What's new

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea DVD to have TONS of extras (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
check this out at thebits:
http://thedigitalbits.com/#vault
From Eric Young, the disc producer at Disney (maybe we should send *him* some email about 16x9 Muppet Treasure Island since he seems like friend to DVD fans ;) ):
And you're in for a real treat with the forthcoming 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. In addition to myself, I've enlisted the work of David Skaal (Universal Monsters Series) and Disney Archivist Les Perkins, along with film historian Rudy Behlmer and collectors Bob Burns and Larry & Paul Brooks to create the ultimate fan's dream: over three hours of original, extensive supplements. I've discovered substantial behind-the-scenes footage from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea missing for almost 50 years as well as a few other surprises.
Pretty awesome...hugh?
I'm sure it goes without saying (given the transfers for Polyanna, Parent Trap, Swiss Family and Old Yeller) that this new 20,000 L.U.T.S will have a reference 16x9 anamorphic transfer. Can't wait to say "goodbye!" to that orange-tinted/burry laserdisc!
Thanks Bill for getting such awsome info on your site!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Why is everyone convinced this release will be OAR, given all the fuss about Disney going P&S.

I'm not going to celebrate until specs are officially announced.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to have a nicely transferred copy of this goofy but charming film--it arouses a boyish sense of wonder in me.

But it's such a sad commentary on these new times in which we live that we must hold our breaths until Disney confirms or denies that said transfer will be in the original aspect ratio.

Once the cat's tail has been caught between the screendoor, he never feels comfortable about that door again. Same with us and Disney.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for this DVD!

I simply can't see Disney presenting this 2.55:1 film full frame, especially since it's aimed more at an older crowd than most of their films. However, crazier things have happened.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Fantastic news, an absolute classic Disney movie finally gets what it deserves, but more important than all those extras though is that the movie MUST be released in full widescreen (it was made in Cinemascope).

Still shocked that the release of the super-wide animated classic 'Sleeping Beauty' on R2 DVD is pan&scan, really really pathetic.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
The fact that their Swiss Family Robinson "Vault Disney" release is in its proper aspect ratio, gives pretty good clue that this will be, too. Seems like the four releases under this banner so far have been given proper treatment at last.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm not too worried that the Vault Disney titles will be handled properly, as they seem to understand the market for this line. I wouldn't put it past them doing movie only editions in P&S, but no casual customer cares about all the supplemental material that these films are getting. The Love Bug is also in process, which means I'll be getting all of the announced titles so far, budget permitting.

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
The French and German Sleeping Beauty Editions are in 16x9 Widescreen. Maybe you better sell the UK version and get either the German or French Editions?!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Why is everyone convinced this release will be OAR, given all the fuss about Disney going P&S.
Because Disney is only doing P&S-only laser/TV rehashes for 1.85:1 titles. They have yet to do it for a true widescreen (anamorphic, wide gauge system, etc) movie.

Just because a studio decides to take the cheap route for a few titles, it doesn't mean they're not doing OAR anymore. I guarantee that if Muppet Treasure Island was filmed in Panavision, it would be OAR on DVD.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Mary Poppins would be a great candidate for Vault Disney. I wish Disney treated all of their films with such care for audio and video and made efforts to release them with extras. Is a theatrical trailer asking too much?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Vault Disney?!! What brainiac thinks up stuff like this? Who is going to do the intros?......Count Dracula?!!

"Velcome to Vault Disney.....Vere ve are goink to be seeink classic live feeelms from Valt Disney. HAaaHahaha.

Sheesh....couldn't they come up with somethng that didn't sound like a bad pun? Still...it is good to see that "20000 leagues under the Sea" is being released. It is one of the few live action Disney films that I can stomach.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Vault Disney?!! What brainiac thinks up stuff like this? Who is going to do the intros?......Count Dracula?!!
Um...films are kept in vaults. Hence the name, Vault Disney. Since older films are preserved or kept in vaults, this would be where the name originates.

Also, Vault Disney is the name of the late-night block on the Disney Channel which airs vintage stuff like Zorro and Disneyland episodes. Not that different from a monetary vault.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Um...films are kept in vaults. Hence the name, Vault Disney. Since older films are preserved or kept in vaults, this would be where the name originates.
------------------------------------------------------------
I understand that films are or can be preserved in vaults. It was just the word combination that seems ridiculous......like someone thought it would be funny to use the words "Vault (Walt) Disney". If they want to use alliteration, why not call it "Walt's Vault" or how about "Disney's High Vaultage" with appropriate tune by AC/DC. :)
I especially like "Disney's Cryo-Cinema" with the tagline "fresh from the freezer".

Claes Ljunghorn

Stunt Coordinator
Because Disney is only doing P&S-only laser/TV rehashes for 1.85:1 titles. They have yet to do it for a true widescreen (anamorphic, wide gauge system, etc) movie.
In Sweden it is exactly the other way around! Disney is releasing all films made in 1,37:1 - 1,85:1 in the OAR on DVD. All films wider than that are pan-scan ONLY. Like Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp and Atlantis.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In Sweden it is exactly the other way around! Disney is releasing all films made in 1,37:1 - 1,85:1 in the OAR on DVD. All films wider than that are pan-scan ONLY. Like Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp and Atlantis.

------------------------------------------------------------

Disney corp. is bizarre. They are so f'ing big that it seems the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. You would think that they would have a consistent worldwide policy regarding their releases. Unfortunately, if they did......the dopes would probably be P&S'ing everything.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for Treasure Island, Disney's first all-live film. It is a gorgeous Technicolor treat that will we will probably need sunglasses for on dvd!! I can't wait!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Wait til May 21 and June 4 then. 2.35:1 titles in P&S only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks