fantasy yarn for 8-10 year olds with the inclusion of a blanket morality parable - it is quite accomplished.

14. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    Great news re: AV.

Can't wait to see this again on April 1st here in Brighton--free kid's film festival, parents pay a buck.

Then, I'll buy the SE DVD and enjoy it with my kids in the comfort of my HT.

15. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Wow.....strong words for a film that I thought was fantastic! The best film I saw in the theatres this past Christmas season (That includes King Kong). The fact that the kids were played by complete unknowns was quite refreshing and added to the charm of this film. It's no Lord of The Rings, but it certainly stands on it's own.

I look forward to the DVD (2-Disc) as well as the upcoming sequel.[​IMG]

Bring on the review David.[​IMG]

16. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Um, no, but it is a thread about the Narnia DVD, not a thread discussing the merits of the movie, which would happen, shockingly enough, in the Movies forum.

Michael Osadciw's post was a thread crap, pure and simple. Any member of this board ought to know better, especially one that's a reviewer.

BTW, this post is not meant to squelch anyone's viewpoint of the film, as I thought there was room for improvement in terms of character development, etc. However, there is a place for such discussions, and it is the Movies forum. Otherwise, I would be thread crapping all over any and all Fantastic Four threads here in the HT Software - Film and Documentary forum.

17. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I agree[​IMG]

18. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Paul is correct.

There's always some leniency as it's hard to make a cut-and-dry separation when talking about the "DVD" that avoids making any comments about the movie itself (and members shouldn't have to squelch their enthusiasm for fear of infraction)...but anything in the way of a critique of the film's merits...whether for or against...belongs in the movie's forum.

Not to mention the common courtesy of avoiding needless negative remarks in a thread obviously geared towards fans of a particular film. Maybe Michael was having a bad day...

[​IMG]

19. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I found a review for narnia over at dvdtown:
    http://www.dvdtown.com/review/chroni...th/18104/3558/

I only saw the movie once. I enjoyed it.. more so then the harry potter movies.. going into another world.. my favorite is the silver chair. I cann't wait for that one.
    which is the third book.

JACOB

20. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader".

Can't wait for the DVD. This film and "King Kong" both transported me to another world which is all I could really ask for.