What's new

A few words about Narnia... (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
What's funny about the Narnia books is that the same thing is now happening with the Star Wars movies. To view chronology or publication? Personally, I prefer publication and I'm glad the movie are going in that order. Will be interested to see if they ever do get to "The Horse and His Boy" and the "Magician's Nephew".

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Are they actually going forward with that, finally? I know they have a new director, but that was months ago.

HDM is the anti-Narnia. I finished it, and I still wasn't sure if I liked it...

Jason

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I read the book when I really young so I don't remember it at all.

The story itself didn't do a whole lot for me. Visually the movie was quite beautiful and I will get the DVD to give it a second viewing. Sounds like the disc will be a pleasure to view.

For the record I thought the kids did a pretty good job.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I either never read The Horse and his Boy or I no longer remember it. (I'm actually going back through the books for the first time in ages, having bought myself the paperback boxed set for Christmas. I gave my old copies to one of my nieces when she was a little girl - and she now has two kids of her own.) As for The Magician's Nephew, I suspect they may work some of the backstory into the other movies, but I doubt they'll "go back" and tell it as a stand-alone film.

Regards,

Joe

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
A pity, as that one was my favorite.

A Horse and His Boy might not play well with modern audiences... the analogy between the Calormenes and Islam is... well, it's not subtle. I mean, even less subtle than Aslan as Jesus. Mel Gibson might get it made, but I don't know that Disney will back something that could be that controversial. Frankly, it was my least favorite of the books, and the least important to continuity, so I'm not sure it would be a great loss.

The Last Battle has similar issues, mostly because of the Calormenes, again; the rest would go through with nary a peep on the religio-politcal spectrum. Despite the very religious overtones, Lewis was really rather liberal-minded as far as who could make it into heaven.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Off topic but, CS Lewis wanted them to be read in chronological order, not the order of publication.

I read this IIRC in the forward of the nice Narnia hardcover collection.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
That's not exactly true.

Lewis said:

"I think I agree with your order (i.e. chronological) for reading the books more than with your mother's. The series was not planned beforehand as she thinks. When I wrote The Lion I did not know I was going to write any more. Then I wrote P. Caspian as a sequel and still didn't think there would be any more, and when I had done The Voyage I felt quite sure it would be the last. But I found as I was wrong. So perhaps it does not matter very much in which order anyone read them. I'm not even sure that all the others were written in the same order in which they were published."

So, his particular view was that it didn't really matter. I think most fans seem to agree that published order allows for a better unfolding of the world, but that ultimately it's not a huge difference.

The general reasoning for chronological order is summed up very nicely here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chr...#Reading_order

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
George Lucas wants the 'Star Wars' films to be watched in chronological order as well but I don't think that's going to be the most popular viewing in the future.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe not for the generation that grew up with the originals, but you better believe the younger ones growing up with the new films will be viewing them in chronological order.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Well, it does say in big bold letters "DaViD Boulet" in the thread-starter column next to the thread...

:D

p.s. hope that no one takes offense at my using RAH's popularized "a few words about" phrase...it seems the most sensible way to introduce a brief summary of a DVD presentation in prelude to a full review...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I doubt that, it makes a lot more sense to watch them 4-5-6-1-2-3 because Lucas didn't bother explaining any of the rules or lay out any of the 'world' in Episode 1

"For over a thousand generations the jedi were guardians of peace and justice"

"The force is what gives a jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It binds us, penetrates us..."

Lucas just assumes you know everything already for the first trilogy, so it only makes sense to introduce a new generation to the series (because for the next group of kids they're not going to be seeing them in theatres) by playing A New Hope first.

I'd also say that publication order for narnia better because the story and world unfold better in that manner. Magician's nephew just isn't as instantly fascinating and gripping as Lion Witch and the Wardrobe is. And then it makes sense to stay with the Penvensie children as they're fazed out (since you're already attached to them), but after reading the first three, I'd think any order of the remaining four would be fine.

Adam

greg_t

Screenwriter
I also think 4-5-6-1-2-3 is the best order for star wars. Episodes I and II on their own are not great movies. They are only really good in the light of seeing things that lead up to events in 4-5-6.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I haven't yet seen the current version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. But having seen the 1988 version on the BBC video series, I have ordered the new version. I thought the movie was quite enjoyable. So, am looking forward to the dvd.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Can't wait to see the full review. My wife and I both really loved the movie when we say it in theaters last year. It was one of our favorites.

I was thinking of holding off purchasing till the BD release came along, but now I'm definitely picking it on release day.

I'm assuming they sent you the 2-disc SE to screen, right?

Chris S.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Well, offense would be a bit strong of a reaction by anyone other than RAH himself. But yeah, when I see that phrase I'm used to assuming it's one of his threads. I kind of like that bit of branding, and I think he does, too.

Not that your review wasn't worth reading! :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If anyone can suggest a good catch-phrase for a non-RAH individual to use to produce the same connotation...I'll be happy to use it next-time-around...

"A couple of words about..."

??? :D

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Boulet Briefly on [movie title]
I've already registered it, email me and we'll work something out. :D

Is no thread safe from Star Wars? ;)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Well back to Narnia. I loved this movie and can't wait to see it again. I read the LWW before I saw it and I'm now reading the others in publication order.

I'm at The Horse & His Boy now and I'm really enjoying it, these movies can't come out fast enough. I've even been tempted to get the old BBC movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks